Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 16:40   #1
BHPian

Punto music system (not stock) not switching off after switching off engine!!

I have recently bought a Fiat Punto (DI Emotion) and fitted a basic music system over the weekend. The sound is much better than the stock setup. But, the problem is that it keeps running off the battery even after I remove the key. I took it to the guy who installed and he told me that there is no power coming in the cable connected to the ignition and hence he has given it direct. He said that there is no problem in continuing this way and I can get it corrected from Fiat during first service. So, I have to switch off the system every time I turn off the engine.
Guys, please help me in figuring out the problem.
Is a visit to Fiat A.S.S. inevitable for fixing this issue?
Also, is the installer right in saying that there is no harm in running it this way?
Old 1st December 2010, 16:52   #2
BHPian

its not possible that there is no power cable coming from the ignition key barrel.
And for the note if its the emotion model then when you changed your head-unit you should have told the installer specifically to use OE couplers so that there is no cutting or splicing of wires.
Please take your vehicle to a better installer and get your wiring checked again.The current installers wiring is a mess.
Old 1st December 2010, 16:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

The installer has given you the 'Blues' literally. He should have made you aware of the problem the moment he discovered the same that is if the problem was not his creation, which I suspect is very much the case unless your stock system was also behaving in a similar fashion. He is just trying to brush you off by saying it is OK to carry on etc.

Go back to him and stand on his head till he comes clean and sorts this out for you. In case he has committed some major harakiri with the wires you do stand to lose your warranty on the car's electric system, so do proceed accordingly.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:47   #4
BHPian

Did the installer connect your system to draw power from the battery directly (power cable running from battery into HU)? If so, you're in relative luck as the original wiring might not have been tampered. Get the installation corrected by using couplers along with the original wiring.

But if he's messed with the original wiring, get it fixed ASAP! Warranty issues aside, there are safety issues at hand.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:16   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
I have recently bought a Fiat Punto (DI Emotion) and fitted a basic music system over the weekend. The sound is much better than the stock setup. But, the problem is that it keeps running off the battery even after I remove the key. I took it to the guy who installed and he told me that there is no power coming in the cable connected to the ignition and hence he has given it direct. He said that there is no problem in continuing this way and I can get it corrected from Fiat during first service. So, I have to switch off the system every time I turn off the engine.
Guys, please help me in figuring out the problem.
Is a visit to Fiat A.S.S. inevitable for fixing this issue?
Also, is the installer right in saying that there is no harm in running it this way?
The way he has installed it, he has connected your music system directly to the battery. So, it completely bypasses the ignition. [most cabs have such a setup]

Hopefully, he should have connected the wiring right at the battery terminals itself so the car wiring is not majorly tampered.

I think you should first get the mess sorted out from him before you show it to A.S.S.; because otherwise you stand the risk of the warranty being void.

The car electronics are put at risk by such an arrangement since there could be a short-circuit at the battery terminal very easily.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Most cars with inbuilt music system don't give a wiring lead for the music system. So the option would be to take out the existing HU and use the same connections to put the new alternate system. The problem in this is due to the absence of actual wiring diagram, most the things will not properly work and the outside installer doesn't want to cut any wires in the harness and therey void your total electrical/electronic warranty. You should be thankful that he has done that and not tried to experiment with your car.

So now your option is keep switching off the ICE separately and get it cheked with the FIAT ASC who will fix it with the actual wiring.

Cheers
Old 1st December 2010, 21:23   #7
BHPian

I have a question for you. Was the original HU working as expected or was it having the same issue? If the issue was not there with the original HU, then I doubt he might have messed up the wiring or he is completely ignorant about Punto wiring diagrams. In any case, I would suggest you get the car to a expert installer in your area and make sure, the guy has not messed up your original wiring. Otherwise, I am quiet sure that the A.S.S guys will make trouble on electrical warranty of your car.
Old 1st December 2010, 21:56   #8
BHPian

I had the same issue with the Blaupunkt system that I had . What the installed said is absolutely wrong . Ask him to fix it . If you take it to the FIAT *** they might start off with the warranty void crap so dont let it get to their ears
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sounds really strange and completely points out to fault at the installer. Where did you get this done from. Incase it is a small shop, who do not have the experience or have not worked on stock systems before, they may have goofed off.

That guy is mad or thinks you are mad to say that no power line is coming from the ignition. Please take it to another better installer and get it checked, as i feel this guy may futher mess it up.

Yo risk the chance of voiding your warranty, if the A.S.S guys find that the wiring has been wrongly spliced. Giving a direct connection is not safe as well.
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

It appears that the installer is not familiar with the installation. Even a moderately knowledgable guy uses couplers and connects through the key these days even in tier3 towns.

Better take it to some good accessoroy shop/garage, who would definitely help out. My honest opininon is dont take it to the guy who made the mess in the first place. He may again tamper with the wiring further.

Paying a couple of bucks more in the first place is a lot more better than way side blokes.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd December 2010 at 00:25.
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you want to ICE the punto there is no ACC option in the ignition key switch like the early Opel cars.

Hence the system is connected to the original harness provided by the Fiat company,as you insert the after market harness it will just give you a direct power output and memory output for storing your settings.The Headunit will remain direct even if the keys are removed same goes with the OE Blaupunkt provided standard in the Punto.

The options you can do is connect the power output wire from the headunit to the full ignition switch,but will lapse your warranties.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about,your system wont face any problems if its not there in the cars electrical layout you cannot get it to work,also i would suggest that refrain from opening up the headunit again and again as will loosen the facia provided by the company.

Ramie

Last edited by ramie2400 : 2nd December 2010 at 01:09.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:38   #12
BHPian

Thanks for all your replies.

I got it done from "Car Radio Warehouse" in Chennai and they have been there for a long time in this business. I had asked the guy whether he has ever done this for a Punto and his answer was yes. He claimed that he had even done it for a linea. He used a wiring harness for connecting the head-unit and AFAIK there was no cutting of the original wires.

Anyhow, the car is with me in Bangalore now and I am planning to take it to Satya (EVO) and check it once again for my own satisfaction.
I will update you once I get it checked.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:29   #13
BHPian

Re: Punto music system (not stock) not switching off after switching off engine!!

I took the car to EVO, Bangalore and they confirmed that there was no power coming from the ignition wire. They advised me to check with FIAT regarding this.

I asked the service center guys to check the issue during the first service. The electrician there asked me to bring the OE HU so that he can check and compare the behaviour. He connected the OE HU and it switched off when the ignition was turned off. He showed this to me and told me that maybe the OE HU has something built in which switched it off when the key is turned off. He said that there was no power coming from the ignition wire and this got him doubtful. He said he checked the same with another Punto and it was the same. That's why he asked me to bring the OE HU to check this.

I have a few questions regarding this :
  • How is the OE HU able to switch itself off if there is no power coming from the ignition wire?
  • If there is something used in the OE HU to do this, is it possible to do the same thing in my car?
  • Has any other Punto owner changed their OE HU to aftermarket? Are you facing the same issue?
Please let me know your comments, guys.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Punto music system (not stock) not switching off after switching off engine!!

It is not an issue - manually switch off from the HU / remote. it is common with after market HUs and FIATs (Unos, Palio, Petra, etc)

Welcome to the world of FIATs
Old 6th January 2011, 17:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
It is not an issue - manually switch off from the HU / remote. it is common with after market HUs and FIATs (Unos, Palio, Petra, etc)

Welcome to the world of FIATs
+1 to that

Welcome to the world of FIATs and its quirks . But by the end of your ownership,you'll be much more knowledgeable about most things auto

Most Viewed