Team-BHP - Does the height of the car matter -- Fatigue related!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Does the height of the car matter -- Fatigue related!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/94168-does-height-car-matter-fatigue-related.html)

Hi Guyz,
I own a Wagon R and used to own a Fiesta SXi (Sold). I used to constantly see myself, preferring my Wagon R instead of my Fiesta for city drive, as I used to get very tired driving my Fiesta in the city. It could be bcos Wagon R has a very light steering wheel.

But when I used to go for long drives, i would feel very tired in a Fiesta compared to driving in a Wagon R. I tried evaluating as to why this was happening, and I am guessing the below could be the reasons
1.) The seating position in the car. Does the extra height in the seating position in a car help in reducing Fatigue.
2.) My Fiesta was Black, and everyone knows how hot it gets inside a black car, while the Wagon R was silver.
I am asking this since, i am planning on buying a car in another 3 to 4 months, and Figo and Ritz are in my list of choices. I am worried that i would continue to get tired in a Figo, because of it's lower sitting position on longer drives.
Can someone please help throw light on whether the seating position in a Ritz/Wagon R would be less tiring than in a Figo/Fiesta/i20 on long drives ?

Wagon R has a taller seating position and it is inherently a box and without curves unlike Fiesta. The taller seating position gives you a very commanding view of the road and the surroundings. Throw in a light steering, it is a hoot to drive inside the city. Of course its a different story altogether on the highway.

Why don't you test drive each car for a longer duration in dense traffic. This will give you an idea of which car you feel more comfortable in maneuvering the city traffic.

I recently did a Figo TDCI TD and I absolutely loved the car, thanks to it's Fiesta like behavior.
But my question is would having a higher seating position in a long drive really help reduce fatigue.

I tried the ritz and the i10/santro. I would feel heavily fatigued inside the i10/santro. it used to cause an immense pain in the legs.

However the most comfortable i have felt is inside the ikon/fiesta. Where you can stretch your legs.

How tall are you?

I am 5 ft 9 and since I am not very tall, i should feel comfortable in any car other than an Alto or an M800.
While Fiesta has more leg room horizontally speaking, but an higher position of a tall hatch should compensate for it vertically, and in longer drives, I am presuming the lower seating position does induce fatigue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RROD (Post 2186023)
Can someone please help throw light on whether the seating position in a Ritz/Wagon R would be less tiring than in a Figo/Fiesta/i20 on long drives ?

Any car that provides the nearest view of the road just beyond the front fender is always less tiring to drive. Nothing beats the Omni here but the Wagon-R comes close.

Any car that does not have thick A-pillars that block the side view, or does not make you frequently crane your neck (to get a good view) is always less tiring to drive. The Maruti 800 / Alto rules here.

Any car that provides the view of the bonnet edge will help in accurate judgement while cornering, parking and maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle ahead. Since there is no guesswork it is less tiring to drive. All the modern cars have tiny engine bays to make more room inside, however, longer the engine bay, the safer we are in an event of a head-on collision. The Fiesta should score here.

The Fiesta does not have a thick A-pillar and offers excellent diagonal view but you still need to crane your neck (more than the Wagon-R) to maintain safe distance in traffic. Also the Fiesta's clutch is heavier compared to any of the Marutis. As for the steering, the Fiesta provides proper feedback at high speeds because it is hydraulic and thus heavier at low speeds, but is a life-saver on the highways.

Long story short - what matters most to you? Safety? or ease of driving? ... then choose your poison.

IMO the Figo has the best view, driving position and steering feedback.
BTW, you should read this post...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...veability.html

Without adding any comparisons, I can vouch for i20. I often take this car on highway - at times I've covered 700kms a day and still stayed fresh and active. Last Sunday, I returned from Karur to Bangalore - 300+ kms and walked into office and had a normal day. Inside city, the steering feels light - so its damn effortless. Technically, i20 comes with electronic power steer - its light in low speeds (city) and gets steady / rigid in high speeds (highway). Check it once.

1) A lot depends upon drivers. The driving preferences, driving style, etc. matter a lot.

2) I am facing exactly similar thing. I am not that comfortable driving Wagon R ( K10 CNG ) but I am extremely comfortable driving M800 and Baleno. Baleno is very low slung car, but still I feel tireless on long drives. In cities, its a bit difficult to drive Baleno but after a few kms., things are comfortable again.

3) Higher seating position does have its own advantages as compared to lower seating, but I doubt this can lead to fatigue unless the driving position is wrong. Also the shorter hood of tall boys + higher seating position are good for city, but as soon as highway starts, they will not be that confident at high speeds.

4) We have covered approx. 1000 kms. in Baleno in one day and similar trip in Waggie. Over all, if sedate driving is done at around 90-100, Waggie and Baleno are good, but as speeds rise, Baleno comes into its own.

What I am trying to say is that it all depends upon driver and will vary from person to person.

Tiredness while driving can be attributed to
1. Comfortable seating. If the thighs and back are sufficiently supported, then you feel less tired.
2. Climate. Driving with window open at high speeds is more tiring than driving with windows closed and AC on.
3. Having all round visibility helps. If you are constantly moving your neck (and body) to get better view you will tire faster.
4. Soft Suspension is less tiring than hard suspension, but body roll is more tiring.

In a nutshell how tired you feel depends on how comfortable you are.

To get a good idea of which car would tire you less, please drive each contender at least 100km in city and highways. Either get a friend's car, or hire one for a day. That is the only way to find the least tiring vehicle for you, as well as reveal all the quirks which you may not fing on a short test drive.

The WagonR has a super light Electric power steering (versus the Fiesta's heavier hydraulic unit). It's also compact and much lighter in feel. Then, there's the taller seating position and resultant better view of the road ahead. I guess you like light tallboys that are easy to drive. The new WagonR, Ritz or the i10 should be perfect for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by govigov (Post 2186083)
I would feel heavily fatigued inside the i10/santro.

Agreed about the Santro as it has an awkward pedal arrangement. Not sure why you felt the same in the i10?

Thanks all for your inputs
I have been thinking about this for a couple of days and this is what I think
1.) wagon r has a super light steering wheel compared to fiesta's.
Negotiating traffic at dead slow speeds with a fiesta can induce a lot of fatigue.And I had to do this a lot, thanks to Bangalore's brilliant roads.
2.) the better viewing position in the wagon r seems to have been a big plus in city drives.
Now I understand the benefits of a wagon r here in the city, but why even on a highway my fiesta would be more tiring.
Just for the record I am not too old and am just about to turn 30, and I consider my fitness just about average, but I am not a wuss either.
Did the black color of my fiesta have anything to do with it. I had the sxi version which had tilt steering and seat height adjust, so seating position should really not have been a problem, as I could easily adjust it.

Note : I apologize if this doesn't sound too technical, I am sharing this with you as this was a problem I faced consistently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RROD (Post 2186566)
Thanks all for your inputs
Just for the record I am not too old and am just about to turn 30, and I consider my fitness just about average, but I am not a wuss either.
Did the black color of my fiesta have anything to do with it. I had the sxi version which had tilt steering and seat height adjust, so seating position should really not have been a problem, as I could easily adjust it.

Note : I apologize if this doesn't sound too technical, I am sharing this with you as this was a problem I faced consistently.

I think that we equate comfortable driving position with comfortable sofa seating position. That is not so. While driving you cannot slouch and require support in all directions, else we would be bouncing in the seat. That situation is similar to shivering in cold, you tire easily. That is why I feel more comfortable with the seat belt on a contoured seat, I am firmly planted in the seat.