Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2005, 14:16   #1
BHPian

hey...im new, im lost and i need help with my zen!!!

hey people,
before i start going deep into my car cribs let me introduce myself. Im Alok, basically from hyderabad but spend 3 long years in delhi studying. Did my BBA there and am back in hyderabad for good. Im working for this Ad Agency called RK Swamy BBDO as a copywriter. before any of you who havent heard of it start thinking that it might sound like a shady down market cafe lemme tell you that we make ad's for microsoft, karvy, effem (what the mars corp. <the makers of mars, snickers, twix, pedigree, etc> is called in india). and more over these guys take us on foreign triip for free every year so guess that says it all!
other than putting pedal to the metal i love drumming and live on heavy metal.

now, about my car quries:
iv got a 3 yr old zen petrol, great condition, and want to change it into a mod car. for that i need input for my questions from everyone at team-bhp.
1. It is common knowledge that the zen is a 60 bhp car. and i know about the free flow exaust, throttles (butterfly valves), air induction kits, etc. now what i dont know is how much of a bhp increase can each of these cause. and which of these do i add to get a +20 to +40 increase in my bhp.
2. also the cost of all these mods individually and collectively installed to give me best performance.
3. the spoilers i have seen on so many zens....do they really increase stability at high speeds on a car like the zen, and if so how much would it cost to install 1.
4.which are the best and most affordable tires to drag in? i am right now using the standard factory fitted bridgestones i got with the car.
5. iv seen so many cars with streetglows...some really suit the car and the others that make the car look really wannabe'ish and cheap. now, how much will it cost to install streetglows in hyd. and the place where they can fix them asthetically without spoiling the look of the car.
6.the best and most affordable place in hyderabad for all the above mods to be done.

P.S. when answering these questions please keep in mind im from hyd so give me the cost accordingly.

thanks a heap.

godspeed.
alokdagr8 signin out.
Old 21st December 2005, 16:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey dude
firstly wecome to tbhpp and have a great stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385

now, about my car quries:
iv got a 3 yr old zen petrol, great condition, and want to change it into a mod car. for that i need input for my questions from everyone at team-bhp.
1. It is common knowledge that the zen is a 60 bhp car. and i know about the free flow exaust, throttles (butterfly valves), air induction kits, etc. now what i dont know is how much of a bhp increase can each of these cause. and which of these do i add to get a +20 to +40 increase in my bhp.
dude its not that easy to increase your car by 40 bhp just like that specially with free flows and intake filter.for that youll need something major like a forced induction kit.another alternative would be to plonck the baleno engine into the zen (ie if your really serious about draggin)

Quote:
2. also the cost of all these mods individually and collectively installed to give me best performance.
a good free flow should cost you any where between 6 -13 grand depending on the make and finish.the best people for that is automech.a K&N intake filter should put you back by about 3k.if your planning on getting a turbo installed, it will be anything between 1-1.5 lakh.a slighlty cheaper option would be to get the baleno 1.6 engine.which would cost almost the same.

Quote:
3. the spoilers i have seen on so many zens....do they really increase stability at high speeds on a car like the zen, and if so how much would it cost to install 1.
if your serious about dragging and the mods you have planned it will make sence to get an aluminium wing spoiler.it definitly help at high speeds and provides enough downforce to make sure the tyres are glued to the ground.that should cost you about 4-5k again depending upon the make and material.

Quote:
4.which are the best and most affordable tires to drag in? i am right now using the standard factory fitted bridgestones i got with the car.
slicks are used for draggin.but not many people can afford them and they cant be used for daily use.so i suggest get some good tubeless tyres.you got many options good year bridgestone pirelli....it goes on.just make sure you get the right size and make sure they are tubeless.speeding with tube tyres isnt a very safe thing to do.

i cant answer point 5 and 6 as im not in hyderabad.any way hope that helped.

Rev
Old 21st December 2005, 16:46   #3
BHPian

hey dude
welcome to tbhp. go through the announcements section and abt the mods if you are into seroius draggin then get a baleno engine for your car that ll give you enough power
Old 21st December 2005, 16:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ad Agency called RK Swamy BBDO
Hah,

Take a guess as to which "old man" works at the same company in bangalore....

Small world, welcome aboard.
cya
R
Old 21st December 2005, 16:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[left] Im working for this Ad Agency called RK Swamy BBDO as a copywriter. before any of you who havent heard of it start thinking that it might sound like a shady down market cafe lemme tell you that we make ad's for microsoft, karvy, effem (what the mars corp. <the makers of mars, snickers, twix, pedigree, etc> is called in india). and more over these guys take us on foreign triip for free every year so guess that says it all!
Ghost rider ,

welcome to the forum !

guess you forgot to add the most important client of RK Swamy BBDO in an automobile forum - Mercedes Benz India !

Yes we have heard of it and no we dont think of it as an downmarket cybercafe - you will know how and why and thru whom or maybe that "whom" has a hand in your being here ? who knows !

Over to you RK Swamy BBDO ,Blore !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 21st December 2005 at 16:59.
Old 21st December 2005, 17:01   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hhmm..looks like rudra is having a deep influence or rather keen interest in getting his colleagues to join the forum ..i wont be surprised to see his BOSS joining in sometime soon..guess then rudra wont have to complain about being the only one to sneak onto team-bhp from work ..isnt it rudra..

oh btw welcome aboard ghostrider..
Old 21st December 2005, 17:12   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

its quite difficult to get an additional 40 bhp on a zen specially with the kind of mods that u have mentioned..freeflow,air filters,etc should give u arnd 10-15 bhp if not more..

freeflow should cost u around 10k and a K&N filter around 4-5k..
spoilers on zens wont give u the necessary downforce,but act as only cosmetic additions to a car..this should cost u around 8-10k for a good one..
as far as the tyres are concerned u can look at good soft compound tyres from any of the good companies like michelin,good year,yokohama,bridgestone..best would be slicks if u can afford it..
well as far as neons and strobes are concerned u can go in for them but they are expensive..but quality stuff does come at a price doesnt it..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 21st December 2005 at 17:14.
Old 21st December 2005, 17:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey ghostryder

welcome aboard ..
to answer your questions on the mods ..

Every engine responds to a mod in a different way some respond well other dont .. sometimes you man experience huge low end torque but the car dies as the revs rise up ... know what i mean ?

the basic mod that you can give to you mpfi Zen to start off is a a K&N Performance filter and a low restriction exhaust this should lighten up your throttle more ...greatly improve acceleration and a slightly higher top speed.Ofcourse you will love the music .. this should be good for 7--8 bhp boost

See how she responds ,then go in for further mods .

Spoiers and wings are just cosmetic ..its really your call wether to go for them ,street legals car never achieve speeds at which dowforce comes in =to play

I dont reside in hyderabad ,i am sure local bhpians can guide you with that.

Last edited by turbo_lover : 21st December 2005 at 17:15.
Old 21st December 2005, 17:14   #9
BHPian

thanks a heap revtech!

thanks a heap man. now that you have been so helpful here are a few more questions to keep your keyboard busy!
1. is an air induction and a forced induction kit the same? plz explain
2. how much would it cost and the company to get it from.
3. how much of an increase in bhp would it give me to get a free flow, throttle and an intake filter...with and without the forced induction kit?

i can only spend about 20 - 30 grand right now so the baleno engine is out of the question!
Old 21st December 2005, 17:27   #10
BHPian

Normally crazy: haha...i would'nt have forgetten to mention mercedes. the thing is the merc ad's are not made by BBDO hyderabad... they made by BBDO mumbai. like we make ad's for mars corp. none of the other BBDO's do that.

cheers mate!

godspeed.

aloikdagr8 signing out.
Old 21st December 2005, 17:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

hey ...welcome to t-bhp....and we have heard abt rk swamy before...everyone's favourite t-bhpian also from RK....

over to you saaaar...

about mods on zen...u will find lots ...do a search and you will know
Old 21st December 2005, 17:36   #12
BHPian

hey kooldude,
thanks for your advice. the only prob is i am new at team-bhp and dont really know my way around the site. can you please explain where exactly you want me to go to in the announcement section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
hey dude
welcome to tbhp. go through the announcements section and abt the mods if you are into seroius draggin then get a baleno engine for your car that ll give you enough power
cheers.

godspeed.

alokdagr8 signing out.
Old 21st December 2005, 17:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to TBHP. As Satya mentioned, go through the posts..you'll find enough on Zen mods.
Old 21st December 2005, 17:39   #14
BHPian

Revtech: another question...what size tubeless tyres would you go for on a zen?
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]cheers[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]godspeed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]alokdagr8 signing out[/SIZE]
Old 21st December 2005, 17:41   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from the Admin : Two identical threads have been merged. Please do NOT post the same thread in multiple sections of Team-BHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks