Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 03:49   #1
BHPian

small bubbles in engine oil dipstick

Yesterday when engine was hot, just to check the oil condition i opened the dip stick and found small bubbles, is this common ?

Car is running good with no issues, Radiator running fine, Coolant is normal level, everything as usual.... please tell me is small air bubbles common on dipstick when engine is hot. b/w engine oil was replaced 3.5k km back only.

Thanks
Old 31st October 2010, 06:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If the engine oil check when cool does not show any abnormality this is okay. When engine is running the constant oil splash in the sump is cause of these bubbles.
Old 31st October 2010, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

There's a chance that oil was filled beyond max. level.
Can you post macro pictures of the bubbles?
Old 31st October 2010, 18:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi John,
Check the oil level when cold and while parked on a level surface.
If the level is within acceptable limits then everything's fine. Bubbles you saw when the engine was hot is also fine.
If the level is more than recommended then the bubbles you saw is because of excessive splashing and frothing. If the level is too much above the max permissible level then its wise to drain some off.
Old 31st October 2010, 21:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

The bubbles you see may be the result of foaming. Usually lubricating oils have additives to prevent foaming. What grade of oil (SC, SD, SE, SF etc) was used last time is important to assess. Some garages use diesel as flushing media and if not properly drained could cause foaming.

Check in cold condition and anyhow better to have a drain and refill with a proper lube.
Old 31st October 2010, 23:48   #6
BHPian

Thanks for reply guys,

Today my temp gauge started moving above normal. I travelled about 30km within the city then i noticed temp gauge going above normal and fan is not stopping and is continuously running, i got scared and switched off engine (also reached my friend's place). when i opened bonnet, coolant level was above max till the cap and no leakage or no oil trace, everything looked normal.

Then I started car after 6hrs (was at my friends b'day party), on returning home nothing happened, but once i parked my car in my apartment, fan started running....usually it cuts-off by 1-2mins, but tonight it didnt, it was still running after 5mins....i kept on waiting until it auto cut-off, but it didnt happen, when i looked at the temp gauge, it was increasing to "H", i got scared and switched off the engine...now i dont know what to do.

please tell me what is gone wrong, there is no coolant spill, everything looks normal inside engine room. b/w Oil was changed 3.5k km back in bimal, i guess they use castrol and when cold oil levels are within the limits.

around 200-300km back i had changed Packing Gasket, where part of throttle body was removed, this was the recent operation performed on the car, could this have made some damage to sensors ? please help me to get this fixed.
Old 31st October 2010, 23:54   #7
BANNED

Chances are

1) Water pump might have packed up
2) Engine oil levels are down

While the 1) point might be the actual reason.

You start getting that light bearing noise, if the water pump is gone.

There is no other problem in an 800, apart from that.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 1st November 2010 at 00:00.
Old 31st October 2010, 23:57   #8
BHPian

Thanks Pavan,

Water pump belt is running, will it run if waterpump is damaged, how will i know if its not doing its job ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks