Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 14:13   #1
BHPian

My i10 was half-submerged in yesterday's rains!

So, after my i10's periodic service yesterday, we went out shopping and decided to stay in a store for some time as it was raining very heavily and the parking spot was a bit away from the store.

To my utter horror when I came out after the rains had slightly receded, I saw the car partially submerged in water, and when I opened its door, there was water inside the interiors and possibly in the exhaust pipe and elsewhere.

I am going again to the service guys again to get the interiors vacuumed and dried. But before that, I wanted your opinions on what all do I need to get checked. I've been given an initial quote of Rs. 2500 for this work.

Thanks!
Old 25th October 2010, 01:20   #2
BHPian

been there buddy my linea got kinda submerged in floods that ravaged north india few months back.
the service guys came and took the car to the service station removed the interior,seats, carpet, mats et al vaccumed , cleaned , polished the dash. was certainly worth the money but i guess i paid Rs2000.
IMHO go for it and do tell them to take care of the ac pipe, some mechanic over there didnt take it out properly or what the water used to seep in when ac was on, but they did vacuum and clean\dry the mat once again for free, so no problems.

Last edited by ishlinea7260 : 25th October 2010 at 01:21. Reason: TYPO!
Old 25th October 2010, 12:29   #3
BHPian

you guys are damn lucky. this monsoons my 4 month old sx4 got stuck rain water till the knees. it was no where near the engine but still the water had entered the cabin. i pushed my car out of the water and then threw out as much water as i could. to my horror the power steering was dead. within a day the power windows and central locking were gone and the airbag was showing a red light. eventually i came to know that most of the electronics of the car had gone bad. i got a staggering bill of 70K!!!! even after taking the insurance i had to pay about 16k. after 15 days i got my car and she has been running fine since then.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:48   #4
BHPian

At 2500/- this is good to go. No issues. Ensure to insist them to check all the electrical connections properly. Not only this, check your front disc brake shoes and rear drum brakes also.
Old 25th October 2010, 15:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2010 at 10:55.
rajeev k is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th October 2010, 16:17   #6
BHPian

Had a similar experience with my Logan 1 year back on Vittal Mallya Road, Bangalore
Water was in and around the place. While there were no damages, the interior was stinking real bad.

The service guys took it vacuumed dried and returned it.
Didn't charge me anything, luckily.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:33   #7
BANNED

FYI from: How this startup simplifies law for the common man! - Rediff.com Business

"Another complaint was from Rohit Mehrotra,a car owner who went to a shopping mall in Mumbai, parked the car at the basement parking area of the mall and after four hours when he returned he was shocked to see that the whole car parking was flooded with rain water and his car was totally submerged. The water entered the car and completely damaged the interiors, including seats, dashboard, gearbox, etc, and also damaged external car parts, including the engine.
A total sum of Rs 125,000 was spent to get the car repaired and to bring it back in its workable condition. Again such a situation is covered by the Consumer Protection Act."

HTH
Old 27th October 2010, 12:37   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I am taking the delivery today. Final bill is Rs. 1800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
At 2500/- this is good to go. No issues. Ensure to insist them to check all the electrical connections properly. Not only this, check your front disc brake shoes and rear drum brakes also.
Yogesh,

Can I check all the electrical connections and brakes myself? Will simply checking the lights, the AC, wiper blades (anything else?) and seeing if the brakes are working properly suffice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
FYI from: How this startup simplifies law for the common man! - Rediff.com Business

"Another complaint was from Rohit Mehrotra,a car owner who went to a shopping mall in Mumbai, parked the car at the basement parking area of the mall and after four hours when he returned he was shocked to see that the whole car parking was flooded with rain water and his car was totally submerged. The water entered the car and completely damaged the interiors, including seats, dashboard, gearbox, etc, and also damaged external car parts, including the engine.
A total sum of Rs 125,000 was spent to get the car repaired and to bring it back in its workable condition. Again such a situation is covered by the Consumer Protection Act."

HTH
Thanks for the link, Ragul. Since I parked my car a bit away from the store (they didn't have any parking ), I don't think I can blame them.
Old 29th October 2010, 01:00   #9
BHPian

Update: Took the delivery today, only to find that the hand-brake has become tighter and
is making a strange noise when being activated. Any idea what this could be due to? Taking it back
to the service center tomorrow

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 29th October 2010 at 01:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks