Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2017, 21:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Injector Cleaning in my Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I don't think adding a fuel additive would do any good or bad to the Coolant circulating around the cooling system while you drive. If at all the Getz displayed 70% of the Temperature gauge, that would be a case of overheating or air sucked into the cooking system or In short, one of the typical technical reasons for the car to overheat.

Sir, Ceratec is a friction modifier which is used with engine oil. The same additive which reduced the noise of my 800, remember?? While it didn't make any difference in heating, or may be I didn't notice, but noise levels and mileage drastically improved.

Recently used it in a friend's Fortuner and Innova too, and he too was impressed. The diesel clatter died down immediately.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 21:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
While it didn't make any difference in heating, or may be I didn't notice, but noise levels and mileage drastically improved.
Thanks Shashi, I do recall the product you had reviewed. My doubt was on the Engine Coolant temperatures which changed after using this and nothing to do with the Engine's behavioral characteristics like smoothness or vibrations. Did you also notice the same?

If at all there is a change with the coolant temperature too, then this product is simply outstanding.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 21:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I am currently using it on my Baleno sedan and very happy with it. Engine noise and vibes has reduced drastically while the temperature gauge hardly moves post 40% now. The bonnet seems to be cooler after a long drive. I also got this for a friend for his Getz and he too experienced similar results. His engine temperature would shoot up to 70% earlier is now at the middle.
I agree with the noise and vibration part, but I am surprised how can engine temperature change? I guess your car has a stuck thermostat valve in the car rather than the friction modifier doing its job.

Quote:
My doubt was on the Engine Coolant temperatures
If at all there is a change with the coolant temperature too, then this product is simply outstanding.
Exactly, astonished by the claim of engine running cooler. If it is really true then I want to give it a shot.

Quote:
While it didn't make any difference in heating, or may be I didn't notice, but noise levels and mileage drastically improved.

Recently used it in a friend's Fortuner and Innova too, and he too was impressed. The diesel clatter died down immediately.
Shashi, indeed for the older gen cars and cars which have covered significant kms on the odo, the friction modifiers will have a very noticeable difference in NVH and mileage. It will help for diesel engines as well. But how can it change the running temperature of the engine? Isnt the engine regulated to run at a certain fixed range of temperature? In my cars, it is always between 90-95deg C. 94 deg is when the radiator fan usually kicks in if the car is stationary. Until the ECT reaches its desired value, wont the thermostat be doing its job to reduce the coolant flow across the radiator?

The first part of the logic is lesser friction = lesser heat. But here we are speaking of a water cooled engine and not an air cooled engine. I guess this logic of lesser friction will hold good for air cooled bikes. For cars, it might reduce load on the radiator, but I dont think thats significant to show up on the temperature gauge since its calibrated to stay in one position as long as the engine is in operating temperature. It has been like that for me at least.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 22:35   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Exactly, astonished by the claim of engine running cooler. If it is really true then I want to give it a shot.
The first part of the logic is lesser friction = lesser heat. But here we are speaking of a water cooled engine and not an air cooled engine. I guess this logic of lesser friction will hold good for air cooled bikes. For cars, it might reduce load on the radiator, but I dont think thats significant to show up on the temperature gauge since its calibrated to stay in one position as long as the engine is in operating temperature. It has been like that for me at least.
+1 to that. That's why I said that even if it made any temperature difference in my car, I didn't notice it. As gauges are analog type, and not digital(showing the exact temperature of the coolant), small changes won't reflect on the temperature gauge.

I have used in more than 20 cars, including 3 diesels, and every car showed improvement in refinement and NVH, but none of them ever reported a perceived reduction in temperature. The biggest change was in a friend's Fortuner and Innova(old gen), where the clatter substantially died down.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 13:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised if I am reading this right.

In almost all cars which have a dial for Temperature Gauge, after the Engine coolant attains operating temperature, which is generally after 2 to 3 Kms of driving after cold start, the needle will settle at Halfway mark. The Gauge is calibrated in that manner that half = operating temperature.

I don't think adding a fuel additive would do any good or bad to the Coolant circulating around the cooling system while you drive. If at all the Getz displayed 70% of the Temperature gauge, that would be a case of overheating or air sucked into the cooking system or In short, one of the typical technical reasons for the car to overheat.

Even when you drive cars under harsh conditions, it is very rare that the needle would cross beyond 50% mark.

If the results regarding the temerature are really this good, you should compare another Baleno after it reached operating temperature and see if it varies by a good margin between your car and that one.
I do not deny the theory of the needle but I have observed this after switching to the Ceratec. The temperature gauge used to hover around half way mark before I added the Cerates. Now it is always below the halfway mark only creeping up in bumper to bumper traffic.

Well the story on the Getz is different after having a word with my friend after seeing the above comments. Yes he has indeed mixed Omega lubricant with the coolant. But this happened along with the Ceratec and so I believed the difference was due to the engine oil additive. The car is still doing great after 1.92l kms. The Ceratec was added when he got it just shy of 1.38l kms. I stand corrected on this point and ask for excuse for misleading the forum here. I am really sorry for the way I misled the members here.

To verify the temperature needle on the Baleno, I am getting it serviced in the coming week and this would mean an oil change. I will not add the additive this time during service to see if the car reverts back to its earlier way. If someone here who owns a Baleno can tell us how the temperature gauge needle on his car works, it would clear the doubts earlier.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 15:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

To verify the temperature needle on the Baleno, I am getting it serviced in the coming week and this would mean an oil change. I will not add the additive this time during service to see if the car reverts back to its earlier way. If someone here who owns a Baleno can tell us how the temperature gauge needle on his car works, it would clear the doubts earlier.
Liqui Moly claims that Ceratec's effects lasts till 50k kms. My friend who earlier worked in Liqui Moly Germany said that it's effect easily lasts till 30k kms in Indian conditions. So draining the oil won't change much as Ceratec forms a ceramic coating on the cylinder walls.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 17:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Liqui Moly claims that Ceratec's effects lasts till 50k kms. My friend who earlier worked in Liqui Moly Germany said that it's effect easily lasts till 30k kms in Indian conditions. So draining the oil won't change much as Ceratec forms a ceramic coating on the cylinder walls.
Regards, Shashi
Thanks for the information. Let me see if I can find another taker and closely monitor his vehicle. This news is a dampener for my future plans.

By the way, from where do you source these and the price if you dont mind sharing here. I see a lot of varying quotes from different persons in the market, 2100-3000 in that range which surprises me.
Old 17th July 2017, 21:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, from where do you source these and the price if you dont mind sharing here. I see a lot of varying quotes from different persons in the market, 2100-3000 in that range which surprises me.
I bought my bottle of Ceratec from Landroverlab.com last year for Rs.2,500. However, recently I saw Amazon's Cloudtail selling it for Rs. 1899. Needless to say it went out of stock soon.

Let me also warn you that many fake products are also floating around on the internet. So take an informed decision. One of my friends from GJ got himself a can of Liqui Moly's 5w40 oil, which turned out to be spurious. So trust only known sellers.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 15:20   #24
BHPian

Re: How to prolong the life of an oil burning engine

I was hoping there may be any other methods to prolong the life of an engine that burns oil but from what is being discussed here, it looks like engine oil additives are the safest possible and inexpensive way.
We have an old NA engine diesel Indica which my company has taken on rent for daily chores, the driver claims the engine uses about 1ltr of engine oil for every 500kms. And everyday this car does about 180-200kms. Its a situation where the oilfilter is changed every 3 months, I mean just the oil filter not the oil, by the time the car does 5000kms its already gone through 10ltrs of engine oil. This car is now the lab rat to test engine oils and additives. We recently started using additives to help reduce the oil consumption because the guy was so fed up he started using oil available from barrels at local spare stores which sell at Rs.90 a litre. I knew nothing was going to help in this situation other than thicker oil or high viscous oil and we started looking for such oils. But spare dealers didn't have any idea about such stuff or maybe its just not sold in India, some even told us to pour gear oil which I know is the worst thing to do to a running engine. You all must be wondering why not just overhaul the engine, this guy doesn't have any other car and if he misses one day at work the company will change the contract to another guy and he'll loose this company. Well he said he doesn't want to go elsewhere and wanted to work with us because he knew everyone here and the places he need to go every day and its a good routine. So back to the thicker oil, the best we found was 20w-50 oil which was tried a tested and still burns but its marginally better in terms of burn rate/ 500kms. The improvement was a little more than 500ml for every 500kms say about 600ml. That's when we tried an engine oil treatment or additive, well what can I say, it improved and it got so good it was about 200ml for every 500kms. Now Mr. Driver stopped checking and topping up the oil everyday and did so on a weekly basis. What I noticed when I checked what was going on was that the engine oil additive basically made the oil thicker aiding to the savings in oil consumption. Nonetheless this too gave some problems, early morning starts were a little slow and it caused the engine to turn slowly in the morning chills. But once warm its back in form and ready to take on the day all mighty and strong.
I wonder about any sludge build-up in the engine after prolonged usage. I have asked him to keep an eye on the oil pressure warning light but he's smiling away and smoking the roads as he accelerates to his next destination.

Last edited by msaudf : 23rd July 2017 at 15:26.
msaudf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 23:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest change was in a friend's Fortuner and Innova(old gen), where the clatter substantially died down.

Regards,
Shashi
Hi,
requesting to give more details of the Fortuner (model, ODO, etc) and any recent data on this vehicle.

Most Viewed