Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 23:43   #1
A.R
BHPian

Maruti Baleno stranded!

Note from the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

guys, need urgent help. while travelling to kollur off nh17 , i had slightly get off the road to avoid an oncoming bus, stopped n the car wudnt move. To describe the issue: car turns on, clutch can be depressed , all gears engage, but car does not move. there is a katrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound when i try to accelerate. not sure if its coz of the terrain.
car is now parked waiting to be towed to a nearby Maruti service center tomorow morning. Maruti online service n nearby masc refused to help today since it was past 6pm! any help towards identify what cud have probably gone wrong would help. also some help on which maruti service center to go to wud help coz not all masc wud have parts for a baleno, me thinks.

Last edited by GTO : 20th December 2010 at 09:31.
A.R is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th December 2010, 23:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Urgent help: baleno stranded

I think one of the drive shaft (left or right) is broken. Replacing the drive shaft should not take more than an hour if nothing else is gone wrong. Whichever is broken, get both replaced if they are old.
Old 17th December 2010, 00:02   #3
BHPian

The Driveshaft must have broken. The milling on the shaft has know to fail. Earlier Reported cases can be refered

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-9k-more.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ft-baleno.html
Old 17th December 2010, 10:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mostly the problem is broken driveshaft/s. Any one broken driveshaft will lead to open differential and the car wont move.
How many kms. the car has covered ?

Generally before failure, driveshaft would lead to some noise like kat..kat specially in turns. That the time when one has to replace the drive shafts.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:00   #5
A.R
BHPian

just got it checked at a private garage,right drive shaft gone. Now another problem - no part available in an around mangalore. Where do i find the part pls?
Old 17th December 2010, 18:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R
i had slightly get off the road to avoid an oncoming bus, stopped n the car wudnt move. To describe the issue: car turns on, clutch can be depressed , all gears engage, but car does not move. there is a katrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound when i try to accelerate.
Exact same issue as I faced some months ago with my Baleno. As others mentioned, the drive shaft is kaput. How old is your car BTW ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore
Earlier Reported cases can be refered
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-9k-more.html
This link is about the issue I faced. For a supposedly top-end offering, the quality seems to be crappy. It was around 15 years after which I replaced the drive-shaft on my 1985 M800. With the Baleno, the part was gone after just 5 years.
Old 17th December 2010, 18:57   #7
A.R
BHPian

got vehicle towed to kamath motors, mangalore, they did some workaround by welding/lathe to existing driveshaft. the service engineer is currently testing car...says ok to drive to blore slowly. else will have to wait for 4-5 days. blore service centers have the parts.
Old 17th December 2010, 21:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

A suggestion if you drive to B'lore with this repaired drive shaft - avoid going into any kind of potholes, depressions like plague, especially on the right side.

And in B'lore when you replace, replace both. And while doing so, ask them to service the steering assembly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
got vehicle towed to kamath motors, mangalore, they did some workaround by welding/lathe to existing driveshaft. the service engineer is currently testing car...says ok to drive to blore slowly. else will have to wait for 4-5 days. blore service centers have the parts.

Last edited by gd1418 : 17th December 2010 at 21:08.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:29   #9
A.R
BHPian

thanks folks for the help. will be leavin mangalore tomorow morning to blore, didn't want to risk driving at night.hope things go well
!
Old 17th December 2010, 22:31   #10
Team-BHP Support

^^ Better keep numbers of the service stations and a couple of tow trucks enroute handy
Old 18th December 2010, 20:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

@hashim and gd1418,

Why to replace both drive shafts when only one is damaged?

I have replaced the left drive shaft of Indigo LS (May 2004) at around 1,80,000-1,85,000kms (dont remember exact reading). Now the reading is 2,09,000+kms.
The car was bought Brand New.

Mostly the left drive shaft gets damaged since the left side has to get down the road if an OverSmart Oncoming Vehicle comes.

The Rubber Boot of that Drive Shaft (left) has got torn (I had bought from local spare part shop since the price difference was around 2500/-. Local Garage Price--3900-4000/- TASS Price--6500/- ).

I will replace the Boot.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 18th December 2010 at 20:30.
Old 20th December 2010, 03:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Exact same issue as I faced some months ago with my Baleno. As others mentioned, the drive shaft is kaput. How old is your car BTW ?

This link is about the issue I faced. For a supposedly top-end offering, the quality seems to be crappy. It was around 15 years after which I replaced the drive-shaft on my 1985 M800. With the Baleno, the part was gone after just 5 years.
On our Maruti 800 the CV joints lasted only 38000 kms while with Baleno bot the Driveshafts and CV joints wok fine at 70k kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks