Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 16:20   #76
BHPian

hi guys, i have just bought a NHC and would like to get a underbody anit-rust coating . now i have got a quotation from bardhal people and they say they are authorised by honda and they will do it for approximately 2500 rs for black coat(3 yr warranty).
they said they have another coating which is transparent and they give a 4 yr warranty for the same. the latter one he says is very good and doesnt spoil the asthetic looks of the car especially in the bonnet edges and the boot. also he is not going to apply the same in the door cavaties as he claims it spoils the power windows and the locks in the doors.
guys please help me decide. and is the pricing good. i stay in mumbai and the weather here is quite humid and the rains are very bad. so i think i should get it done. but which one?
Old 18th April 2009, 16:01   #77

Monsoon around the corner - Underbody anti-rust treatment advice needed!

Hi

The Honda authorised service statiojn are charging Rs. 5500 for this service with 3 year warranty.. they use Waxoyl product, but the local car accessories guy says he can do it for Rs. 1800 with some local product.

Such a wide price difference? Any ideas if the Rs. 5500 is worth it or the Rs. 1800 job will do the trick? Any recommendations who will do a good job on this in Mumbai?

Cheers- Peter
Old 20th April 2009, 13:16   #78
BHPian

I got underbody coating done at 390 Rs

150 for Coating, 100 for washing and 70 Rs rubber coat 1 ltr, 70 rs Petrol. I will get it done each year
Old 21st April 2009, 06:54   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I got underbody coating done at 390 Rs

150 for Coating, 100 for washing and 70 Rs rubber coat 1 ltr, 70 rs Petrol. I will get it done each year
I really doubt whether this is underbody coating !

They might be giving you very low cost black rubber coating.
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

3M / DINITROL / WURTH . I am being offered treatments from these 3 companies for my linea. Which one is effective and better choice??
Old 24th May 2009, 15:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

It seems that the underbody coating is something well required. I would be really thankful if someone can sum up the list of things involved so that a layman like me can protect himself from being misled by the dealers.
And please mention some guys in Delhi NCR who undertake this job.

Regards
Tanveer Singh
Old 28th May 2009, 12:55   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
3M / DINITROL / WURTH . I am being offered treatments from these 3 companies for my linea. Which one is effective and better choice??
The quality & cost is like :

3M > DINITRO.

Haven't heard about Wurth...!
Old 29th May 2009, 06:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottoman View Post
Hi,

I have a Baleno Lxi, I bought it on 14th Sept 2005, almost from the time i bought my car Chennai has been under heavy spells of rain. I had drive my car thru bumper high water a lot of times. Iam thinking about getting the belly of car teflon coated. I asked a couple of freinds and the maruti authorisedc service center, but i seem to be getting different opinions. The service center people told that it would be better if i get a teflon coating done. My friends say that most of the cars today have high grade paint which is usually rust free. Would be happy if some of guys give some information on this.

Lottoman.
underbody treatment i.e rust proofing...it is another dealer gimmick..waste of money these days cars are manufactured with corrosion proof materials.in fact if it is not applied properly it can damage the car.It was a great sales pitch in the 1980's in USA but it is not popular now unless you are living in the cold climate where there is lots of snow and use a lot of road salt to keep the roads clear of snow and ice
Old 14th June 2009, 22:36   #84
BHPian

Underbody anti-rust coating for Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyakash View Post
I got it done under chassis coating for my car Spark LT with my first 6months service. The brand is (3M) with warranty for 5 years. It costed me 2990 in Sundaram Motors, Kasturba Road. Bangalore.

Since monsoon is approaching, I thought its better to go for such a treatment as water splash and kind of exposure normally happens to the car.

Please some one tell me, is the price I paid is worth the money ?

Thanks

I am quoting an old thread here. I just had a 3m antirust done for my month and half Spark at the dealership. Was wondering if i did the right thing because almost everyone i know says "you really didnt need it in the north", and the car manual says (i read it now :( ) that basic protection is provided for by the company. So did i just waste my time and money or do i get a pat for being doubly careful about my new car's health?
By the way i paid Rs 1600/- for a 3M anti-rust spray treatment. The dealership guys also tried pushing me for a plating treatment of some sort for the silencer/exhaust but i said some other time.
I wasn't given any warranty card--just the receipt for the treatment. Should i ask for one?
Old 27th July 2009, 17:39   #85
Senior - BHPian

hello people,
I have a ford ikon Flair . I read through the owner's manual and it says that the underbody of the car has been treated for rust and is protected against it.Does it means that no underbody coating for rust like 3M/DINITRo/WURTH ,ets are required??
or Do I still need to do it ??
Old 27th July 2009, 18:10   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
hello people,
I have a ford ikon Flair . I read through the owner's manual and it says that the underbody of the car has been treated for rust and is protected against it.Does it means that no underbody coating for rust like 3M/DINITRo/WURTH ,ets are required??
or Do I still need to do it ??
How old is your car ?
Old 27th July 2009, 18:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Why not just put the car on a ramp, go under and check if you can find some kind of coating or if its just bare metal? If its just some paint, then check how good/thick/durable it is. If its fairly thin and not so durable, the metal underneath can get exposed eventually due to road debris hitting on the underside. Good underbody coats should be abrasion resistant.

What you could also do, if you dont want to spend, is to just keep checking the underside for rust at reasonable intervals. If you do find signs of rusting, you can then consider an underbody coat.

Those wanting to do underbody coating, I saw a board advertising a transparent underbody coating at the MASS.

Some (3M, if I recall correctly) underbody coats also promise sound deadning. Don't know how true this is in real... but if it is, it could be quite desirable in some of our cars.

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th July 2009 at 18:16.
Old 28th July 2009, 10:27   #88
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Some (3M, if I recall correctly) underbody coats also promise sound deadning. Don't know how true this is in real... but if it is, it could be quite desirable in some of our cars.
Yes, the 3M underbody coat does deaden road noise to a considerable level. Might not be noticeable in the city but once on the highway and with the windows rolled up, the cabin is rather silent.

Also, if you tap on the undersides of the floor panels with a hammer, you get that distinctive soft thud (metal hitting rubber sound) as the coating is rather thick.
Old 28th July 2009, 10:39   #89
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
The dealership guys also tried pushing me for a plating treatment of some sort for the silencer/exhaust but i said some other time. I wasn't given any warranty card--just the receipt for the treatment. Should i ask for one?
curious,

All 3M treatments come with a warranty card stamped at the dealership. The underbody coating is under warranty for a period of 2 years and has free check-up dates mentioned on the card. Go back to your dealer and ask for one. IMO, the coating is a worthwhile investment on your car, so don't worry about having 'wasted' the money.

Also, steer clear of any anti-rust coating for the silencer as the exhaust components get extremly hot under operation and and additional coating applied can easily lead to a fire hazard.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 29th July 2009, 23:30   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
How old is your car ?
Hi mithun,
the car is 10 months old as of now .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks