Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 16:05   #1

Octavia humming noise

Dear friends,

This is my first post after becoming a member last week. I have bought a Skoda Octavia (1.9 diesel) in May 2009. Its travelled 16000 km so far, but from an early date (say July 2009) there is this weird noise that was coming from the front of the car and was pretty audible in the passenger area too. At first I did not know what it is, but recently once when the noise was coming, I turned off the airconditioner/ compressor and the noise went immediately. Then again when I started it, it resumed. This noise comes for about 10-15 seconds and sometimes it is loud and sometimes not loud. So I presume this is something to do with the airconditioner. It is a loud humming kind of noise, although it is difficult to explain it exactly.

One more thing I noticed is that, this noise does not come when the car is running at a reasonably good speed or even moving at a slow speed. If there is a traffic jam (always in some parts of Mumbai), the noise starts again in 5-10 minutes of the jam. Once the traffic clears and the car starts moving again, the noise slowly disappears.

I wanted to know what is this problem and how to sort it out. This was happening even in my first Skoda Octavia (2.0 petrol) bought in 2004 and sold in 2009. Also on talking to other Octavia owners, they don't seem to face this problem. Please help with your suggestions.

Thanks.
ashvtosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2010, 20:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Cooling fan related may be?
You are in warranty, why not take it to the dealer without worrying much?
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess you're talking about the 2nd fan speed or the 2nd fan itself of the air conditioner which is turned on to cool the compressor. When the car moves, there is outside the air flow which cools the compressor, and hence it is turned off and therefore no sound. Nothing to worry, I guess.

- Experts please comment.
Old 18th March 2020, 21:01   #4
BHPian

Re: Octavia humming noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvtosh View Post
Dear friends,

This is my first post after becoming a member last week. I have bought a Skoda Octavia (1.9 diesel) in May 2009. Its travelled 16000 km so far, but from an early date (say July 2009) there is this weird noise that was coming from the front of the car and was pretty audible in the passenger area too. At first I did not know what it is, but recently once when the noise was coming, I turned off the airconditioner/ compressor and the noise went immediately. Then again when I started it, it resumed. This noise comes for about 10-15 seconds and sometimes it is loud and sometimes not loud. So I presume this is something to do with the airconditioner. It is a loud humming kind of noise, although it is difficult to explain it exactly.

One more thing I noticed is that, this noise does not come when the car is running at a reasonably good speed or even moving at a slow speed. If there is a traffic jam (always in some parts of Mumbai), the noise starts again in 5-10 minutes of the jam. Once the traffic clears and the car starts moving again, the noise slowly disappears.

I wanted to know what is this problem and how to sort it out. This was happening even in my first Skoda Octavia (2.0 petrol) bought in 2004 and sold in 2009. Also on talking to other Octavia owners, they don't seem to face this problem. Please help with your suggestions.

Thanks.
Hi,
Could you get a solution to the problem then?
Though quite an old problem I thought of asking since I have a similar problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks