Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2024, 22:50   #406
BHPian

Re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_aficianado View Post
Unfortunately my area mandates some form of an anti corrosion treatment. My last 2 cars were completely ravaged by rusting within the first 4 - 5 years of ownership.

@All - thank you for the response and support. I have booked the treatment and will update post the session. Planning to go for both antirust as well as sound dampening as suggested.
Update - I did get get the Dinitrol treatment + sound dampening done for the vehicle. Very professional and tidy work from Tufkote. Ryan was very knowledgeable and we spent quite a bit of a time discussing various aspects of anti rust treatment and the current market scenario in this specific industry.
Looks to be a job well done and overall very happy with the service. Will keep an eye out of anything out of the ordinary but will definitely recommend Ryan and Dinitrol for anti rust treatment.
Old 2nd February 2024, 17:56   #407

Hello @All,
I have an 11-year-old Honda Brio and recently during a wash I observed rusting in both the rear wheel arches. Except for this issue, the car is absolutely fine, and I plan to keep it as long as possible.

What are my options to fix this?
Will under body coating help in arresting the rusting?

Attaching photos for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-rust_image_1.jpeg  

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-rust_image_2.jpeg  

Old 4th February 2024, 21:36   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthewheels View Post
Hello @All,
I have an 11-year-old Honda Brio and recently during a wash I observed rusting in both the rear wheel arches. Except for this issue, the car is absolutely fine, and I plan to keep it as long as possible.

What are my options to fix this?
Will under body coating help in arresting the rusting?

Attaching photos for reference:
Technically the correct way is to get rid of the rust as much as possible using a abrasive brush,then use a marine grade rust converter and then apply anti rust coat along with a top coat.

This would prevent further rusting.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 18:09   #409

Can someone please suggest if ant-rust underbody coating is needed on new cars these days ? I am taking delivery of a new Maruti Brezza next week, and the car will be mostly driven in Pune, which has moderate to heavy monsoon, with occasional weekend trips to coastal areas. My dealer is quoting Rs 3500, and not sharing the name of the brand, just saying that it is a mix of several materials.

Sorry if this has been asked before. From my limited searching, I could not find a conclusive answer.
Old 9th March 2024, 21:48   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider1 View Post
Can someone please suggest if ant-rust underbody coating is needed on new cars these days ? I am taking delivery of a new Maruti Brezza next week, and the car will be mostly driven in Pune, which has moderate to heavy monsoon, with occasional weekend trips to coastal areas. My dealer is quoting Rs 3500, and not sharing the name of the brand, just saying that it is a mix of several materials.

Sorry if this has been asked before. From my limited searching, I could not find a conclusive answer.
Yes I would strongly suggest it specially if you frequent coastal areas.
I would suggest 3m centre in baner. You can meet mr tapas. He is very responsive and I get all my work done with him when I drive down to Pune.

Regards
Manoj
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 15:54   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I just got a comprehensive Dinitrol treatment done from Tufkote for our 4 year old Dzire which was starting to show signs of rust. Experience was good overall let's see how long it lasts in our conditions though.
Opted for Dintrol as it's wax based and according to some better than rubber based coatings which can actually trap moisture and accelerate rusting. Plus Tufkote also treats already rusted areas with rust converter first.
What is the feedback from the application post 2 years now? I got a quotation of Rs. 6000/- inclusive of engine and silencer from Tufkote (Goregaon) As per Ryan, there is no warranty (rust is a natural process) however he would help to get the car inspected in intervals and top up the material as required. 3M or any other standalone applicator would do just the underbody for Rs. 2500/- and provide a warranty for 2 years with one top up.
Old 21st March 2024, 17:15   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I got a quotation of Rs. 6000/- inclusive of engine and silencer from Tufkote (Goregaon) As per Ryan, there is no warranty (rust is a natural process)
Surface preparation is the most important aspect of coatings, you don’t want to damage the existing manufacturer's coating to apply some non-engineered material and you also don’t know what’s the adhesion property of the new coating. So personally, I will refrain from applying any additional coating on my almost brand-new car. Such products are sold in the market with fear mongering tactics, these are strategies that evoke fear or anxiety within consumers to drive them to take action.

Car Under-Body is already given enough protection by Manufacturer end and expecting much from the additional Coating as Solo or additional Protection may just be raising the expectations too much. Enough Protection is done through Industry approved Coating Solutions by auto Manufacturer, so that Car Under-Body, Doors, Boot, Body Panels, Silencers do not get impacted by Rusting. Also, Galvanization is done with Rust Resistant Alloys to provide long lasting results without any Corrosion.

Definitely there isn't any harm in doing such coatings, but there are no additional benefits too, it just adds another layer on already existing Protection levels, but point is no real benefit is achieved in considerably new car except your wallet getting a little lighter, keeps their economy rolling and giving you a peace of mind. In general, Problem arises when the car is considerably old and have paint blemishes or stone chipping on the coatings over a period of driving time, which leads to the corrosion.

Specially for silencers, I would be more worried for the amount of corrosion it creates internally due to the exhaust fumes produced from the engine, that’s why its metallurgy is totally different from rest of the car body, generally stainless steel to inconel for having extreme corrosion as damage mechanism in that specific portion.

Thought of apprising you, so that you can take well informed decision.

Still if you plan to go ahead, then In my opinion, if you intend to hold your car for 10 years or more, go for such coatings at the end of 5/6 years for cost benefits.

Last edited by NomadSK : 21st March 2024 at 17:29.
NomadSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 18:30   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Still if you plan to go ahead, then In my opinion, if you intend to hold your car for 10 years or more, go for such coatings at the end of 5/6 years for cost benefits.
Felt like I have gone back to 10th Standard Science book, well explained Forgot to mention that my car is now 6 years old and have not done any anti rust treatment in the last 3 years. Initially, with the car Bhavna Ford (Dealer) had given 3 years of 3M Anti Rusting treatment as complimentary. In Mumbai, the roads are filled with water, potholes etc and I worry that now the car has aged enough to show signs of rusting. I intend to keep the car for another 9 years (aspirational) so better to have preventive measures to avoid rust/corrossion issues.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 21st March 2024 at 18:31.
Old 21st March 2024, 19:27   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
What is the feedback from the application post 2 years now? I got a quotation of Rs. 6000/- inclusive of engine and silencer from Tufkote (Goregaon) As per Ryan, there is no warranty (rust is a natural process) however he would help to get the car inspected in intervals and top up the material as required. 3M or any other standalone applicator would do just the underbody for Rs. 2500/- and provide a warranty for 2 years with one top up.
My other car and neighbours car on which we got Dinitrol done are absolutely fine.
Unfortunately my Dzire started rusting UNDER the paint last year and in areas where Dinitrol treatment wasn't done like the lip on which rubber beading is fitted. Had to get the whole car repainted except for the roof. My painter has applied some rust preventative stuff so it's fine for now but I will take it for another round of Dinitrol before next year's monsoons.

As I said, it's working fine on two other cars that were treated at the same time but there were other issues with the Dzire from the factory. Quite certain about that because a few months ago my painter has another Dzire of the same colour and similar vintage come in for similar rusting issues for a repaint.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks