Team-BHP - PUC? Why every six months?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   PUC? Why every six months? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/92962-puc-why-every-six-months-2.html)

The apt question will be PUC? Why at all? In Pune, the PUC scam is busted so many times, still nothing has been done with it. I believe it is just a ploy of traffic dept to loot motorist, as I daily see atleast one PMPML bust polluting away to glory.

This whole pollution under control thing is a scam. It beats me why one needs to do it for a brand new car after a year. Its amazing that the Auto guys in Bangalore manage to clear their PUC checks, still belch so much smoke & not get caught. Its sometimes impossible to wait at a traffic light with an auto idling in front of you. A big problem if you are on a bike which I frequently am.

If the police can bust people for traffic violations, they can do the same for smoky vehicles.

It will be interesting to know where all the money paid for PUC checks go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 2169860)
This whole pollution under control thing is a scam. It beats me why one needs to do it for a brand new car after a year. Its amazing that the Auto guys in Bangalore manage to clear their PUC checks, still belch so much smoke & not get caught. Its sometimes impossible to wait at a traffic light with an auto idling in front of you. A big problem if you are on a bike which I frequently am.

If the police can bust people for traffic violations, they can do the same for smoky vehicles.

It will be interesting to know where all the money paid for PUC checks go.

I completely agree, been in Bangalore for more than six years! PUC is a complete sham and a scam. Auto's in Bangalore, or for that matter lot of BPO cabs in Delhi (which are of course not on CNG) cough black smoke, but never catch Polices' eye! Its always the least polluting vehicles that get caught.

Digressing a bit, I was even stopped by cops saying that I need to produce a fitness certificate of my 2 year old car... that was icing on the cake. This was while crossing Maharashtra few months ago. Obviously I didn't have any such certificate, let alone I ever heard of such a thing. The buggers settled for 500 rupees and left 10 rupees to me as tip seeing that I emptied my wallet clap:. Thanks Mr PoliceMan!

By the way, there is website where you can write down your bribe paid and harassment stories I Paid Bribe

To the best of my knowledge, the PUC certificate has the following benifits:
1. the cop who stops you can ascertain whether the vehicle was in use in the city for more than 6 months. (To the best of my knowledge, the law requires transfer of registration of vehicles if the domicile of the owner of the vehicle is changed for more than 6 months.)
2.Simply to put it, the govt can strip you upto Rs. 500/- for not having the certificate.
3. The chamchas of the local politicians or the babus can have some easy money.
4. This rule is applicable for only the ones who abide the laws.

As per the Form 22 which comes along with new vehicle the conformity to the Pollution Norms (Whatever BSII, BSIII, BSIV etc) is applicable for 1 year . This is generally signed by the HOD of the Quality /Responsible dept of particular manufacturer.

If govt. is so keen on curbing the emissions why they never stop & check the State Owned transport Buses & Auto rickshaws for the same ?

The every 6 month recheck frankly speaking is of not much help as the PUC certificate issuing Guy will always ask - With 100 Without 60.:D So you can have the PUC certificate without actual check also ( So as to avoid fine if get caught).
Why not to make it compulsory as a part of Annual Insurance Renewal scheme.

So far we are having discussion specific to India, Is anybody having info on whats the situation in US, EU & other countries please:

By the way, how stringent are these tests? I have never applied for a PUC because I dont think I can clear it with the custom freeflow exhaust I have put.

I pay Rs 100 for getting a PUC certificate every six months. And I also have the privilege of breathing the smoke out of buses, trucks and amby taxis :(

But till date no one has asked me for the expensive PUC that I could show off!

Folks, I purchased a new Indica Vista in September 2010. Is it due for PUC now? Please help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by @Chaand (Post 2284319)
Folks, I purchased a new Indica Vista in September 2010. Is it due for PUC now? Please help.

For a new car, PUC is not to be done for 1 year. So until Sept '11, you wouldn't have to do it. (At least Maharashtra RTO says so). Beyond that, it is done every 6 months.

The rule about new cars PUC is state specific. AP allows no PUC upto 1 year. I am not sure about other states. Hence it is a good idea to keep your PUC updated if you drive to multiple states.

Someone on the thread mentioned about the quality of fuel. Fuel quality does have a role to play. But there is no guarantee that good fuel equals no pollution. Pollution depends on many factors like service intervals, engine oil quality, engine tuning, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2284379)
For a new car, PUC is not to be done for 1 year. So until Sept '11, you wouldn't have to do it. (At least Maharashtra RTO says so). Beyond that, it is done every 6 months.

Has Maharashtra RTO given any document which says that the PUC for new cars is valid for one year or is there any RTO rule which clearly says this? I dont think so. According to the dealer the invoice copy is a sufficient proof for not doing the PUC, but it is always better to get the PUC done once in 6 months. I have seen even the new cars getting fine for not having a PUC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by @Chaand (Post 2284319)

Your PUC is valid for one year, but do get a PUC sticker anyway. It is always better to spend a few bucks and have peace of mind, rather than haggling with a cop who has the IQ of a watermelon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2285148)
I have seen even the new cars getting fine for not having a PUC.

I was stopped on quite a few occasions while riding a bike by cops and asked for PUC. This was when my bike was less than 6 months old. I did not have a PUC. They used to ask for the papers and once satisfied that it was really less than 6 months less, they let me go

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdriver2000 (Post 2285279)
Your PUC is valid for one year, but do get a PUC sticker anyway.

From where? I believe that PUC sticker is only provided when you pay and get it from mobile vans/fuel stations.

Why do the PUC testers insist on racing the engine before doing a PUC (pollution under control) test?
This creates a lot of smoke especially for diesel engines. Is it not harmful
for the catalytic converters?

They might be clearing of the carbon deposits, but for diesel engines one needs to take the reading over varying RPM/load. If you look at the certificate it will show multiple runs recorded at higher rpm levels and then only its passed.