Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 22:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
drpullockaran : .. Its the best battery barring none available in India as far as specifications go. Comparing any other battery to this is like comparing an Indica to a Veyron. There is no contest.

http://www.cumminsindia.com/cdss/pdf...ries_Final.pdf

http://www.cumminsindia.com:8080/cds...20Benefits.pdf
@Doctor, had asked about Cummins batteries sometime back. Any help to understand what max capacity we can go for is weclome.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...k-battery.html

Quote:
manim : My Exide OEM Battery lasted only 2.8 years, since yours is already 3 years old dump it and get a new one.
@manim, replacement of one's battery should be on a case-to-case basis. Just because one battery lasted only 2.8 years, does not mean the other one will not last longer. Let us check what's the problem with the battery in question before asking him to replace it.

Last edited by condor : 20th October 2010 at 22:54.
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
replacement of one's battery should be on a case-to-case basis. Just because one battery lasted only 2.8 years, does not mean the other one will not last longer. Let us check what's the problem with the battery in question before asking him to replace it.
I will be checking with the technician at Bombay Batteries tomorrow (Saturday), since the weekend is the only time I can devote to this task. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations, everyone.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I will be checking with the technician at Bombay Batteries tomorrow (Saturday), since the weekend is the only time I can devote to this task. Will keep everyone posted.
Did that. Went to BB in the morning - they sent a technician with me, who checked the car's electrical system and declared it fine. Took the battery to the store, where a short test showed it to be dead. Bought an Amaron (6000 - 500 discount for the old battery). Hopefully things will work fine (the BB chap says Amaron will last for 4-5 years).
Old 9th November 2010, 19:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Batteries typically last 3 years - catch hold of your local battery dealer and get him to jumpstart the car and test your existing battery.

Then follow his recommendations. IMO, you'll need a new battery.
My Honda Civic's battery failed after 17 months (15700 kms) - I checked with a battery shop and he confirmed it needed to be replaced. I bought an Exide for Rs.4980 in Chennai (this includes the exchange discount for the old battery). Based on the responses in the forum, I asked for an Amaron, but the guy said Exide has lesser problem and has a 5 year warranty (full warranty for 30 months and a % discount thereafter if the battery cannot be fixed). The service was really good; the guy showed up in an hour and replaced the battery. I had called the Honda dealer earlier and he said the battery would cost Rs.6000/-.
Old 14th September 2011, 20:49   #20
BHPian

Re: Battery advice for a Honda Civic

I will have to replace the battery for my 2008 model Honda Civic that had Exide SF 46B24L battery. I called up Magnum Honda, Bangalore to find the right battery. They said it is Exide SF 55B24LSZM which is also shown in SF SONIC : Find My Batteries : Automotive . Whereas, Exide BATMobile helpline recommended MA45L. I have two questions for the Civic owners
1. Which one from the above two should I go for?
2. Do you recommend Amaron for the Civic? If yes, what is the model no.?
Old 15th September 2011, 14:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatunto View Post
2. Do you recommend Amaron for the Civic? If yes, what is the model no.?
I have Amaron battery in my CIVIC for past 6 months, it's working fine without any issues.
I have extensively used Amaron batteries(OHC, 800 now civic), not even once they have gone bad, batteries have lasted really long.

Check here for the civic model n info
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2394480
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 21:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatunto View Post
...what is the model no.?
Amaron 55B24LS is my model number, bought for Rs.4,950 minus 400 for my old one, way back in Feb-2010.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 12:21   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the help guys. However due to lack of time, I had to opt for the safe option of the same brand as it was there earlier. I took the SF 55B24LSZM.
Old 15th August 2012, 12:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys My Civic may need a new battery soon ( Will be buying by this sat) but i am a little confused to decide between Exide and Amaron.Now i am aware of the long running thread dedicated to the Exide battery woes but i happened to have a Exide max battery in my oldie 800 and it was a ok experience with same.

I am actually getting a good deal for the Exide 5900 (minus buy back) for 3 years replacement warranty with additional 2 year for pro-rata exchange ie total 5 years.This battery is 45Amp so please correct me if it's wrong for the Civic. There is also additional scope for the price of 5.9k to come down as mentioned by the dealer.Now this battery is Exide Matrix and is permanently sealed for life but i have read on t-bhp that if the temp gets too hot there is chance of water in battery getting dried up or something.The battery also has a green indicator thingy

On the other hand i have Amaron (yet to approach dealer) which is around
6.8K and after buy back it would cost me ~6.k and 3 years replacement warranty.I am tempted by the Exide as it's less than 6K but i am yet to make a decision.So please advise me on same. I have till sat before i make a decision.

The Exide battery (max) on my oldie 800 had a 18 month warranty and was bought in May 2010 and seems to be running ok till date.It did had to be charged twice but that was due to the fact the alternatore on my 15 year old was reaching the end of it's servicable life.The exide matrix does seem value for money.

thanks all.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 15th August 2012 at 12:03.
Old 15th August 2012, 13:12   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I am actually getting a good deal for the Exide 5900 (minus buy back) for 3 years replacement warranty with additional 2 year for pro-rata exchange ie total 5 years.This battery is 45Amp so please correct me if it's wrong for the Civic. There is also additional scope for the price of 5.9k to come down as mentioned by the dealer.Now this battery is Exide Matrix and is permanently sealed for life but i have read on t-bhp that if the temp gets too hot there is chance of water in battery getting dried up or something.The battery also has a green indicator thing
Sumeet, I have been using an Exide Matrix in my Altis since June 2010. It has held up so far. It was charged once as the car was not used much. The Altis uses the same 45AH battery as the Civic.

One BHPian has had a problem with the Matrix and he went in for an Amaron. He could get no replacement as he had misplaced the warranty card.

This caused me a bit of concern though my particular battery works perfectly so far.

BTW it has a 30 month replacement and 30 month pro-rata warranty. It IS at risk of losing water should charging voltage and ambient temps be high constantly. I took a calculated risk by buying a Matrix 2 years ago but try to monitor the battery at regular intervals.

As for Exide or Amaron - I'd say it is entirely your choice. If the Matrix costs less then go in for it.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th August 2012 at 13:13.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 14:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but i am a little confused to decide between Exide and Amaron.
I have tried Amaron twice and both times I have burnt my fingers. Their batteries just don't last that long, at least for me. It would be better for you to stick with Exide Freedom.
Old 15th August 2012, 14:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
BTW it has a 30 month replacement and 30 month pro-rata warranty.
yes my bad , i thought it was 3 years wherein it's actually 2.5 years )30 months)replacement.Started to get's doubts about same (matrix) as my car remains idle for 3-4 days and is used mostly on weekends.
Old 18th August 2012, 19:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Got a Amaron Pro 30 month warranty for 5570 after 400 bucks old battery buy back.It worked out cheaper than the exide i guess.The previous battery was also was a Amaron pro and lasted 4 years so i am hoping and praying for atleast 3 years of peace of mind of service from my new battery.
Old 20th August 2012, 16:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Got a Amaron Pro 30 month warranty for 5570 after 400 bucks old battery buy back.
Mine is also Amaran PRO, model: 55B24LS, Rs.4,950 (during Feb 2010) minus Rs.400 for old Exide, so Rs.4,550 nett. Now at 2.5 years it is doing well.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 11:12   #30
BANNED

I had bought an Amaron for my Santro four years ago with a four year warranty. Last year it packed up (two weak cells). The dealer told me that replacing it under warranty will cost me more than replacing it outside of warranty. Reason is that both the pro-rata reduction and the battery price is on the MRP and not the street price. We calculated and it was true, so I just traded it in for a three year battery.

Our experience over the years with Amaron has been excellent. So I will stick with them.

Most Viewed