Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2010, 20:39   #1
BHPian

Petes box in a safari, makes sense?

Hey guys ,

My friend has a tata safari 3.0l dicor 4x4 , he wants to install a petes tuning box in it.But he wants to see if there are any other alternatives and will there be any reliability issues ?

thanks guys

ps:my search in tbhp showed they don't make it for tata vehicles,but i inquired in Racing Heights, hyderabad and they said that they will have it in a month.

Last edited by karthik123 : 19th November 2010 at 20:54.
Old 19th November 2010, 21:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally, I would not go for it, in an application such as an SUV - which is designed for relaxed cruising, with a healthy stock power.
Old 19th November 2010, 21:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik123 View Post
Hey guys ,

My friend has a tata safari 3.0l dicor 4x4 , he wants to install a petes tuning box in it.But he wants to see if there are any other alternatives and will there be any reliability issues ?

thanks guys

ps:my search in tbhp showed they don't make it for tata vehicles,but i inquired in Racing Heights, hyderabad and they said that they will have it in a month.
If Pete's doesn't make it then I'm not sure how Racing Heights will get it. Please remember the 3.0L engine has been out of production for quite a while now and and Pete's not making them now Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited> Main Section > Pete's Tuning Box > Mahindra So there can be a chance theRacing Heights might be peddling you something else.

Secondly the engine is very relaxed one and am not toosure you can increase the stats too much.

So just stick with what you have.
Old 19th November 2010, 22:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If Pete's doesn't make it then I'm not sure how Racing Heights will get it. Please remember the 3.0L engine has been out of production for quite a while now and and Pete's not making them now
Pete doesn't makes them anyway, they just import and market it. Its made by PSI makes them.

i don't think why people are crazy about it. If you check the graph, its just a feel good factor. 30k for that minuscule performance increase is a waste of money.

definitely not recommended for a safari.
Old 19th November 2010, 22:19   #5
BHPian

Moreover i feel it is also a question as to how much power the SUV can take safely . I drove from Manali to Delhi (Approx 500km) in a 2.2 vtt with a RD ECU , frankly it was plain scary , the power is certainly there but the chassis is unable to cope up at all , it rolls so much that after a point you cant just go faster.
Old 20th November 2010, 07:42   #6
BHPian

safari is very wobbly more power can be very dangerous in it, but the 3.0l dicor vibrates too much to a point that it gives you a head ache and your ears pop-out, i think it gets kinda refined with a tuning box and reduce vibrations
Old 20th November 2010, 08:46   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

More Power in either a Safari OR a Scorpio is ASKING FOR IT.
Neither vehicle's chassis and braking systems can take the extra power/speed stress.

And additionally, without ABS, Airbags etc, it is a recipe for extreme danger if not disaster.

The manufacturers themselves have actually de-tuned the 2.2 Dicor and Mhawk engines to reduce the power output and they have done it not only for reasons of economy but also for reasons of safety. Bear these things in mind before making those investments and effort in modifications via Pete's Box or otherwise.
Old 20th November 2010, 09:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Pete doesn't makes them anyway, they just import and market it. Its made by PSI makes them.

i don't think why people are crazy about it. If you check the graph, its just a feel good factor. 30k for that minuscule performance increase is a waste of money.

definitely not recommended for a safari.
I'd say the same. Its not worth the money you shell out. And yes most people go for the brand image and feel good factor.
Old 20th November 2010, 20:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Dude, pete's for 3.0 ltr is available and I know a certain white 4x4 scorp here in Bangalore that makes a mockery of sedans with that thing plugged in!

And shankar, the scorp was detuned because of the gearbox.

Last edited by Red Liner : 20th November 2010 at 20:06.
Old 20th November 2010, 20:50   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Dude, pete's for 3.0 ltr is available and I know a certain white 4x4 scorp here in Bangalore that makes a mockery of sedans with that thing plugged in!

There is no Petes box for the 3.0 Safari my friend. Also I dont know of any 3.0 Scorpio, there was a 2.6 and now a 2.2 of which petes is available for both.
Old 21st November 2010, 08:01   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

yes the scorp was de-tuned because the gearbox couldnt handle that power. also the braking.
personally I would emphatically NOT trust the Scorp to stop in time, in an emergency braking scenario, with all that extra power given its existing brakes! same goes for the safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Most Viewed