Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 05:00   #1
BHPian

Accent (P) engine overhaul.

Hi,

Guys I have a Hyundai Accent GLS Dec 2000 model. The car has done almost 1,60,000 kms. It is in need for an engine over haul for the past six months are so.
Till now I was postponing the engine build by topping up engine oil on an almost monthly basis. I would like to keep the car for as long as possible for emotional reasons.

I would like to know the following,
  • What all should be done?
  • What would be the overall cost?
  • Recomended places in Delhi (Preferably South Delhi)
  • Hyundai has given an estimate of about Rs 45-50k, so an independent garage seems to be a better option.

Any other suggestion or comment ??
Old 18th November 2010, 07:48   #2
BHPian

Since You've Got an oil burning engine,its most likely your rings that are worn out,if your doing a complete tear down then that would be the best way to go,also before you tear down the engine just do a compression check and keep the number's as reference,then you take apart the head,replace valve,cam seal's while your at it,try and get a 3 angle valve job to give you better flow,valve seat & seal,as far as the bottom half is concerned most garage's would check bore if its gone oval,they would just hone and replace rings,what i do recommend is that you go for the next best oversize piston/ring combo,also get your crankshaft measured to see if your bearing clearances are in the tolerance limit,if they are then just replace with standard size new bearings or the next best undersize of bearings required,also get a new oil pump since your pump has seen 1,60,000kms and while your at it dont forget to replace the oil pick up tube which draws oil from the sump to the pump,replace water pump aswel just to be on the good side if things,make sure you replace all oil seals in the bottom half of the engine aswel,while the head and block are out,also get the head face and the block deck checked for straightness,most likely a resurface job would be required may be 1 or 2 thou of machining just to get true surface and aid in head gasket sealing,i know as a common man no one goes through all these details of engine building,but there are a lot more details that you can actually go into,this may be time consuming but it would be the correct way for you to get the best bang for you buck,please only use genuine spares,people dont realise that cheaper spares take away the whole point of rebuilding the engine,as far delhi is concerned im sure there may be a lot of reputed names who will take care of all these parameter's and much more during engine building,just ask around and some help will be there for sure,hope this helps,cheers,happy revving!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks