Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2005, 15:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

Another interesting piece of trivia for ya guys related to static.

There was an experiment in which researchers kept lots of mobile phones near fuel(Gasoline, diesel etc.,) and then dialled calls on them. Then they made a device to automatically pick up calls also, but they found that mobile phones have no relation to fires at fuel pumps.

But most of the cases reported had listed witnesses as saying that the customer was using a mobile phone. They also found an interesting fact that most of these cases were in case of women, and that too when the petrol pump was lonely. It was then the mystery was solved.

You see, when men go to fuel pumps. the guy would get out of the car. Fill the fuel, close the lid, swipe his card and go. But in case of women in remote locations or late at night, they would get out of the car. Put the pipe in and switch on the fuel and then go sit inside the car as they felt more safe. Also in order to feel even more secure many would whip out their cell phones also. When the fuel got full they would quickly get out of the car and then take pipe out of fuel tank. Now the woman has sat inside the car and got out. Rubbing against the seat would cause her to statically charge up. So when she would take out the hose, she may touch the body of the car near the fuel lid or the metal hose and this produce a spark leading to fire. In case one the man gets out of the car and touches the fuel dispenser which is yet to start. So a static discharge there would not necessarily mean fire. But in case two the fuel dispenser has let out fuel and there are vapours near the fuel tank lid.

Thus static was found to be the reason for most fuel station fires.
Old 12th December 2005, 00:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

This never happened to me... Is it because it can't/rarely happens in hot weather. FYI, i live in Chennai and most of u would call it as 'summer always'.
Old 12th December 2005, 18:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Another interesting piece of trivia for ya guys related to static.

There was an experiment in which researchers kept lots of mobile phones near fuel(Gasoline, diesel etc.,) and then dialled calls on them. Then they made a device to automatically pick up calls also, but they found that mobile phones have no relation to fires at fuel pumps.

But most of the cases reported had listed witnesses as saying that the customer was using a mobile phone. They also found an interesting fact that most of these cases were in case of women, and that too when the petrol pump was lonely. It was then the mystery was solved.

You see, when men go to fuel pumps. the guy would get out of the car. Fill the fuel, close the lid, swipe his card and go. But in case of women in remote locations or late at night, they would get out of the car. Put the pipe in and switch on the fuel and then go sit inside the car as they felt more safe. Also in order to feel even more secure many would whip out their cell phones also. When the fuel got full they would quickly get out of the car and then take pipe out of fuel tank. Now the woman has sat inside the car and got out. Rubbing against the seat would cause her to statically charge up. So when she would take out the hose, she may touch the body of the car near the fuel lid or the metal hose and this produce a spark leading to fire. In case one the man gets out of the car and touches the fuel dispenser which is yet to start. So a static discharge there would not necessarily mean fire. But in case two the fuel dispenser has let out fuel and there are vapours near the fuel tank lid.

Thus static was found to be the reason for most fuel station fires.
Nice info there, tsk.

Mobiles phones are not "Intrinsically Safe" and are thus not recommended in an enclosed vapour rich atmosphere. However, IMHO, a neighbourhood fuel stop can hardly be regarded as "enclosed and Vapour Rich".

Cheers
Old 12th December 2005, 18:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
This never happened to me... Is it because it can't/rarely happens in hot weather. FYI, i live in Chennai and most of u would call it as 'summer always'.
Chennai is humid. Static is not dependent on temperature - you get it in cold dry weather as well.

The coastal areas will never experience static. For eg. there is no static while I am in Dubai, but if I travelled to Riyadh or some other such dry place there would be plenty of it. The only coastal place that Ive experienced static in was Kuwait, which was also VERY dry despite being on the coast.
Old 28th March 2007, 17:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Electric current from front door

I don't know if its normal or not, i do experience occasional electric shock upon touching the metal part of the driver door. Usually when i get down after driving the car.
Anyone experienced this?
Old 28th March 2007, 17:40   #21
BHPian

What shoes do you wear? It depends on that. When i wear my leathers I dont have this shock. In my sports shoes (reeboks) i get the tiny static jolt.

Superavi
Old 28th March 2007, 17:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

It doesnt matter what i wear. yesterday with slippers i got the shock, and today with reeboks.
Old 28th March 2007, 17:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
I don't know if its normal or not, i do experience occasional electric shock upon touching the metal part of the driver door. Usually when i get down after driving the car.
Anyone experienced this?
I get these shocks almost daily ( not limited to car even when I shake hands .. super charged lol ! ) . Its the static charge produced in the body. It can be from variety of reason eg. type of clothes you wear, dry hairs etc. The body discharges when you touch the door.

Last edited by navdeep : 28th March 2007 at 17:50.
Old 28th March 2007, 17:53   #24
BHPian

The build-up of static electricity can depend on the atmospheric conditions and if you rubbed any particular surface, which could be as simple as combing your hair (dry hair). I normally do not get the static shock, but rarely, yes, I get it when I touch the door (normally the first part of the car I would come in contact with).

That said, it should be noted that some people are more prone to static shock. I have a friend to get static shock very often, and not just from the car door.
Old 28th March 2007, 17:55   #25
BHPian

Hey, on the bright side, you can say you have an electrifying personality!!
Old 28th March 2007, 18:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

The best way to discharge is take the key out and touch it with the lock on drivers door. I used to get a lot of these myself. Its nothing related to car.
Old 28th March 2007, 18:14   #27
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
I get these shocks almost daily ( not limited to car even when I shake hands .. super charged lol ! )
LOL... me too.
The best ever was when a parking guy got a good one with sound effect too. He was just handing over the parking slip.... his hand probably just came close didn't even touch. .. He ran 5 meters away.....

BTW... we people should avoid touching electronic components (specially computer internals)... without properly discharging our body....

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Its nothing related to car.
Yes... but... I mostly get charged after I have driven/ get out of the car.

Last edited by SLK : 28th March 2007 at 18:19.
Old 28th March 2007, 18:15   #28
BHPian

These are pretty strong, there was a time when I was giving my car keys to service guys and both of us got a pretty heavy shock .. wonder where the electricity come from (Hope not from my electric personality )

Any ways the door shocks are a regular feature for me, the work around I have found is not to touch the metal parts of the door...
Seems stupid but it helps my cause.

Hey good to know that so many people are having the same problem.
I thought I was "ALAG" pun intended.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th March 2007 at 19:56. Reason: merging posts
Old 28th March 2007, 18:29   #29
BHPian

i guess foot wear doesnt matter,
is this shock more during winters? or cold climate ?
Old 28th March 2007, 18:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

@ guys - i never got the static shock in my Padmini. but i do get the daily dose of the shock when i drive my dad's m800. happens mostly when i try to lock the door.
but surprizingly, it happens only on the driver's side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks