Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:22   #16
BHPian

Guys,
I think I spoke too soon. Last night I was starting back from work and when I try to crank the engine, there is a distinct click from the engine and the car goes dead. No dash lights on. I leave it for a few seconds and all the dash lights come back on. I try cranking it again and same again. Called the 24x7 roadside assistance and they can come only this morning, some 24x7 service.
I hope and suspect my battery is dead so that I can replace the battery and get it over with. But the worry is that all the dash lights come on bright and doesn't show any signs of a dead battery. Did not try the horn or headlights for the fear of not being able to start the car completely. And also, the clock on the ICE got reset to 1.00, not sure if that is significant but...

Can somebody advice as to what else could be the problem? I will be taking a battery guy before the Honda service guys come.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

I faced this exact problem last year for 2-3 days and was worried like anything because my battery was almost new (Amaron).

Took the car to the battery shop and the culprit was a loose (-) terminal on the battery.

In your case, it should not be the reason because the service center must have checked for it (still no harm in checking it again yourself).

I would suggest you to borrow a battery from your neighborhood batterywala for a couple of days and assure him that if it is indeed the problem of battery, you will buy the battery from him, even if it is 100-200 bucks costly. You can offer him 100-200 rent for his battery too.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

When my original Exide died, it was the same way. All the lights will work, but the moment I tried to crank the engine, everything dies, then comes back to life. This is mainly because cranking the engine requires quite a bit of amperes from the battery. A dead battery can't supply this current, so the voltage drops and all the electrics die. When the current load is taken away, the voltage comes back up.

I changed to an Amaron and I'm satisfied.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

Should be the battery, switch On the cabin light and see if it completely dims when the engine is cranked. If so the battery is kaput.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:57   #20
BHPian

Not sure what the problem was. I had the local Exide battery guy remove the battery and checked and he said the there is no problem with the battery and it was showing a reading of around 13+. Now I try the same battery on a friends car and it's the same problem as mine. Could not crank. The battery guy gave up and said he will fix the battery back and get a new one. After fixing the battery back, I try to start the car and without a hitch the car starts. Went for a drive, no problems at all.
It's been 3 days and had some extensive driving over the weekend and with none of the earlier problems showing up.
I am now completely clueless as to what could have gone wrong and if it could come back again. Anyway, have my fingers crossed.
Old 6th December 2010, 13:01   #21
Team-BHP Support

Battery might have had some internal issue because of which its not able to give the current, broken terminal connection etc. Voltage alone does not mean the battery is in good shape, maybe the exide guy should do a load test and see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks