Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 17:50   #76
BHPian

Let your shirt rub against a metal part. That'll discharge the current and you wont feel a thing.
Old 30th March 2008, 17:59   #77
Senior - BHPian

Touching your car key when u get put of the car to any part of the car.
Old 30th March 2008, 19:01   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In winters, the moisture content is low. So your body gets charged. When you touch the car, due to different in potential charge flows from body to car, hence the discharge. Infact when you are inside the car sitting on your synthetic seat cover, you rub against it and get charged. When you get out, shock again. Some people are more prone to static discharges(esp people who have dry skin condition). There is not much you can do about it except touch the car first with the back of your hand as the shock will hurt less at that point. Also use pure cotton seat covers, they are more static friendly.

Also if you are in an air conditioned room, this is more pronounced as air conditioning dries the air.
I agree..but for people with Dry Skin, it affects whether winter or not. I live in Chennai [summer always] and had this peculiar problem only in my Indica 02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
I used to have this static shocks very regularly in winter.
You can try these 2 steps as i found them working fine for me.
1.Touch any cement surface(for example pillars in your parking lot or boundary wall of your compound)before attempting to close your car doors.
(I touch the pillars in car parking lot,and when i forget to do this,i get a static shock).
2.Hold the carkey in your hands and touch the car body with the key.As the plastic portion of the key in your hands,it reduces the effect to great extent.
Hope these 2 help.
Jraj
will have to try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Usually happens when the weather is dry. When you get in the car first thing, always keep one foot out on the ground. This way you can safely touch the steering and turn the key without risk of static discharge.

Simple and foolproof. Works all the time - it just takes a while getting used to the "backside-in-first-and-one-foot-out" mode of entry. It may look strange to onlookers, too...
Steer, one gets charged while getting out of the car, not while getting in, i guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
This never happened to me... Is it because it can't/rarely happens in hot weather. FYI, i live in Chennai and most of u would call it as 'summer always'.
Maybe you are lucky to withstand the shock and your skin is not dry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph View Post
Or is there an interpretation that this might be because of any electric leakage in the car's circuit?
Any comments?
No no not electric leakages in the cars circuit..Its just the charging of the body with the fabric of the seat as tsk had pointed out!
Old 31st March 2008, 00:56   #79
Senior - BHPian

Use of a nice moisturizing soap definitely helps. I used to have this problem in Bangalore when I shifted here. Used to be very pronounced from Jan to May, the dry months. Used to get hit left, right and centre. Car, office, @ home... switched over to a nice moisturizing soap and the problem reduced.

Doesn't help if you wear a jacket while driving. Rexin seat covers also add to the problem.
Old 31st March 2008, 03:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Electrolytes changed

I had so much trouble with this that I had my potassium and phosphorus electroytes changed at a hospital in Chandigarh. I am now using synthetic electrolytes. They last longer and they give more protection upon cold wake-ups in the morning.
Old 31st March 2008, 07:57   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I had so much trouble with this that I had my potassium and phosphorus electroytes changed at a hospital in Chandigarh. I am now using synthetic electrolytes. They last longer and they give more protection upon cold wake-ups in the morning.
Electrolytes changed @ hospital? Can you elaborate?
Old 31st March 2008, 08:46   #82
Senior - BHPian

I get this static shock not only from Car's doors but also from metal door knobs etc. I'm so scared to touch them at once. What I do in order to avoid a big arc discharge through my fingers is to touch the car/door with two of my palms first. Then the intensity of the discharge will be so less that u won't even feel it.

One more way to avoid a big shock from car's door handle is to touch the car's door with the metallic part of the key, at the same time you touching the other end of the same metallic part.

It only happens with me in Blr/abroad where the moisture content is very low. In Kerala there's no such thing!!
Old 31st March 2008, 08:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
The best way is to touch the ground before you move out of the car, or open the door wide, and rub your back to the car, that ways no static shock..!
One HAS to touch the ground before getting out of the car but the insulation of your footwear doesnt allow the static to earth.
Old 31st March 2008, 09:05   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
One HAS to touch the ground before getting out of the car but the insulation of your footwear doesnt allow the static to earth.
Thats right. With some footwear the intensity of the shock is high, but with some others, it is okay. You can very well feel the difference if you're wearing a woodland's shoe and a normal chappal for instance.
Old 31st March 2008, 12:15   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Superb!

Brilliant!

But did you have to match the electrolyte in your car battery? And did this treatment invalidate your warranty?
Old 25th October 2009, 05:55   #86

Strange.!! But it happens

Friends, would like to share a somewhat strange phenomenon which I am encountering quite frequently.

I get electrically 'Charged-up" whenever I drive or ride in a car.
  • The moment I step out and get earthed (i.e. touch some conductor, metal) I get Shock.
  • After stepping out of car, if I touch someone (like handshake) the other person too experiences shock. Can't push the car door close without getting shock.
  • I have to wait for a few minutes (to get discharged) before using key to lock the car.
  • In dark once can actually see see spark between key and door keyhole.
  • Things are normal after approx. 10 minutes out of the car.
  • More prominent and severe during winters months (with woolens on), but experienced same even during my 6 years stay at Mumbai (no winters/ woolens).
  • Its is irrespective of car, be it Wagon R; Ambassador; Scorpio; Xylo; Palio etc.
Probable cause :
  • Static charge generation ( due woolens).
  • Have read somewhere, it is some sort of blood disorder (??, but I am Normal).
Know one more person with similar experiences.

Looking for reasons / solution, as I dread it and most of the time I wait someone to open the doors for me, be in office or home.
Old 25th October 2009, 10:45   #87
Senior - BHPian

It happens to me also sometimes (in winter) not very regularly though. Never happens in summer.
Old 25th October 2009, 10:49   #88
BHPian

Yes, I have experienced this too. Its quite a sharp jolt actually and it happens almost everyday. I have no idea why that happens.
Old 25th October 2009, 10:53   #89
BHPian

Nice to know am not the only one. Happens to me every day when I touch the door as I get off or walk close to the curtains at home after a drive. Yesterday touched the keyhole by mistake and got a mild shock. Is it just me or something with the car?
Old 25th October 2009, 10:56   #90
oss
BHPian

It's because of static electricity build-up. It used to happen a lot when i was in US/UK, as one hardly comes in contact with earth. The walls are wooden and the floor is carpeted. When you come in contact with the metal door the sudden discharge happens, sometimes with a small cracking sound and you get a jolt.

Check the type of cloth you wear and your living/working enviornment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks