Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2010, 00:12   #1
BHPian

shifting gear getting hard:Esteem 40k Done

Guys,

Please excuse me if I am missing a thread already with this problem. Let me know otherwise.

I have a serious issue with my Esteem vxi which is done 40k till now.
Problem is, when shifting from first to second gear, I have to put more pressure or sometimes reduce the rpm to shift the gear from first to second. This problem is noticed more often if the AC in the car is used. The mechanic says that the cluch cable needs to be replaced.

1. I am not convinced with this because technically how will the AC effect the cluch cable when the AC is on?
2. Is there any other reason for this?
3. Is there anyone who have faced this kind of problem and what would you suggest?

I would really appreciate your suggestions and ideas.

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Note: Please do not suggest me to sell my car and buy a new one because I love my esteem. I have no other problem other than this for the past 6 years.
Old 13th November 2010, 08:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Willy, I had a similar issue with my Scorpio, while changing from 1st to 2nd gear. I got the gearbox oil replaced, and the shifts are much smoother now. In my case I feel that the gearbox oil level might have been low, as I used to observe oil sweating out of the gearbox area. So I took it to the service station to get the oil leaks to stop, and replace / top up the gear oil. Faulty clutch setting had already been ruled out in my previous visits to the service station, so I guess changing the gear oil is the only thing that could have helped in my case.
Old 13th November 2010, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Things you can do:
1. Get Gear oil change
2. Gear linkage rod checked for bents and get them greased
3. Clutch checked.
4. Pray that all becomes well.

Not to scare you I had similar issue with my M1000 (not with AC on though) and after few months gear box failed. I went for second hand gearbox as mechanic said repairing these are very costly.

Last edited by Hashim : 13th November 2010 at 11:57.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi Willy, I had a similar issue with my Scorpio, while changing from 1st to 2nd gear. I got the gearbox oil replaced, and the shifts are much smoother now. In my case I feel that the gearbox oil level might have been low, as I used to observe oil sweating out of the gearbox area. So I took it to the service station to get the oil leaks to stop, and replace / top up the gear oil. Faulty clutch setting had already been ruled out in my previous visits to the service station, so I guess changing the gear oil is the only thing that could have helped in my case.
Thanks Mooza.

I gave the car for service just few days ago. I am assuming that they changed the oil. As you mentioned, I will get the oil checked and see for the level. Thanks anyway.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Things you can do:
1. Get Gear oil change
2. Gear linkage rod checked for bents and get them greased
3. Clutch checked.
4. Pray that all becomes well.

Not to scare you I had similar issue with my M1000 (not with AC on though) and after few months gear box failed. I went for second hand gearbox as mechanic said repairing these are very costly.
That is really scary what you mentioned. I will take it to the service station as even Mooza also suggested to check the oil. Please keep me posted in case you get anyother information regarding this. Thanks a lot.
Old 15th November 2010, 13:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

First things first, have you checked the clutch setting?
Old 15th November 2010, 15:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

check for the clutch, do you ride on clutch (occasionally ?)

Check for leakage of the gearbox oil, Or was the issue noted even before car went for service station ! Mechanics are known for carelessness in closing caps resulting in problems later on.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:15   #8
BHPian

I had something similar in my Esteem having clocked 38000. Came to know that the gear oil was leaking due to a faulty oil seal.

Replaced oil seal and changed gear oil.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First things first, have you checked the clutch setting?
Yes, i just came from the mechanic. He says the cluch is very tight and the cluch cable has to be replaced. He also says that this is something very common when the speedo reads 40k plus. Thanks for you reply Jaggu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
check for the clutch, do you ride on clutch (occasionally ?)

Thanks tanwaramit.

To answer your question, No.

Check for leakage of the gearbox oil, Or was the issue noted even before car went for service station ! Mechanics are known for carelessness in closing caps resulting in problems later on.
I have noticed this after I went a long drive from Bangalore to Salem without any stop.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th November 2010 at 17:51. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 15th November 2010, 18:54   #10
BHPian

Wildon, I have observed similar symptom on my baleno too. On highway continuous drive of more than 100kms with AC on results in hard gear shifts.
My mechanic change the gearbox oil but it hasn't solve the problem.

Check my thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-issue-2.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks