Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 22:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
^^ I have already informed Captain in the Figo thread, neither me nor the Figo owners that I know/see in Pune face such problem.
My colleagues black Figo has this problem. It has not turned as white as in the pics, but it is there. If all cars are not having this problem, i'll tell him to ask the A.S.S if they can do anything about it.
Old 15th December 2010, 22:17   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Answer 1. Why do you think the wipers have to go to the service position in order to open the hood?
I got the confusion reading the thread; The thread started had mentioned Wiper touching the bonnet when being opened. I Guess i got it the wrong way;My understanding probably

Sorry for going Off topic
Old 15th December 2010, 23:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

Guys, firstly lets stop blaming the Bangalore water for the plastic woes! My neighbors Polo and his Ikon along with my 74 President, 91 118NE, my 03 Maruti 800, sister's rarely used 09 Alto and a cousin's 08 Logan use the same water source (the corporation water we receive) to wash the cars by the same guy. Its been an age old practice not to use anything apart from water to wash them. No detergents, no car shampoos. Its washed 2-3 times a week.

On top of it, all these are parked on streets all the time. If water is the source of the issue, I should see atleast some small signs on my cars and the Ikon too. If a certain car maker's plastic has affinity towards Bangalore's water, god bless the owners. Getting water itself is a luxury and on top of it to arrange different water for washing cars? Priceless!!!

I think these manufacturer's like VW, Fiat and others are cutting costs to spend the least on plastics. Not the right direction to go.

EDIT:
About the wiper thingy: Is it necessary to follow such a checklist to clean around the wipers and to open the bonnet. Cant it be like how it has been in the last so many decades.

Last edited by funkykar : 15th December 2010 at 23:01.
Old 15th December 2010, 23:13   #49
BHPian

Oh my GOD!
It looks serious. Almost scary.
And I say, my 10 year old Maruti Zen is still holding fine with its original 10 year old rubber beadings and plastics.

It is sad to see where the "Quality" in cars is going!

Definitely bad!
Old 15th December 2010, 23:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

My take on the plastics going White.

Was the car waxed in between??
I went overboard with mine and waxed off the black plastics also.
Soon enough the plastics went white. Had to smear them with dashboard polish oil to keep them glossy black. Over period of time with regular washings the things are back to normal.

But no matter what, the beading's are unforgivable. That wear and tear is not acceptable.
Old 15th December 2010, 23:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Ok a question. Does the service position need to be invoked

1. To Clean the windsheild

2. To Open the bonnet to check the fluids etc

3,. All of the above

Please help
It's only to clean your windshield. The bonnet can be opened without any hassles.
Old 16th December 2010, 00:10   #52
BHPian

Since I am a Polo owner so obviously my comments will be biased.

Its a strange viewpoint, whenever anyone of us buys a new car (even if it turns out to be the worst of the lot), we would go out of our way to put all its +ve points forward maybe because after all we bought it with our own hard-earned money! However, if something does go wrong with it we would start cursing the whole company (its history and whatnot!) even if its a one-off case. I myself admit do doing that when i was not getting my RC for more than 2 months!

Anyways back to your case, yes the rubber beading does look bad and has to be replaced no doubts about it. If the dealer doesn't agree to change it or replace it, THEN YOU SHOULD GO NUTS AND LET EVERYONE ON THE FORUM KNOW ABOUT THE VW A.S.S.
Also, if it the problem repeats itself after say a few months, then again please take it to the VW and simply screw them!
Over 25 polo owners (who would also know other friends/family owning polo) on the forum and no-one having such problems, it is quite possible that it may be a one of case.
So if i was you, i would first report it to VW, and even if they sound uninterested or hesitant to replace it, i would definitely go crazy on them!

A car just like any product can develop such problems. Lets not talk about Maruti, how many of the swift owners can have a look at the quarter-panel window beading and confirm that it is indeed rusted (or discolored)! or the unending swift rattles. How many of them can report uneven panel gaps in the interior of estillo. Figo owners just need to compare the gaps between the doors and the dashboard to any other car! Point is imperfections do exist and if all the major auto magazines vouch for the VW polo quality, fit and finish you need to just compare it to other cars in order to realise it. (Other car owners please don't take it in a bad way, Figo is by far the best vfm and Maruti sells everything it makes!

Regarding the plastics, i am not from Bangalore so i cannot say for the water, but yes, the plastics of it and every other car does tend to get faded quite quickly. Yours does look abnormal, so if its not the water then please show it to VW.

As far as the wiper is concerned, its the same in many European cars. Did you know that Polo or for that matter majority of European cars cannot the locked from inside! Google it and you will know the reason behind it.
I thought enthusiastic owners who loved their cars knew all these little bits about it and if not they simply read the owners manual.

Even if i weren't a Polo owner, I don't think my reply would have been much different. Fact is VW is one of those companies who try to provide you quality levels unmatched at that price range. Its one of those companies who had the balls to offer the latest generation polo in that price range rather than sell an old gen. fiesta face-lift named figo or the 10th special edition of swift. Its one of those companies who are truly providing some fascinating and innovating marketing (remember talking vento newspaper). Its finally offering an affordable German car without the atrocious priced skoda spares!
And heres the best part:- VW enters India, just like everyone else trying to compete with Maruti (yeah rite!). But what it actually does is ends up buying 19.9% of Maruti's parent company Suzuki. I guess people can speculate the rest!
Old 16th December 2010, 00:21   #53
BHPian

Solution to repair bad plastics and prove root cause, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Here is how it is on my Figo. The color Changed from black to this whitish texture within 2 months.
Let me know what they say.
Any other Figo owner having this problem ?
Have seen the same problem on my friend's Ikon and he's worried. It could be the water. But guys we should also be discussing on how to repair the whitened plastics at home, since it is a tedious affair claiming warranty and replacing these parts.

Unless of course we have it scientifically proven that the cause is B'lore water or poor quality of plastics, etc.
Its wrong to blame.

Here's an idea to find out-

1.Take two new different company/model cars and wash with water from the area where there is reported problem.
Conclusion:If the plastics whiten or paint else its the water else its the car maker.

2.Wash another similar car (similar to the car reported having problem) car with the same water from above.
Conclusion:If the paint/plastics have some problem its the water, else your car's paint/plastic might be a lemon.

Since a lot of a Team-bhp members reside in B'lore. It would be wonderful if someone organized a meet to finally test and find the cause of this problem.
Old 16th December 2010, 00:26   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When the bonnet is opened, the wiper touches the bonnet and the paint is scratched.
This is caused by not reading the manual.

(although why it should be necessary to read the manual before doing so something so simple as opening the bonnet is another matter!)

Just... I recall (having had a bit of a crush on this car at that time) posters, way back, talking about some specific maintenance position for the wipers. Apparently VW put them in that low position on account of aerodynamics.

Don't at all like the look of those plastics. There are many places in the world with hard water. London, for instance, but you don't see all the plastic turning white!
Old 16th December 2010, 07:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Was the car ever polished either by you or the service center or someone else? You said you found swirl marks on the paint, so it must've been polished?
Some (painted surface only) wax polishes when applied to plastic trim gives it a deep glossy look for some days but over time makes them appear whitish just like in the photos.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2010, 08:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

[quote=GreenDay;2176081 Not sure of 25 Polo threads.[/QUOTE]
Nothing exaggerated here.
There are more than 25 owners and more than 15 Polo ownership reports.
No doubt Bangalore water is hard. Just pour a little bore water on a matt black surface and leave it dry. you will see thick white scales of mineral deposit. But in this case again I feel it is a case of detailing gone wrong.I am not the one who trusts the car washing guy unless I personally oversee the job.The owner himself is complaining about the swirl marks in one month of ownership which gives a fair idea of how the car has been maintained. Can we blame the manufacturer for that also? The plastics every where is in bad shape. Even the air dam has gone white.

Last edited by poloman : 16th December 2010 at 08:07.
Old 16th December 2010, 08:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
Dude.. I know how all my cars were maintained all these years. hence this thread. We live in the same place since three decades and drink and use water from the same source.

Nobody does business for timepass. All are Serious. I'm not saying VW to shut shop and exit India. Its just a way to communicate to them about the quality issues and the thread is for me to get some suggestions of what I can do.
I don't know what they learnt from Skoda, but they have different type of issues compared to Skoda like the waiting period issue.

Who said its only with VW? Others and me are also referring to such problems with Figo and Punto too. Go through the thread properly please.

Because of Threads like these, companies like Fiat improved their plastic quality. Now its so much better. Even Skoda learnt a lot from team-Bhp. Hats off to TB Team.

Don't post unnecessarily please.
I guess you have taken it personally, these are all my just my views.
Sorry if I it had hurt you by any chance.
Old 16th December 2010, 08:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pictures of my 6.5 months old Polo for comparison.So far I have not touched the plastic panels with any of the detailing products.Just wipe them with a towel wet with RO purified water.Please arrive at you own conclusion.Lighting conditions may be different. I would not have gone to this extent if the issue has been any other thing than the plastic and build quality which is the high point of this car.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-dsc00146.jpg  

VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-dsc00147.jpg  

Last edited by poloman : 16th December 2010 at 09:04.
Old 16th December 2010, 08:57   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Guys, firstly lets stop blaming the Bangalore water for the plastic woes! My neighbors Polo and his Ikon along with my 74 President, 91 118NE, my 03 Maruti 800, sister's rarely used 09 Alto and a cousin's 08 Logan use the same water source (the corporation water we receive) to wash the cars by the same guy. Its been an age old practice not to use anything apart from water to wash them. No detergents, no car shampoos. Its washed 2-3 times a week.
We are blaming the boring water not the corporation water. Borewell water in most cities has certain amount of mineral deposits and is hard unlike the corporation water which is softened and treated before sent to the users. This has got nothing to do with ascertaining the cause of white deposits, this is just for information
Old 16th December 2010, 09:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Someone here asked about a simple remedy on how to take care of these whitening plastics. Well, you could either use a good vinyl protector & keep them looking black & new, but this would require you to work on the plastics at least once a week.

Some of you might not agree, but I have been using Waxpol body wax for taking care of that plastic portion below the windscreen from which the wipers protrude out. That part becomes white over time, & though it's a pain to remove the waxpol from there (or any plastic part), the result was satisfactory. Also, waxpol stays a lot longer. I suggest, try putting waxpol hard wax on just a tiny area first & see if you like it.

Drive safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks