Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 16:43   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

During the recent AC check up camp organized by Fiat at Thane Fiat dealer when my Punto was on the ramp, I noticed the stone guard plate paint peeling off and the rust being clearly seen. I thought even this part would be subjected to the factory anti rust underbody coating which evidently is not. Now the stone guard is the only piece of defence for the engine against water, stones and truly deserves the anti rust coating. Can I get the coating done only for the stone guard.

One of the Punto owners who faces the same issue had checked at the 3M store and was told that the anti rust isnt applied to the guard because of its proximity to the hot engine. What do BHPians feel?
Old 7th May 2014, 21:57   #257
BHPian

Hi All. I have recently bought a new Ford Figo petrol. I got first service done today and workshop was asking for underbody anti rust coating and engine coating. He was asking for Rs 3850+ tax for under body anti rust coating and Rs 1000 for Engine coating. When I asked whether it is a 3M coating, he said its a Ford branded coating with 3 years warranty.
Please let me know whether i should get this coating done. I stay in Mumbai and rarely drive the car on weekdays.
Old 11th May 2014, 23:47   #258
BHPian

I wholly agree with what fellow member Chewbacca had said earlier. I had opted for anti-rust underbody coat for about 2500 Rs when I bought my Alto in 2009. Recently, I found wheel well rust and general rust spots typical of a car which is 4 years old. The underbody coating is most likely a sham to bank on the love of the car owners for their cars. They spray very carelessly and didn't even bother to remove the fender lining to spray inside the fender assy to prevent it from rust. Moreover, the paint started to chip as they hadn't done a good job of cleaning the wheel wells before painting.

I fixed all these anomalies for Rs. 200 a while back. I bought a half-litre can of 1001 brand Bituminous black paint from the local paint store (this is the one marketed as "Anti-Rust" paint), cleaned and generously sanded the rust spots with a 100 grit sandpaper, applied a thick coat of paint on the metal and used it generously on fender linings and other apron linkages which had rust spots on them.

I also removed the battery and cleaned the compartment and applied some paint on the battery tray made of metal and the gearbox mounting just under the battery tray which had corroded from an acid spill. Overall, it looks good but I don't know for how long the paint will hold up. However, I take solace in the fact that if at all a recoat is required after a couple of years, I won't have to spend way too much on "Anti-Rust Paint". Rust is an eventuality for all cars which have iron in their body/chassis. It is better to set aside some cash for corrective maintenance rather than opting for costly preventive maintenance on a brand new car.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 17:13   #259
BHPian

I've noticed that under body anti-rust coat is not sprayed on the exhaust system, engine sump and other engine/exhaust components under the car. Actually these are more prone to rusting & have little or no rust protection during manufacture. I might be wrong here, please correct. Additionally, the under body coating is done on the areas which are already protected during manufacture.

So in spite of getting my car's under body coated some 4 years back the exhaust system is now showing signs of rust. I am sure I wasted money on the under body coat.
Old 15th May 2014, 08:51   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
I've noticed that under body anti-rust coat is not sprayed on the exhaust system, engine sump and other engine/exhaust components under the car.
What about the heat generated by the engine and exhaust system? Will that let the coating stick to the pipes and not fall off like a powder?
Old 15th May 2014, 09:06   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

What about the heat generated by the engine and exhaust system? Will that let the coating stick to the pipes and not fall off like a powder?
Exactly my thoughts. The only solution I can think of is chrome plating and heat resistant powder coat type paint found on motorcycle exhausts.
Old 15th May 2014, 09:20   #262
BANNED

By and large modern cars to not require any additional rust treatments, unless you are in a very high corrosion area. Then search and go for an international treatment like Dinitrol rather than the dealer stuff which is about the same as the Rubbaseal of two decades ago.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 16:28   #263
Senior - BHPian

During the recent RTB checking of the Ford Fiesta Classic, the Sales Adviser pointed to a few spots under the chassis which had rusted(speed braker scraped areas).

He tried to sell me the 5 year warranty chassis treatment. Ideally what must be done to the spots? Can i afford to ignore?
Old 29th July 2014, 15:35   #264
BHPian

I have a Ritz of 2010 and will be travelling to the places with high humidity (Sea level) and my drives in the rain is also bit high. Also I do not have a closed parking (Daily my car is parked on Road in front of my home). Due to these reasons I had to go for anti rust coating / underbody treatment. Till today after 4 years of drive almost 70 K Kms I have not seen any part of my car rusted.
Old 29th July 2014, 21:22   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
By and large modern cars to not require any additional rust treatments, unless you are in a very high corrosion area. Then search and go for an international treatment like Dinitrol rather than the dealer stuff which is about the same as the Rubbaseal of two decades ago.
I know of the factory anti-corrosion treatment, but does it still stand given that many cars do scrape their bellies on our Mt. Everest minded speedbumps?

The part which contacts tarmac will get worn of its paint/coating, which is why I'm thinking maybe I should have it done, even though I'm not in a coastal area.
Old 5th September 2014, 13:51   #266

Thanks to fellow members - Chewbacc, JustCause and Sgiitk, I will now, without any guilt, tick-off the underbody corrosion treatment from my "to-do" list.
Surprisingly, even the showroom executives do recommend getting this done. At Magnum Honda, I found out that this is an out-sourced job, done be a couple of 18-20 years olds, and in less than 30 min.
I suppose the companies should focus on highlighting that they do a good job taking care of such aspects instead.
Old 10th September 2014, 13:57   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsarunkumar View Post
I will now, without any guilt, tick-off the underbody corrosion treatment from my "to-do" list.
True that. It's not really needed in modern cars - which come pre-treated for rust on the underbody.
The only cars that really needed this were the old Amby's , Premier Padminis etc. but car making has come a long way since then.
Old 10th September 2014, 14:28   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsarunkumar View Post
Thanks to fellow members - Chewbacc, JustCause and Sgiitk, I will now, without any guilt, tick-off the underbody corrosion treatment from my "to-do" list.
Surprisingly, even the showroom executives do recommend getting this done. At Magnum Honda, I found out that this is an out-sourced job, done be a couple of 18-20 years olds, and in less than 30 min.
I suppose the companies should focus on highlighting that they do a good job taking care of such aspects instead.
In all showrooms this is a outsourced job.

At Blue Hyundai , Mysore road where i had got it done, young youths of the age group you mentioned do the job without masks,gloves or goggles. Pathetic working conditions inhaling the poisonous fumes of the coating . I learnt that they are not provided even when they asked for it.

Not to mention the faulty air gun and thinner they add to the mix to adulterate and make profit.

Request others who want to get it done to do so at authorized 3M centers where safety and quality are better
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:49   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Any car, may it be Mercedes or Maruti, or even the Nano comes with a factory coated underbody. It won't peel off or chip away even after 10 years unless scrapped over speedbreakers or other obstacles. Money spent for an underbody coat for a brand new car is a complete waste.
The car manufacturer has already done a perfect job.
I've actually read this post and refused the anti-corrosion coating at 3M. However this happened and need your advice.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...3l-mjd-gc3.jpg

Should I get some sort of touch-up or is it okay to ignore?
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:59   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I've actually read this post and refused the anti-corrosion coating at 3M. However this happened and need your advice.
Should I get some sort of touch-up or is it okay to ignore?
I think its better to opt for the underbody anti rust coating from 3M or others. Fiat cars come with factory applied coating but thats way too less to protect against the Indian road conditions. They may be effective for an year or so but definitely not long lasting. So for that extra peace of mind, better to get the anti rust coating from 3M. You do get half yearly checks and top up free in case required.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks