Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2010, 19:12   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon won't engage in reverse gear....

I have a Ford Ikon Flair 2005 model. I drove the car for some local errands this morning and it was all fine. In the afternoon, when I went to reverse the car out of the parking lot, I found that I could not put it in the reverse gear. Try all that I might, it would not engage in the reverse gear at all.

I stopped the car, put it in neutral and pushed it back a bit and started it and I could move it in the first to second gear. So other gears seem to be fine.

Any one have any idea what could this be? I will call up the local Ford dealer tomorrow, but it always helps to know a bit about the problem when talking to them.

I am in Pune, so if any one knows any crack Ford mechanic, that would help too...

thanks,
Old 28th November 2010, 22:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Remove the floor mat on the driver's side (or any other possible obstacle), and try engaging the reverse gear. This could be a probable cause. Otherwise the clutch may need some resetting, I guess. Also, the gear box oil level may be low, leading to insufficient lubrication.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:47   #3
BHPian

Ikon(1.6) usually have some problem slotting in the reverse (at least mine did). The possible reasons for not slotting in reverse :

1. The gear shift linkages (rods) are broken. To check this, you need to get below the car. You would find two black plastic rods going to the gearbox. If you are not able to slot into reverse, the shorter one should have broken. Estimated cost - 1000 for the rod (Ford dealer) + labour. if it is minor and you are willing to take the risk, any FNG would be able to join the pieces using Fevikwick/Elfy/any cyanoacrylate based adhesive. Caution : let it stay for 3-4 hours before moving the car. This would happen if youhave hit a stone or scraped the underside. Replacing the rods would take about 30 minutes. This is the most likely cause.

2. The gear shift gate is gone. You might be looking at a big expense here as I understand the gearbox has to be opened for this. Chance are extremely rare.
Old 29th November 2010, 17:20   #4
BHPian

Sometimes, engaging first gear and releasing the clutch enough for the vehicle to move by a few inches (if space permits) and then trying to engage the reverse gear works.

Did you try this?
Old 30th November 2010, 00:02   #5
BHPian

There is a small spring in the gear gate mechanism which has gone kaput. This means they will have to take the gearbox down and replace the entire mechanism (costs approx. 3700 rs). You may also need to top the gear box oil after fitting the gb back. But this is the worst case scenario, sometimes it can be as simple as a bent/ misaligned rod which can be fixed easily.

Check out this thread as well-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ir-2006-a.html
Old 30th November 2010, 00:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

For the exact same symptom on my car, here is what was done and replaced under the Extended Warranty. Should give you an idea of the costs involved.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1227136-post247.html
Old 30th November 2010, 21:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
For the exact same symptom on my car, here is what was done and replaced under the Extended Warranty. Should give you an idea of the costs involved.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1227136-post247.html
thanks to all those gave their suggestions...

benbsb29: yes, the symptom is exactly like yours, down to me seeking help this morning after a game of tennis from my buddies to push it a bit from the parking lot

astleviz: i hope it is a bent/misaligned rod...

vasanthn21: i tried that and it did not work :(

dashoin: I hope it is the shorter plastic rod which is broken...

i have scheduled an appt with the local ford dealer here...i will take a print out of this thread and try to match it with their diagnosis..always helpful! i will keep this thread updated with their findings and the eventual bill...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks