Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 11:03   #1
BHPian

Unhappy with the Hyundai i10 A/T Brakes

I need everyones advice. My Hyundai i10 A/T (manufactured July 2009) has been to HMP Mumbai on 3 ocassions specifically to have the brake set/fixed. I have explained to them on each ocassion that:
  1. The wheels lock very easily; sometimes when applying the brake with even a light foot
  2. The braking is unequal. I can feel when I a brake very gradually at slow speeds that the left rear wheel is catching on to the brake first. Additionally the brake catches at one section in the drum and slips through the remainder part of the drum.
  3. There is no braking force applied for a at lest 2 to 4 mm of pedal being depressed. Each time they bring it up, after about 3 months its back down there. No loss of oil noticed.
So far, they have changed just a few pins that they said were causing the calliper to not deploy properly and a few seals in the front wheels. Its the unequal braking that annoys me the most and is most noticable when the brakes are cold. I also feel very unsafe sometimes particulary because my wife drives this to work.

I would appreciate any advice on what I should have checked and recommend me to a provately owned workshop in Bombay for the same that in your opinion will do a god job.

Thank you.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:20   #2
BANNED

I have a Santro AT since 2005. The Santro and i10 share a lot, so I think my experience may be of help. Firstly, in an AT car there is no reverse braking, so you will be lucky to get 20,000km out of the pads. I am on my third set of pads, and second set of rear shoes, with only 41,000 on the clock!

What you are describing sounds that the rear brakes may need adjusting. Also, by the sound of it the brake balance is somewhat out. Since changing the EBD unit is expensive I suggest you go to a good independent workshop and get this checked out. Also, you may be able to get aftermarket pads/shoes which are of a better quality.

Let me add that Hyundai brakes have never been great (I had an Accent from 2002 till this year), but in terms of durability the Santro (and I guess the i10) are real bad.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
...I am on my third set of pads, and second set of rear shoes, with only 41,000 on the clock!...

...Since changing the EBD unit is expensive ...
Thanks Doc. I have asked them repeatedly to chage the pads if worn out and charge them to me, but they insist that they are absolutely in good condition. I must mention that I haven't seen them personally as they refuse to let me in the work area.

The car has currently clocked ~16,000 Kms, hence even I was quite sure that a replacement would be the order of the day given that it is an auto and the car is always driven spiritedly.

I don't think any of the i10s have an EBD unit. Is that correct or did I miss something?
Old 27th October 2010, 13:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Thanks Doc. I have asked them repeatedly to chage the pads if worn out and charge them to me, but they insist that they are absolutely in good condition.
Sometimes, the quality of pads may also be the reason. I had once defective pads in my IKON, and they would just refuse to wear off. The breaking efficiency/feel was also highly reduced, and guess what, instead of the pads, it was the break discs, that was wearing off.

I would recommend to change the break pads, to new/better quality ones irrespective of the condition of the old pads.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Sometimes, the quality of pads may also be the reason. I had once defective pads in my IKON, and they would just refuse to wear off. The breaking efficiency/feel was also highly reduced, and guess what, instead of the pads, it was the break discs, that was wearing off.

I would recommend to change the break pads, to new/better quality ones irrespective of the condition of the old pads.
This is indeed interesting. I will do just that. In anycase I think a change is due. I will have them inspected this time in front of me. But I will also need someone competent to look at the other things I have mentioned; Unequal braking etc. Thanks

Last edited by NevGin : 27th October 2010 at 16:07. Reason: Added a few words
Old 27th October 2010, 16:20   #6
BANNED

@NevGin: Sorry for using the term EBD. Inside the bonnet you will see a proportioning valve, which distributes the braking between the front and the back. this is what I was referring to.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@NevGin: Sorry for using the term EBD. Inside the bonnet you will see a proportioning valve, which distributes the braking between the front and the back. this is what I was referring to.
Got it. Thank you for the clarification. I will surely have that looked at as well.
Old 31st October 2010, 13:14   #8
BHPian

@sgiitk sir, if we shift the transmission to the position marked 2 from D (while running), is it not same as putting the vehicle into second gear and produce at least some amount of engine braking?

Is it not advisable to shift the transmission while the car is running?

I own a Santro AT, once when it was running at 80kmph, I switched off O/D and I felt that the car shifted to 3rd gear (more engine noise) and slowed down a bit. But I have not tried shifting the transmission from D to any other position while the car is running.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:51   #9
BANNED

Shifting to 2 is telling the transmission to work in just 1 & 2. As soon as the speed permits it will drop down to 2 and then work in 2 and 1 only. You definitely get reverse braking in 1/L. I guess it must be there in 2 also. Since basically you have a 3+OD transmission you will not get reverse braking in 3. I doubt whether you got any braking with OD off. A tallboy will have a high wind resistance. Of course as soon as you try and pick up speed you will get higher revs. My experience is that the transmission shifts to 4 (OD) at about 60kph!

Most Viewed