Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatics : P or N at signals / traffic lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Another little anorak fact I picked up at this workshop: It’s good practice to use all the manual gears now and then. Sufficient to pull away in 2nd, keep it there for 10 seconds of so, move to 3rd, keep it there for 10 seconds and so on until you have gone through all manual selectable gears.

When you select a gear manual, the brain will open up all (most) of it valves simultaneously. Which means a lot of transmission fluid is going to get pushed around your box. So it’s a good way to “flush’ out any dirt that might have collected on the friction plates and other bits. Do this once a month or so.
In my A-star automatic, the user manual specifically asks to start the engine and keep the car on brakes while holding on (manually) to each gear for 10 seconds each, before checking the level of transmission fluid. I always wondered why, but this explains the logic. Thanks so much!

What I do is to down-shift manually when I go down a slope (rather than using the brakes), so I would be doing this at least once in a month.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 22nd May 2017 at 11:14.
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:49   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
In my A-star automatic, the user manual specifically asks to start the engine and keep the car on brakes while holding on (manually) to each gear for 10 seconds each, before checking the level of transmission fluid. I always wondered why, but this explains the logic. Thanks so much!

h.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesten to know Some manufacturers put this procedure in their manual.

Jeroen
Old 9th August 2017, 11:55   #48
BHPian

Re: Towing of automatic transmission cars?

This is interesting. Concern here is only over heating or is there something more to this. I have an auto i10 and i have an habit of putting the car to neutral while driving whenever i see a signal or traffic jam approaching. So does this load the engine?
Old 9th August 2017, 13:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
This is interesting. Concern here is only over heating or is there something more to this. I have an auto i10 and i have an habit of putting the car to neutral while driving whenever i see a signal or traffic jam approaching. So does this load the engine?
No, it does not cause any harm, as long as you don't turn off the engine.
Only demerit is reduction in engine braking.

Transmission cooling will continue to happen, as long as engine is ON.
Old 9th August 2017, 13:33   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
Much has been discussed about this here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ic-lights.html

Putting the car into neutral does not load the engine in any way.
Old 27th May 2019, 12:35   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
P mode is same as N mode with transmission locked with a mechanical 'pin'. Should not be used without locking the wheels with brake because this 'pin' can wear and break. Trying to hold the car at stop with P mode is equivalent to stopping the car with a 'pin' that locks the transmission shaft. Can put a lot of stress on this pin if the car is on incline ,etc. so P mode should always used with brakes just like N mode.
I remembered your post when parking on a steep slope yesterday. Always lock the car in place with the handbrake, then engage "P". No stress on the locking pin.

Automatics : P or N at signals / traffic lights?-20190526-11.32.29.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 14:28   #52
BHPian

Hello All

I always keep the gear lever in Neutral when I am making a temporary stop. 'P - Park', as the name suggests, is only for situations when one has parked the car and will be turning it off. Under no circumstances should you put the car in 'P' during a temporary stop.
Old 27th May 2019, 17:32   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
. Under no circumstances should you put the car in 'P' during a temporary stop.
It is really not dramatic. Nothing happens when you put your car in P during a temporary stop.

The main concern seems to be what happens when you get rear ended whilst in P. But then again, people bump into Park cars as well. Also, on hills it can be a bit cumbersome. Certain cars will be difficult to get out of park.

At the end it is down to preference more than anything.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 27th May 2019 at 17:36.
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 17:51   #54
Team-BHP Support

I prefer N for short stops since it is easier than moving all the way to P and through R in between (most cars have this sequence P > R > N > D). But yes hand brake needs to be in good condition for this to be safely engaged.
Old 27th May 2019, 22:56   #55
BHPian

N for really short stops (bumper to bumper traffic, letting people cross the road etc.)

N + Handbrake for longer stops and traffic signals. Most of the signals come around in the clockwise direction so can disengage the handbrake accordingly (people behind you at a signal will be waiting to honk as soon as the light goes green )
Even make my Dad do this in his car. I just can't stand an automatic being in D while its stopped. Maybe its my mechanical sympathy or I've got some kind of Neutral gear OCD.

P for parking only. If my car is parked on even a slight incline, I can feel its harder to slot into.
Old 28th May 2019, 10:31   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Also, on hills it can be a bit cumbersome. Certain cars will be difficult to get out of park.
It becomes cumbersome if the car is parked on Parking pin and not the handbrake. If you pull the hardbrake all the way up when on N and then engage P, disengaging it will be a breeze.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 16:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
It becomes cumbersome if the car is parked on Parking pin and not the handbrake. If you pull the hardbrake all the way up when on N and then engage P, disengaging it will be a breeze.
Sorry bumping up a old thread, I also fee the same way, when my Creta DCT is parked on a little incline, disengaging from P becomes little hard. But the manual states that we must first move the shift lever to P and then engage parking brake as opposed to what is stated in the quoted post. So what is the correct way, should we engage parking brake before or after moving the shift lever to P?
Old 5th March 2021, 16:51   #58
ike
BHPian

We recently got a Jazz CVT and I'm a noob when comes to driving an AT. In stop and go traffic or in signals, I shifted to P to take the load off the transmission and the brakes and engaged the handbrake. However, what spooks me is that as soon as you shift to P, all the doors unlock. I think it is safer to stay in N and engage the parking brake for brief stops.
Old 5th March 2021, 16:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

With foot brake paddle completely depressed, apply Parking brake first and then shift the gear shaft to Parking position. Only after that, release the foot brake paddle.

To shift from P to D, just do the reverse. 😊
Old 5th March 2021, 17:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
With foot brake paddle completely depressed, apply Parking brake first and then shift the gear shaft to Parking position. Only after that, release the foot brake paddle.

To shift from P to D, just do the reverse. 😊
But the car manual says opposite. It states "Before leaving the driver’s seat, always make sure the shift lever is in the P (Park) position, then set the parking brake, and place the ignition switch in the LOCK/
OFF position".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks