Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 08:31   #1
BHPian

Skoda Yeti - Tyre Pressure Advice

There is something about the recommended tyre pressure in Yeti that I have not seen in other cars. The recommended pressures for standard tyre pressure are as under:

Front Tyre Pressure: 2.2 bars/32 psi

Rear Tyre Pressure:

With three passengers & medium luggage: 2.4 bars/35 psi
With five passengers & full luggage: 3.0 bars/ 44 psi

There appears to be pretty big range of pressures for the rear tyres. In most cars there is a single recommendation, and it's left at that.

Does this presuppose that the pressure will be changed with every change in configuration? I am considering a mid value for rear tyres of 40 psi and leave it at that. Any idea what would be the effect of this?
Old 16th December 2010, 12:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti - Tyre Pressure Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
There is something about the recommended tyre pressure in Yeti that I have not seen in other cars. The recommended pressures for standard tyre pressure are as under:

Front Tyre Pressure: 2.2 bars/32 psi

Rear Tyre Pressure:

With three passengers & medium luggage: 2.4 bars/35 psi
With five passengers & full luggage: 3.0 bars/ 44 psi

There appears to be pretty big range of pressures for the rear tyres. In most cars there is a single recommendation, and it's left at that.

Does this presuppose that the pressure will be changed with every change in configuration? I am considering a mid value for rear tyres of 40 psi and leave it at that. Any idea what would be the effect of this?
Stick with 32psi all around. If travelling with 4 people and luggage up the pressure to 35psi all around. If possible fill it with nitrogen I found the ride to be slight better and use it since 2008. The other advantage I recheck just once in 3 weeks.

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th December 2010 at 12:14.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Not only Yeti, I guess every car has the same recommendations.

As per the manufacturer, my rear tire pressure varies from 30-41 psi, I keep it at 35 all the time. On long highway trips with full load, I maintain 41 psi.

Skoda Yeti - Tyre Pressure Advice-tyre-pressure.jpg

Quote:
Stick with 32psi all around.
Isnt that a bit low?. Lower pressures increase body roll and fuel consumption. You gain on comfort though.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Isnt that a bit low?. Lower pressures increase body roll and fuel consumption. You gain on comfort though.

Nop for 2-3 person occasional running in the car 32 psi is all fine. A friend of mine runs the same pressure in his superb diesel and still manages to get FE of 15-16 on the highway.
Old 16th December 2010, 17:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

1-2 psi less is OK during city runs. but if you have full load, then 32psi instead of 44psi will definitely make the tires under-inflated on long highway runs.

Please follow manufactures recommendations.
Old 16th December 2010, 17:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1-2 psi less is OK during city runs. but if you have full load, then 32psi instead of 44psi will definitely make the tires under-inflated on long highway runs.

Please go through my post again I meantioned under full load one can opt for going 35 psi or even to 36 max. Trying running at 44psi under full load under our road condition and with the stiff Yeti ride is bound to get bone jarring atleast it does in a fabia and laura that we have at home.

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th December 2010 at 17:21.
Old 16th December 2010, 18:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Dhanush, I too like to stay with manufacturer's recommendations. However, 44 psi appears a little too high. And I suspect it may become bone jarring on Yeti. I'll need to experiment and see what works.

Also keeping the tyre pressure to 32 psi when recommended pressure is 44 psi would be a little worrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Please go through my post again I meantioned under full load one can opt for going 35 psi or even to 36 max. Trying running at 44psi under full load under our road condition and with the stiff Yeti ride is bound to get bone jarring atleast it does in a fabia and laura that we have at home.
Thanks invinsible for sharing this information. Would it be possible for you to check the recommendation for rear tyre pressure on Fabia and Laura? Are they similar to Yeti?
Old 17th December 2010, 23:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

what is the tyre size on Yeti. Did you upsize it?
Old 18th December 2010, 12:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks invinsible for sharing this information. Would it be possible for you to check the recommendation for rear tyre pressure on Fabia and Laura? Are they similar to Yeti?
Yes recommendation in similar on Fabia and Laura too. However in initial days I tried what was mentioned to keep the tyre pressure 32 in Front and 30 at rear with one or two people. However I have been keeping 30 all around in fabia and laura 32 all around in city where as on highway long drive keep it 32 all around on both but have been filling nitrogen instead of usual air. It keeps the ride better and keeps the tyres cool during long drives.
When travelling with 4 people and luggage I add the pressure to 34-35psi and it works better on the highway with few occasional broken patches on this part of the country.

I wouldn't recommend going much higher than 35-36psi max looking at our hot climate and road conditions. I have heard dealers suggesting 28-30 pressure even on superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
what is the tyre size on Yeti. Did you upsize it?
The stock size is 215/60/R16.
Old 18th December 2010, 12:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
35-36psi max
In case the Yeti pitches too much, 36psi would be just perfect!.
Old 18th December 2010, 15:28   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am considering a mid value for rear tyres of 40 psi and leave it at that. Any idea what would be the effect of this?
40 psi is quite high for a "mid value" in my opinion.

Even the suggested 35 psi takes into account a 3rd passenger and medium luggage. Probably the best bet unless you will consistently have 4+ people + luggage in your Yeti...

cya
R
Old 18th December 2010, 18:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

IMO, keep 32 psi front and 35 psi rear for any kind of running with/without load.
Old 18th December 2010, 18:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

I guess tire pressure recommendation is also based on the profile of the tire.
More thinner the section, the right pressure is (which is higher then fatter sections) more critical and there is different recommendation for diff tyre (front/back) and varying load.
Does yeti come with relatively thinner section? Tyre pressure for Forester (which is a similar vehicle in terms of size and weight) is surprisingly low (28 psi) and I thought this could be because of the higher profile (70)
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
In case the Yeti pitches too much, 36psi would be just perfect!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
IMO, keep 32 psi front and 35 psi rear for any kind of running with/without load.
Thanks Dhanush and Dadu,

I think the opinion is veering around 32 psi front and 35-36 rear. I will keep these pressures for the Yeti tyres.
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dhanush and Dadu,

I think the opinion is veering around 32 psi front and 35-36 rear. I will keep these pressures for the Yeti tyres.
Yes, if you find the ride too bumpy after a week or so, reduce by 1-2 PSI and check again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks