Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 22:27   #1
BHPian

New Fiesta 1.6S friction-like noise at around 1200rpm

Guys
Just today, after reaching back home and having a listen to my ICE system, I noticed this strange noise that came when I revved the engine. The noise comes continuously between 1000 to 1250rpm and then everything is smooth.
No matter how I rev it, it is this band where the noise comes. There is no noise when there is no throttle input (900rpm) it is felt and hear just between 1000 to 1250rpm after which it is butter smooth.

And even when I rev the engine to say 4000rpm and lift off the throttle, as and when the rpm comes down and reaches this band, the noise is heard just the same way, no perceptible change in loudness or anything.

If I keep the revs exactly in this band, the noise is there continuously.

The noise is almost like some kind of "resistance" or "friction" from somewhere inside the bonnet but that is highly unlikely as the car has just completed 5000Km and the first service was done a fortnight ago due to which there is a tremendous increase in fuel efficiency.

It sounds like "grrrrrr" and I can even feel it through my feet.

I am losing my sleep over it, please help me guys.

Best of regards

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 14th December 2010 at 22:42.
Old 15th December 2010, 06:10   #2
BHPian

Re: New Fiesta 1.6S friction-like noise at around 1200rpm

From my limited knowledge, some degree of vibration is normal for a 4 cyl car engine.(6 cyl configuration is said to be most balanced) It becomes perceptible usually in no load condition (revving in neutral)
I have noticed the same in my SX4 as well.

If you are worried check another Fiesta 1.6, so that your doubts are cleared.
Old 15th December 2010, 07:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Better show it to the service centre. You dont want something to be causing friction for long which may result in some damage.

I hope you would be able to recreate the same conditions to show the advisor the issue.
Old 15th December 2010, 08:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me break it down further,

1. It sounds similar to belt noise
2. When the car revs down, you hear this noise typically at 1200 rpmish?
3. Open the bonnet, ask someone to rev the engine in this rev range and try to source the noise from the engine bay. It's from say, bang in front of the driver's side.

If it's all the above, then welcome.

I also faced/face the same issue. First they changed the coolant saying they have to use level2 coolant (I don't believe); didn't fix. Then they changed the water pump;temporarily, partially fixed. Now it's back in it's full form. Have to take my car back to the workshop when I have time.

Will keep you posted. Meanwhile why don't you raise this issue through the customer care?
Old 15th December 2010, 12:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Let me break it down further,

1. It sounds similar to belt noise
2. When the car revs down, you hear this noise typically at 1200 rpmish? See, let's put it this way- I hear it from 1000 to 1250rpm and 1250 to 1000rpm. Within this 250rpm there is no change in tone or loudness, it is a "one note" noise in this band of rpm.
3. Open the bonnet, ask someone to rev the engine in this rev range and try to source the noise from the engine bay. It's from say, bang in front of the driver's side. Will try it today.

If it's all the above, then welcome.

I also faced/face the same issue. First they changed the coolant saying they have to use level2 coolant (I don't believe); didn't fix. Then they changed the water pump;temporarily, partially fixed. Now it's back in it's full form. Have to take my car back to the workshop when I have time.

Will keep you posted. Meanwhile why don't you raise this issue through the customer care?
Which car do you own?
Old 15th December 2010, 19:13   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Which car do you own?
It's a 2009 Dec Fiesta 1.6.
Old 15th December 2010, 19:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

is it the hissing sound when you listen to the music only? what happens in the same rpm when music system is switched off? i was thinking about alternator whine.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:11   #8
BHPian

No No, it is not alternator whine.
This "rubbing-grinding" noise is definitely from somewhere under the hood as I could make out after listening to it carefully yesterday.
Old 18th December 2010, 01:43   #9
BHPian

Today, the car came back home in the evening after a long drive spanning 70Km. Just before reaching home, it was tanked up to the brim.

Now, as soon as it came home I checked for that same vibration but surprisingly, there was no vibration this time around! It was just like new, smooth and cream-like revving

What do I make of this? Good Fuel? Optimum Engine Temperature i.e., a nicely warmed up Engine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks