Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2010, 00:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to reduce the glare on the ORVMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
I just flick the flipping button below the ORVM to cut out the glare. I thought all cars had these - have seen it even very old cars.
Or is there something iv missed.
The thread is discussing cutting the glare in the Outside Rear View Mirrors, these are the ones that stick outside the front doors in the vicinity of the A pillars base.

What you are referring to is the Internal Rear View Mirror the one that is inside the cabin stuck to the middle of the front wind screen.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
In Fiesta since its a motorized OVRM adjustment, bringing the angle down means compromising on the rear view capability. I might start seeing only the rear vehicle tyres.
Not really! I do this based on how much glare coming on my eyes. Adjust down/up & slight outward/inward just to avoid glare! It works. Again there is no particular angle u can sure it works in all conditions. Depending on vehicle tail gating u need to adjust continuously.

Question: At night, isn't light from vehicle behind you itself enough to see some one is behind? I go by intensity of lights to gauge the distance between us. Agree this doesn't work all time (based on varied lighting in tailgating vehicle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You don't have to point it all the way down, just a few mms. The point is to avoid a direct glare; you can't avoid all the lights altogether. Try it first and then comment.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
They have. It's just too expensive. My Merc has auto dimming on the mirrors. But if you break them, be prepared to shell out major $$$ for them.
Sure it is expensive in Merc, it's tad expensive in Fiesta too! 4500!
Old 20th December 2010, 10:38   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
This is definitely going to sound stupid. Can we put the films that we put on the windows on the ORVM? May be that can cut the glare?
If you do this, it will hit you during the day time - the visibility will be much lesser when you have the sunfilm installed.

I guess Bangy auto drivers have a solution to this. They have some sort of mirror [or a coating] on the rear windshield which will reflect the light back to the vehicle right behind them. So the guy at the back has no choice but to shift to low beam.

This some time gets so irritating that even low beam will reflect back.

But I sometimes seriously think how can I get this done on my windshield. Any pointers guys? Is it some kind of coating on the glasses they have?

Off Topic: During day time, I completely am in love with the set up on the ricks, that I can admire my car's beauty sitting inside [I have never seen it moving in the road and dont know how does it appeal as I always drive the car]. And sometimes I even check the functionality of my head light, indicators and all by looking at the "mirror" behind these ricks

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th December 2010 at 10:40.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2010, 10:57   #34
BHPian

im not sure if we get anti glare ORVMs but having light colored tinted windows does the trick for sure.... I was having this issue with my zen and continue to have similar issues with Manza and Cruze... So whenever i see those high beams, I close my driver-side window half-way just enough to prevent those glares...
Im yet to find a permanent solution....
Old 20th December 2010, 11:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Two solutions come to my mind
1. Cabbi / Auto Riksha solution Get few scrapped CDs and paste them behind your vehicle with shiny side up. Reflected lights will force the driver of vehicle behind you to dim light. Flipside is that people will mistake you for a cabbie.

2. Wear light colored or preferably Amber color polarizing glass.
But light colors in glasses like pink, sky blue look girlie and Amber is too industrial.
Old 20th December 2010, 13:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

I generally face this problem as well and it becomes quite annoying.

What I do is:-

1. Raise the windows, as the sunfilm reduces the glare to about 50%
2. I stop and let them overtake, and then blast my high beam on them ;-)
3. If it is at a signal, I lower my mirrors.

Cant think of any other solution
Old 21st December 2010, 10:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

The practice I follow when someone from behind is blasting with high beams , is I just flip the inside Rear view mirror to reduce the glare & Outside rear view mirrors are adjusted in such a way that the refelected lights hits the driver's face. Sometimes they lower their highbeams to LOW.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:53   #38
BHPian

^^^ Even I follow the same rule. If the adjustment is correct, then the driver at the rear dims his headlight. The sun film on windows also help in mitigating the glare.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:58   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
2. Wear light colored or preferably Amber color polarizing glass.
But light colors in glasses like pink, sky blue look girlie and Amber is too industrial.

I tried doing this with mixed results.
Some headlights especially the nasty white/blue ones look tolerable. But some headlights especially badly aligned fog lights become very bright.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:08   #40

Rear View Mirror

I am actually new to driving.I bought a wagonR Duo and learnt driving in it.During night driving I find the reflections of head lights of the tailing cars are highly irritating and distracting I do not have any special tinted mirror.So i fold the mirror up and drive peacefully in normal traffics at night(I haven't tried it in highway).Most of the tailing vehicles now a days move to the right side impatient to overtake you.so you could always see them in right mirror.left mirror too is there to view.I always drive at safe speed.so i find no need for looking back through rear view mirror.I have been driving like this for 2 years now.I occasionally drive at night time.
Members can advice a novice like me on this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th March 2011 at 21:17. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, already existing topic. Thanks
Old 29th March 2011, 21:28   #41
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rear View Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by spschromepet View Post
I am actually new to driving.I bought a wagonR Duo and learnt driving in it.During night driving I find the reflections of head lights of the tailing cars are highly irritating and distracting I do not have any special tinted mirror.So i fold the mirror up and drive peacefully in normal traffics at night(I haven't tried it in highway).Most of the tailing vehicles now a days move to the right side impatient to overtake you.so you could always see them in right mirror.left mirror too is there to view.I always drive at safe speed.so i find no need for looking back through rear view mirror.I have been driving like this for 2 years now.I occasionally drive at night time.
Please do not fold your mirrors just to avoid the glare; you save yourself from the grave but make things difficult for you by not having a clear view through the OVRMs.

Instead you can - 1) arrange the glass in such a way that the glare does not hit your eye.
2) let the cartoon pass or move your vehicle so you don't get hit by the glare.

Not worth putting yourself at risk by folding OVRMs just because some people don't have proper driving etiquette.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:06   #42

I agree with you Libran,But by practice now involuntarily fold the windshield mirror and drive during night.within city I open it.as there are street lights glare is limited.in dark rural roads I fold the mirror.otherwise I am dazzled at times to the levels of stun effect.That is more dangerous while driving.if some car/truck is tailgating you close with high beam on your car's interior glows.so you know it.if he wants to pass you he honks.you give way seeing him in right r v mirror.practice makes you an expert in this.Still I may not be all correct!!!!
Old 29th March 2011, 23:46   #43
Team-BHP Support

Not a good thing to get used to.

The rear view mirror will just show you the vehicles exactly behind you or next to you as long as they are sufficiently behind. You are blind to someone next to you; worse when it is dark.

I suggest you let the OVRMs be extended at all times of the day and get used to it. Trust me, it makes a huge difference to your driving. And don't worry about the glare, you will eventually learn to avoid it.
Old 30th March 2011, 04:23   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
.... through the OVRMs.
Nishad, I think he is mentioning the inside rear view mirrors. Not ORVM's, which he mentioned, that he keeps open all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spschromepet View Post
spschromepet, AFAIK, the Wagon R has Day/Night Inside rear view mirror. So, just keep in 'Night mode' when you find glare irritating.
Old 10th March 2012, 17:26   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

At the risk of sounding stupid, I wanted to ask how exactly does a Day night IRVM work? From what I have seen is that when you flick it to the night mode it takes a new position where I can see the roof of my car plus the rear view. And although the glare from the lights is reduced but the overall view also becomes less clear. If you readjust the mirror to your original position even with the switch below it flicked to the night position then there is no difference. Am I doing this right or missing something here?

Most Viewed