Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 11:35   #61
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Go for the 3M Underbody coating

The 3M Underbody Coating is sure worth it. I paid Rs. 2,000 (incl. tax) for the entire coating for my Alto LXi (May 2008) recently and was given a 3 year warranty by 3M with a free check and touch up every 6 months

Got it done at the MASS (Mandovi Motors, Yeshwantpur, Bangalore). However, I would recommend that you spend your time being around the car when its being done. The guy who applies it misses certain hard-to-reach spots and if you keep a close eye whilst he's applying the coat, you can bring this to his notice and he will touch up those spots.

Also, the road noise levels have reduced to some extent in the Alto post this treatment, which means it does have some sound deadening properties.

Tip: Try not to drive your car in the rain for about 24 hrs after the coating is done. This will ensure better adhesion of the coat to the sheet metal of the underbody.
Old 8th August 2008, 20:36   #62
BANNED

How long do the effects of an Anti Rust Coating remain, and is it recommended to have it done on a brand new vehicle, at the time of taking delivery?

Do all anti rust coating's come with a warranty?
Old 8th August 2008, 22:46   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
How long do the effects of an Anti Rust Coating remain, and is it recommended to have it done on a brand new vehicle, at the time of taking delivery?

Hi, The effectiveness would be best seen when done on a new car, is my guess.
There's no warranty as far as i know. Dinitrol issues a card with 4 free check-up/inspection intervals. And the last check-up being around 3 years from the date of application. Please correct me if i'm wrong with the dates/frequencies mentioned.
Old 8th August 2008, 23:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did 3M underbody coating before taking delivery of my car from Hyundai as I did not want to go for it later with any underbody rust or damage.

I did not get any warranty card.
Old 9th August 2008, 01:12   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I did 3M underbody coating before taking delivery of my car from Hyundai as I did not want to go for it later with any underbody rust or damage.

I did not get any warranty card.
Is the under body coating and Anti Rust Coating one and the same thing?
How much did you pay for it?

Is it worth getting?
Old 10th August 2008, 18:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

IMHO it makes no sense whatsoever to get underbody coatings in new cars. The car's warranty would cover rusting as well, would it not ?

First & foremost, paint techniques & technology has progressed tremendously. There is no extra protection the under body coating will offer.

If the underbody is scrapped, there is bound to be damage to the coating, rusting may occur after a scrape on the underbelly, would they cover that in warranty ? I doubt it very much.

You are just making the dealer a much happier man by getting this done on a new car.

If your car does get scrapped or damaged at some later date. Then it'd make sense to have protection (underbody or on body panels) as the original paint has been damaged & rusting could happen.

Cheers
Old 10th August 2008, 18:55   #67
BHPian

I am planning to get under body coating for my Santro when it goes for service this time, lastly done when it was just 6months old. These don't cover for silencer or parts right? this is what i hear from those people but my silencer tail pipe is showing sign of rust
Old 11th August 2008, 11:27   #68
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Anti Rust not for silencers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I am planning to get under body coating for my Santro when it goes for service this time, lastly done when it was just 6months old. These don't cover for silencer or parts right? this is what i hear from those people but my silencer tail pipe is showing sign of rust
Hi rranjith,

The silencer cannot be covered with any anti rust coating mainly because of the high intensity heat is has to handle. Also, the anti rust coating could cause a fire hazard if it were applied to the exhaust system. Early Santro's were prone to corroding exhaust pipe ends. But the company addressed the problem with the introduction of the Xing version.

The anti rust coating is generally applied to the sheet metal parts underneath the car and to the wheel wells. Would be worth is if your going to hold on to the car for a few more years.

Cheers!
Old 11th August 2008, 13:38   #69
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Anti rust coating

Quote:

The effects of the anti rust coating will remain as long as the coating is not scratched/chipped off.

Having it done on a new vehicle while takign delivery has its own advantages- the underbody is clean and does not need to be washed to apply the coating, which means the better adhesion of the coating to the sheet metal parts.

The warrant depends on the manufacturer. 3M usually gives a 2 year warranty on its underbody coating with 4 free check-up inspections (1 inspections every 6 months). Would recommend you get the coating of a reputed brand like 3M.
Old 11th August 2008, 14:09   #70
BANNED

What happens to cars when holes are drilled in the floor to install amps etc.? And then the underbody is subjected to excess of water? Would these require special treatment?
Old 11th August 2008, 14:30   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Tip: Try not to drive your car in the rain for about 24 hrs after the coating is done. This will ensure better adhesion of the coat to the sheet metal of the underbody.
What if someone is buying a new car in the monsoon period...and taking the delivery when its raining hard?
Old 11th August 2008, 15:56   #72
BHPian

I don't think it matters much. The service station actually washes the car normally for delivery after the undercoat treatment.
Old 11th August 2008, 16:23   #73
BHPian

That TATA MOTORS site has all the details including the pricing and the areas of the care that requires this treatment. I got my OHC this anti rust treatment at Tata Workshop (only because it is near my house) and costed me 3.5k with a 3 year warranty.

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Anti-rust Treatments

You can take your car to any *** (After Sales Services) station and they will do it. IF you can buy any of these products outside, you can get it sprayed it in any garage.
Old 11th August 2008, 23:04   #74
BHPian

thanks GPA I think I will get the treatment done ! as I don't have any idea of a new car or any such thing
Old 12th August 2008, 14:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the under body coating and Anti Rust Coating one and the same thing?
How much did you pay for it?

Is it worth getting?
I believe it is the same thing.
Around 3400.
I went for it when I bought the car as it was just a matter of time before going for it.

Most Viewed