Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2010, 16:29   #1
BHPian

What are the odds of all light bulbs fusing out?

Hi,

I have a 30 month old SX4 ZXI. Stock except stanley leather seats, 3M sun film and 130/100 watt Phillips essential head lamps & Mobil1 engine oil.

Now what are the odds that all the lamps in the car fuse within days of each other

1. Head Lamp life 13 months - age of car 28 months - low beam fused 2 days of each other. ( Cost of replacement H4 Lamp - 190 each )

2. Fog lamp / Puddle lamp - age of car 29 months - fused 5 days of each other. ( Cost of replacement H8 Lamp - 534.56 each lamp )

3. Tail Lamp - age of car 30 months - fused 6 days of each other. ( Cost of replacement 62.00 each double filament lamp )

My car has run 75k kms.

My question is

a. is this normal.

b. what else could go wrong.

c. what could be the problem if any.

regards

Vaseem
Old 5th December 2010, 21:56   #2

Hi Vaseem, This reminds me of a similar problem with my Indica...i was on a road trip and lost 2 sets of headlights in day! In my case the problem was the voltage regulator on the alternator. It was sending voltage spikes in popping bulbs.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th December 2010 at 10:31. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 5th December 2010, 23:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Vaseem, looks like there is a problem somewhere. That's one bulb too many.

Also, why dont you move to 90/100 instead of 100/139 ?
Old 5th December 2010, 23:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaseem View Post
a. is this normal.

b. what else could go wrong.

c. what could be the problem if any.
Vaseem, this is absolutely NOT normal, and you have a voltage regulator / rectifier failure in your alternator. Please get an auto electrician or your MASS to check this and repair. Worst case scenario: You could have a battery explosion because of this.
Old 6th December 2010, 09:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Strongly agreed with others; Mine is a 6 yrs old WagonR, plonked with the same 130/100 Philips somewhere around Jun/Jul 2007 until now. Fortunately, I've been carrying the stock 60/55 & its holders in my glove box too.

Looks like there's some electrical issue somewhere. Take it to a competitive M.A.S.S ONLY & ask them to check VERY thoroughly. It takes about a day for them to check every nook & corner on electricals. If they weren't even able to find an issue, then the issue could be due to some loose contacts.

Also, do you've an symptom of song skippage OR intermittent power supply to your HU OR power supply still, but, the display not working etc? That's a clear symptom of some faulty electrical line somewhere.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:19   #6
BHPian

Thanks for all your replies

Will have MASS look into the electricals.

What would be the average life of these lamps? ( Is the OE quality of lamps as bad as the quality of the battery which comes along with the car ) The reason I ask this is because none of the replaced lamps have fused. I am hoping this is an issue with the quality of the lamps and not the electricals.

best regards

Vaseem
Old 6th December 2010, 11:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Vaseem, no warranties on the life of a bulb. Can last ages, or blow up in a day.

What you can do is get your bulbs from a reliable source.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Can last ages, or blow up in a day.
I don't know about warranty as my local dealer says 6 months; but I agree to the above strongly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What you can do is get your bulbs from a reliable source.
Very true; I got mine installed from Radio Shack Chennai. I still don't consider them genuine, but still, one bad word about them could damage their reputation. So atleast for that, they get genuine parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks