Team-BHP - Automatic Climate Control issue in Suzuki SX4
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Automatic Climate Control issue in Suzuki SX4 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/91344-automatic-climate-control-issue-suzuki-sx4.html)

Hello All,

I have bought a SX4 in July 2010 and it has run 7500 kms so far. Now coming to the point. SX4 zxi has got Automatic Climate control as you all know. The issue is, it behaves in rather strange way with respect to the outside temperature.I usually drive with temp settings at 23-24 degrees Celcius in the auto mode. Now if the temerature outside which is displayed in the temp meter on the dashboard is above 24 degrees, I get the very comfy feeling inside the car.Now if it suddenly rains or outside temparature drops to 22 or below, the inside of the car becomes rather hot and the passengers get a uncomfy feeling.The only solution is to reduce the ACC settings to something below the outside temparature disaplayed on temp meter.

I have complained about this to MASS and they simply dont understand and I left the car for four days to troubleshoot. They haven't done anything and asked me to use manual mode in such cases:Frustrati

What I understand of ACC is, regardless of outside temparature the inside temparature should be maintained at what we have set and this is what I have experienced on other cars with ACC.

Have anyone of you faced this issue and if yes did you get this fixed? Any thoughts would be of great help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S5157 (Post 2123473)

What I understand of ACC is, regardless of outside temparature the inside temparature should be maintained at what we have set and this is what I have experienced on other cars with ACC.

The Automatic climate control does work by looking at the temperature outside but I agree it should maintain the temperature you have set inside.

But you also need to understand that in sudden weather change, it will need some time to adjust itself.

Isnt that what your ACC is supposed to do? When the outside temperature is less than the inside set temperature, it has to blow warm air, because it assumes the inside temperature is what is set by you.

It is the same on all cars with ACC. Though the SX4 might be a little more sensitive than others.

And the solution posted by you is the only one, which is lowering the temperature..

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 2123515)
But you also need to understand that in sudden weather change, it will need some time to adjust itself.

Hi Dadu,
The issue is that it never adjusts itself even if I waited for 30 minutes. I suppose that is reasonable time for it to adjust.I have to wait for outside temparature to rise the above the limit I set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 2123517)
Isnt that what your ACC is supposed to do? When the outside temperature is less than the inside set temperature, it has to blow warm air, because it assumes the inside temperature is what is set by you.

It is the same on all cars with ACC. Though the SX4 might be a little more sensitive than others.

And the solution posted by you is the only one, which is lowering the temperature..

Hi Akshay1234,

The issue is if I lower the temparature then its too chilling. I want to maintain 23-24 inside the cabin always. I guess there are sensors inside so that it measures what is the cabin temparature. You start to sweat once this situation occurs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S5157 (Post 2123528)
Hi Akshay1234,

The issue is if I lower the temparature then its too chilling. I want to maintain 23-24 inside the cabin always. I guess there are sensors inside so that it measures what is the cabin temparature. You start to sweat once this situation occurs.

Well then it seems the SX4 dosent have such a good climate control on offer. But why not try it with some other SX4 just to be sure.

I haven't tried a different Sx4 yet. But once my friend who owns a non-vvt sx4 travelled with me and mentioned that he doesn't have this issue.

I have a Swift ZXI with the climate control and have noticed this behaviour as well. The climate control just tries to maintain the temperature set by you regardless of the outside temperature (it measures primarily inside temperature). I just do the following - reduce the temperature till I get comfortable and leave it at that or put it on manual mode for a while till the interior cools down then put back to auto mode at a not so cold temperature. This seems to do the trick. Dont bother asking Maruti to fix a behaviour that for them is working as designed.

Regardless of outside temperature, the ACC is supposed to maintain the set temperature inside the cabin.

Get a thermometer and check the fluctuation of the temperature within the cabin in different conditions. It should be more or less the same though out, regardless of sun or rain outside.

please check, if the cabin temp sensor vent is not blocked.

if they are clean get the sensors checked.

this is an image shot from a swift zxi manual. i am sure SX4 also has it somewhere.

Automatic Climate Control issue in Suzuki SX4-swift-climate-cntrl.jpg

Actually when the cabin reaches the desired temperature the fan speed slows down. but when due to rains or some other reasons there is a sudden drop in temperature and the cabin temperature is more than the ambient temp. the compressor also stops working. i also have the same issue in my sx4. i guess its a shortcoming of the acc by maruti.

so nothing seems wrong in your car. cheerios.

An air conditioning system working off the user set temp wil ALWAYS try to maintain the preset temp. It is the same everywhere. Even at my offices if its cold outside and slightly warmer inside the central cooling system will NOT equalise the temps and will only maintain airflow. In your case it assumes you want to be warm which is why you have to lower temperatures. If the system has a fully automatic option try using that without presetting temperatures. I have always more bothered about the drive rather than the air conditioning. I let my co-passenger/test monkey do that :P

I have a strange problem with my swift ZXI. When I change the temperature from 25 degrees to 32degrees, the blower blows air automatically towards feet even though it was set to blow air for face only. This I see only in Automatic mode.I have asked MASS to look into it. Any ideas where could be the problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozeninTime (Post 2124155)
I have a strange problem with my swift ZXI. When I change the temperature from 25 degrees to 32degrees, the blower blows air automatically towards feet even though it was set to blow air for face only. This I see only in Automatic mode.I have asked MASS to look into it. Any ideas where could be the problem?

FrozeninTime, This is Normal. The ACC is programmed to direct the air towards feet when using the heater mode, it also switches to fresh air mode automatically. This is normal in all cars with ACC. My Punto and Elantra both behave the same way, it's more comfortable in winters to have hot air blown to the feet rather than on face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S5157 (Post 2123473)
Have anyone of you faced this issue and if yes did you get this fixed? Any thoughts would be of great help.

Yes, I have the exact same "issue". Incidentally, my car is also July 2010 SX4-ZXi.

I have the exact same experience as you, and I am also wondering if the logic that decides the temperature of air being blown is messed up in SX4's ACC. I am pretty happy with the cooling capacity of the AC (and all those who have traveled in my car have agreed that the AC is very powerful), but the temperature settings on the knob often does not make sense.

What I have observed so far is that there is something wrong in either the internal temperature sensor or the logic of the unit. It is supposed to maintain constant internal temperature regardless of the outside temperature. For example, if I keep my knob on 23C, then regardless of whether outside temperature is 30C or 20C, I should feel the same level of coolness inside. Unfortunately, this does not happen. As you have correctly pointed out, if the outside temperature is 20C, then there is practically no cold air being blown in if I keep my setting to 23C. I need to bring the known down to 20C or below to get some cold air in.

I have not faced this issue in any other car with ACC, and hence I do not believe in the argument that this is how all ACCs work.

Anyway, now-a-days I do not pay attention to the temperature numbers on the knob, and just adjust it to whatever position that seems to work well, and then onwards the ACC does a great job of keeping the temperature fixed at that point. Thus there is no real problem here. The only problem is that if one day 25C feels comfortable, I need to set the knob to 21C (for example) to get the same level of comfort on some other day.

We have a Swift-Zxi with ACC and yet I have always preferred the manual mode for atleast a couple of reasons : ACC mode goes with FreshAir mode, while I prefer Recirculate mode. Also sometimes I found it getting warm inside - never tried investigating the reason though. But anyday give me the Baleno a/c - switch on and get chilled interiors instantly.