Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 02:58   #1
BHPian

Need help with Toyota Camry key

Folks,

I bought a pre-owned Toyota Camry about 6 months back, till date car is running fine without any issues. However car came only with one key which also has remote on it, I tried checking for other duplicate keys with the person I bought the car. Since this being used by a corporate company they were unable to locate the other keys (this was the reason given to me, not sure how far this is true).

Now, I am left out with only key which is also in bad state (remote keys). I checked with Toyota dealer to get a duplicate key and they are asking for a whooping 10k for the key (with remote), I asked them for a non-remote key thinking it would cost lesser however they don't offer any non-remote keys for Camry. Spending 10k for a duplicate key is meaningless (at least to me).

I have read some where that Toyota car's come with immobilizer and we cannot use any other duplicate key other than Toyota provided ones. I was also told that the key has some codes which ECU would detect at every crank. Now below are my questions and I would need help from guru's to solve it. I am not going to spend 10k for a key that i am very sure, I would need some alternatives.

1. If i make a key from lock smith will it work??
2. If the key code doesn't match what will be the damage to the car?? I mean to the ECU?? Will I end up changing up the entire ignition system (Don't tell i need to)
3. What model or type of key should I tell to lock smith to make one??
4. generally how much it would cost to make this??

I saw a advertisement in today's Hindu classified (Chennai edition), it has specifically mentioned that they do keys for all immobilizer system and Toyota was mentioned there. I am yet to enquire the cost of it, however before that I would want to know whether it would work out??

Please help me

mods - Kindly move the thread if it is in wrong section and merge it if it is found to be a duplicate

Last edited by camchennai : 27th December 2010 at 02:59. Reason: disclaimer
Old 27th December 2010, 09:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help with Toyota Camry key

1. Only if the car doesn't have an immobiliser linked to the ignition system (highly unlikely in a camry).

2. There won't be any damage. You just won't be able to start it. You would only be able to open the doors.

Why don;t you try some online american solutions? E-bay is full of keys that somehow reprogram themselves to adapt to the car.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:52   #3
Team-BHP Support

Check this place out in Mumbai, someone else from Tbhp had used their services and gave it a

Krishnaraj Enterprises - Immobilizer Key Duplication Services for Indian Automobiles
Old 27th December 2010, 12:07   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Camchennai : You'll find a lot of relevant advice in this thread.
Old 28th December 2010, 03:54   #5
BHPian

@akshay1234 - thanks for the link, however they are located in Mumbai and they would need original keys for them to do a duplicate one. I have sent them a mail asking for any branch in Chennai to help me. hoping for the best from them.

@GTO - I went through that thread before starting this, razrman has got his key replaced by Toyota at free of cost since his car was under warranty, however mine is not in warranty so need to look out of for some third party vendor as the OE costs 10K.
Old 28th December 2010, 23:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
1. If i make a key from lock smith will it work??
If Camry comes with an Engine Immobilizer, then a key from a lock smith will NOT work.
Quote:
4. generally how much it would cost to make this??
If I remember it right, a duplicate key with sensors and matching codes will cost you about 2.5k. No remote, just the key. You can carry it in your purse type.

Last edited by dhanushs : 28th December 2010 at 23:29.
Old 29th December 2010, 01:45   #7
BHPian

@akshay1234 - I got a prompt reply from them at 8.00 am in the morning and it seems they do have a branch in Chennai, mail has the mobile number of the Chennai branch manager. I called them up today to inquire, they need the car, original key and would take 3 hours to complete it. Now the shocking news is the price which they quoted, for a non-remote duplicate they are charing INR 6000 and he said a remote key would be more expense. I got shocked and don't know how to react to him and said I will call them back.

Now this seems to be as costly as original Toyota :(

@dhanushs - 2.5k seems to be very reasonable for a non-remote key and I don't mind shelling it, can you re-collect and get me any contact??
Old 29th December 2010, 03:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@dhanushs - 2.5k seems to be very reasonable for a non-remote key and I don't mind shelling it, can you re-collect and get me any contact??
Well, the shop is in Kerala and I'm not sure if they have a branch in Chennai. Will digg and let you know though.
Old 29th December 2010, 20:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

camchennai: Lucky for you, I got that guy's number.

Asked him about Camry's duplicate keys and the procedure. I'm a novice in this field, but then, he mentioned that every key has an IC. The Innova comes with ID 42 IC, and he's not sure about Camry's. If its ID 42 then you don't need the car for making duplicate keys. But, if its ID 46, its a bit complicated and he will need the car. Price is 3000Rs.

PM me for his number.

Last edited by dhanushs : 29th December 2010 at 20:37.
Old 29th December 2010, 21:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@camchennai- I am no guru but in my opinion, do buy the key from Toyota at 10K. You need a back-up and as you already said, your existing key is in bad shape. Trying to save these pennies for a car that costs 25 lac+ doesn't make sense. If the locksmith or 'unofficial' electronic key guy screws up the car, you will be left high and dry. Treat it as an investment and bite the bullet, is my advice.
Old 12th February 2011, 01:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@akshay1234 - I got a prompt reply from them at 8.00 am in the morning and it seems they do have a branch in Chennai, mail has the mobile number of the Chennai branch manager. I called them up today to inquire, they need the car, original key and would take 3 hours to complete it. Now the shocking news is the price which they quoted, for a non-remote duplicate they are charing INR 6000 and he said a remote key would be more expense. I got shocked and don't know how to react to him and said I will call them back.
I got a spare key made at asharkeyhub Dadar Mumbai for my Corolla - a simple 10 minute job to program and cut the key ; your Camry key can also be made with only the key(no need to take the car) - is your Camry a pre-2006 model?

Last edited by vigsom : 12th February 2011 at 01:38.
Old 12th February 2011, 07:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about the Camry's immobiliser system, but if it is a single code immobiliser the making of a duplicate key should be possible in a few hours. And because such a thing is as rare in India as it is, you would need to shell out a pretty decent amount of money.

Though, as far as my understanding of the technology goes, if the system utilises a rolling code immobiliser then I dont think a duplicate key is possible from anyone other than Toyota themselves. These kind of systems do come with most European cars at least, like VW, Merc, BMW, FIAT etc.

In these cars if the original key FOB is lost or damaged, a particular code has to be input into the ECU by the service personnel to temporarily disable the immobiliser to enable you to use the car with a normal key, till a replacement key can be brought out matching your particular car from the manufacturer's base, which in the case of such keys is just one for the whole world.

Such a code can theoretically be broken, but that would require a brute force method of breaking the rolling code generation method but that would take thousand of cranks to the engine and a lot more than 3 hours.

In case it is a simple single code system, the code can be learnt in a couple of minutes if you have the right kind of equipment.

My suggestion to you is that, go to a lock-smith and get the key duplicated. Use the car with the primary key. In case this gets stolen, damaged etc what you can do is use your duplicate key to open the car and ask the service station people to disable the immobiliser system till they can get a replacement from Toyota, Japan. Spend the extra money on the new key fob only if you have to.
Old 12th February 2011, 08:23   #13
BHPian

camchennai - my thoughts are as below:

I am more worried about you being handed over only 1 key for your car, I assume the car should have come with total of 3 keys (at least my honda city has 3 total keys). With all the incidents of car thefts etc, and your other key(s) are not with you (somewhere else) I would suggest - go an extra more mile and change all the lock-key system along with brand new key pairs even though it might cost you more. It is better be safe than sorry next time.

Regarding your key in question, and if you are not going with the above suggestion then get the duplicate key from Toyota with the remote option since your current remote is also not in a good shape and you will face issues sooner or later. Additionally - go to a local keymaker and ask him to make a duplicate for you. It might cost few 100 rs and this can be used in emergency situations (mainly to open the doors etc).

Or if your only concern is cost - then why not go for a new Autocop full kit including remotes - it might just cost 3500 Rs max, additionally go with the keymaker duplicate key for emergency situations.

narayanang76
Old 12th February 2011, 10:49   #14
BHPian

@vigsom - I do have a dealer here in Chennai who deals with spare key however his charges are exorbitant and costs more than what dealer quotes. Yes mine is pre 2006 model.

@narayanang76 - You are right, Toyota cars comes with 3 keys. In my case I got only 1 key as the car was owned by a corporate and they are not sure with who the key is. I am not sure changing the entire lock system would be economically feasible as it would cost anything more than 20K.

Duplicate key from local key maker is ruled as it would help only in opening and closing the car, I cannot start the car with the local key. So it makes no sense for me to make a duplicate key with local key maker as the purpose is to drive and not just to open and close it.

Full Autpocop kit seems to be a good idea and I would need to check with auto guy on how it work with factory fit immobilizer system which has its own key less entry.

I just want to update all that after frequent mails to TKM, they have agreed to make a duplicate key without remote and it costs comes to 3k which sound very reasonable and lesser than after market locksmith. They would need 10 days TAT and I have to give them a requisition letter with copy of my RC book. I am going to do that today.

Thanks to all members who posted in this thread with their valuable suggestion.
Old 12th February 2011, 13:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Duplicate key from local key maker is ruled as it would help only in opening and closing the car, I cannot start the car with the local key.
The number I gave you, he programmes keys to suit the immobilizer. You can start the car, and use it as a regular key.

Quote:
I just want to update all that after frequent mails to TKM, they have agreed to make a duplicate key without remote and it costs comes to 3k which sound very reasonable and lesser than after market locksmith.
Glad to know that TKM will provide a Key without remote. Better option.

Most Viewed