Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2010, 12:51   #1
BHPian

AMC for the Jetta by the VW dealer - how good is it?

>>>

The VW dealer in Mumbai (Downtown VW) is offering an AMC package where there is a free check up at 15k intervals and a 'proper' service at 15k intervals. The 15k service interval is the norm for the Jetta. Please see the attached excel for the kms run/duration and the associated services; the case illustrated is for a new Jetta.

So, how does it work?

Imagine you buy a new Jetta or have a Jetta which has done less than 7.5 kms on the odo. You sign up for this package. Then you take your car for free health checks at the odo reading of 7.5k and at 22.5k.

A regular, 'proper' service will happen at 15k and then again at 30k.
All costs (parts and labour)are covered.

For a Jetta which has already done say 20k on the odo ( mine is at approx. 19.5k) : there will be health checks at 22.5k and at 37.5k and regular service at 30k and at 45k.

There is an early bird offer too. Details are awaited.

A. So how does this look like?

Am awaiting the cost (the dealer is reworking these at my request) from the dealer.
B. Any guesses on how much should it cost?

Regards, drive safe
Attached Files
File Type: xls Scope_of_AMC_VW_Jetta_Diesel.xls (24.0 KB, 451 views)
Old 24th November 2010, 16:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The VW dealer in Mumbai (Downtown VW) is offering an AMC package where there is a free check up at 15k intervals and a 'proper' service at 15k intervals.
You mean checkup at 7.5K and service at 15K?

The AMC seems to cover new Jettas for 2 years / 30,000 kms. Depending on the cost (which is still to be provided), it may make sense for a brand new Jetta customer.

But since your car has already covered 20K, there are certain concerns:

- The 30K service is simple. They'll do as per the VW service guidelines, as they have already listed the 30K service in their AMC. However, the 45K service may entail additional work. What I'm saying is, there may be a lot of difference in the work performed for the 15K / 30K services (which the AMC lists) than the 30K / 45K services (which the AMC isn't designed for). Main Q : Is VW Downtown willing to do all the work listed out in the Jetta handbook for the 45K service?

Also, does this AMC cover part failures? Do update us on the cost once you hear from them.
Old 24th November 2010, 20:06   #3
BHPian

AMC details

>>>

GTO,

The service manual of the Jetta speaks of four types of service, viz.:

[ These are service types based on time/ distance travelled; there is a Long Life service in which VW "ensures that your vehicle only has an interval service when it is necessary". I do not think the Long Life service methodology applies to Indian conditions. I may be wrong though.]

1. Oil change service - with a service interval of 15 k kms or one year, whichever is earlier (with the rider that if the diesel fuel used has high sulphur content then the engine oil and the filter should be changed every 7500 kms)

2. Interval service - every two years or 30k kms, whichever is earlier.
This includes not only the engine oil change-filter change but also battery check,tyre wear check,brake pad check and brake fluid level check

3. Inspection service - First after three years or 60k kms, then every two years. This covers everything such as exhaust system check, ATF check in the DSG and refill, all lights/electricals, Poly V belt tension check,coolant check, engine check - gearbox, final drive, CV joints, performance check - steering, gear change, kickdown, ac, wiper/wash check, track rod check, underseal check, door check. Everything that is excluding what is covered in Interval service (except tyre wear which is done here as well)

4. Brake fluid change - First after three years or 60k kms, then every two years

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you compare the checklist as provided in the excel (and the activities for 15k,30 k and for 45k are the same in the excel provided) with the service descriptions 1-4 as above, you will notice that :

> Service at 15k, 30k & 45 k approximates to a mix of 1,2 & 3
> Check up at 7.5k, 22.5k and at 37.5 k approximates to a health check simply to be vigilant
> Important checks - top up of all fluids,checking engine performance (EMS I guess) and checking of all electricals are happening at both the check ups and at the services. Which is a good thing that is not mentioned in the service manual.

The service manual in fact lays a lot of stress on the "service advisor" for advise, which may not be entirely good in the hands of a less than able service advisor, given our casual attitude/work ethic.

Coming to the price the package costs Rs 21339/- for the two year period. So for me, for years 2 & 3, the cost will be the same amount. This includes :
i. a 3% discount on parts and 10% discount on labour over and above any repair work requested by the owner, not pertaining to accident cases*
ii. two free pick ups and drops

* This is, I think for instances where an owner wants to get something extra done, above and beyond what is covered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first service (at 11180 kms) cost me Rs 7715/- including consumables such as engine oil, filter, air & pollen filters.

Extrapolating for two years I imagine the cost would be approximately Rs 15k plus. Therefore on comparison, the AMC seems expensive from a financial basis.

Plus I have an extended warranty on the vehicle for years 3 & 4.

Comments please.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 24th November 2010 at 20:11. Reason: Made corrections
Old 25th November 2010, 23:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

i would not go for an AMC for a car that already has a warranty.

Its a kind of rip off.
Old 26th November 2010, 09:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

The dealer is offering it, not the manufacturer. In other words the dealer is collecting cash upfront

1: You are tied to the dealer even if you are not happy

2: If he goes bust?

3: Does this have VW's blessing

4: What extra benefit are you getting ?
Old 26th November 2010, 18:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i would not go for an AMC for a car that already has a warranty.

Its a kind of rip off.
>>>
SirAlec,

I have (as do all car owners) a warranty for two years; added to that is an extended warranty for a further two year period. This is stated in the VW schedule strictly on the basis of time and not on the distance covered.
This AMC does not cover part failure as it is covered by the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The dealer is offering it, not the manufacturer. In other words the dealer is collecting cash upfront

1: You are tied to the dealer even if you are not happy

2: If he goes bust?

3: Does this have VW's blessing

4: What extra benefit are you getting ?
>>>
ajmat,

Cash upfront is similar to what other manufacturers offer : an AMC by taking in cash from the customer. Am trying to find out if it is a dealer only AMC or a VW backed one. The latter is obviously the one to go in for.
#1,2 : right concerns raised by you
# 3: am checking this one
# 4: peace of mind (even if limited) that the dealer will service my car properly especially in the matter of correct use of consumables

Let me add that my experience at the dealer till date has been entirely satisfactory.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 26th November 2010 at 18:19. Reason: Made additions
Old 28th November 2010, 18:27   #7
BHPian

Update : Not signing the AMC

>>>

Since the AMC package is dealer specific and not backed by VW, I have decided not to opt for this AMC package. As mentioned above, I already have the car under the (normal) warranty plus I have the extended warranty for years three and four, from VW.

Regards, drive safe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks