Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you feel that a car feels more responsive while driving at night?
Yes, the car definitely feels quicker at night 34 85.00%
No dude, you are imagining things. 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 22:01   #61
BHPian

re: Ah, winter time. Engines are feeling better due to cooler air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
No doubt, engine feels smoother and rev-happy but only after the engine temp reaches the working temp range.
In my carb Zen, the same is an uphill task in the morning. In extremely chilly weather, one has to ensure a lot of throttle for a min or two to ensure that the engine does not die. :(
Hey exactly the same with my carb zen except that its even worse. I can keep on cranking but my car wouldn't start. I really need to pump accelerator to get it to rev or it'll die. Even when it has warmed up it feels sluggish. My FE has dropped to 12-13 in winter compared to 16-17 I was getting earlier.
Old 1st January 2011, 03:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Engines perform better in colder weather. Primary reason : The density of cool air is a lot more than hot air. Thus, you end up with a superior burn, which results in better performance & efficiency.

Over the winter season, I've noticed a distinctly sharper throttle (compared to the harsh summers), the engine seems smoother and revv-happier. This effect is even more pronounced with diesels (especially the Jeep). It is around this premise that the cold-air-intake industry exists, and whatever the season, your engine will feel sharper at night than at noon.

Are you feeling it?
Not where I live. Its takes 20 minutes for the engine to warm up when the outside temp is 35 degrees below zero. I would be very happy if I can make 200 kms in 50 lites of petrol in winter. In summer its a diffrent story, the engine runs smoother and I can easily make 300+ in one fuel tank.
Old 1st January 2011, 12:59   #63
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2011 at 15:17.
ZeRo© is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd January 2011, 15:35   #64
BHPian

Hi,

My figo diesel doesn't have any temperature gauge of any sort or any blue colored indication light which goes out when the engine has warmed up. And to top it all north india winter season particularly from Dec 25th till Jan 20th is quite harsh for the cars. I wanted to know how to make out when the car engine has heated up properly and is ready to move.
Old 2nd January 2011, 15:54   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Hi,

My figo diesel doesn't have any temperature gauge of any sort or any blue colored indication light which goes out when the engine has warmed up. And to top it all north india winter season particularly from Dec 25th till Jan 20th is quite harsh for the cars. I wanted to know how to make out when the car engine has heated up properly and is ready to move.

Option one if feasible. Get a temp gauge fitted. Option Two - drive not above 4--50 km/hr for the first 3-4 kms, that should get the car into operating temperature zone. Just simply avoid hard acceleration & things should be just fine.

I am surprised that there is NO temp gauge on the Figo !!

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2011, 15:57   #66
BHPian

Yes, the car does feel smoother in winters!

So keeping in view the run-in period involved with new cars, are winters the best period to buy new cars ?

Last edited by breezydrive : 2nd January 2011 at 16:00.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:24   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Yes, the car does feel smoother in winters!

So keeping in view the run-in period involved with new cars, are winters the best period to buy new cars ?
Wouldn't really matter much.

The 'run-in' on a new engine is to reduce the compliances of metal components.

I feel the cold weather would be detrimental to this, as in the mornings, the metal will be very cold and thus the fits would be tighter. This will lead to more than necessary metal rubbing and wear.

Experts, please comment
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:53   #68
BHPian

My Pulsar 200 as well. In the chilly, Delhi morning, I took her out for a spin and damn she was so smooth and felt less strained.
Old 2nd January 2011, 21:14   #69
SAS
BHPian

Well, for us in Mumbai, we can definitely feel the positive effects, unlike those in Delhi and other colder parts of India.

IMHO, in addition to the dense air, we can also attribute better performance to the dry air since humidity levels are lower than that in summer and monsoons. Just like in Mumbai, although in monsoons the temperature dips, the performance does not improve because of the higher humidity.
Old 2nd January 2011, 22:32   #70
BANNED

My ford ikon 1.6 with Sequential LPG kit is giving far better throttle response and runs very smooth now..
Old 2nd January 2011, 23:03   #71
BHPian

@Khoj: Thanks for the valuable suggestion. Would definitely employ it for cold starts on my Carb Zen (only if I am able to remember the same ). Apart from this niggle, the vehicle is a class in itself to drive, isn't it!!
@needmorebhp: try Khoj's method for cold starts on your ride.
Old 2nd January 2011, 23:07   #72
Team-BHP Support

Finally my Cold Air Intake is actually getting some cold air. Power seems to be improved since the traction control lights up much more now.

How about dyno runs again GTO? What say?
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:51   #73
BHPian

Yea.. I felt it yesterday. Got around 18+ kmpl in my i10 kappa on a 350km trip back to Chennai from Bangalore( i use to get around 15). The engine definitely felt less strained and yea, it was super chill outside!
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:21   #74
BHPian

Did a Pune trip, a total of 309 Kms both ways with 35 kms city driving, using tank full method was able to achieve 309 kms in 15.87 litres of petrol that is an average of 19.47 with 20 % Ac. Speed maintained between 80 - 100. Definitely engine feels less stressed and fun to drive during winters.

Edit- Hyundai Santro with 4 passengers and luggage

Last edited by driving_smartly : 3rd January 2011 at 19:23.
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:47   #75
mgh
BHPian

this calculator gives effect of atmospheric pressure, humidity and temperature on performance

Engine Tuning Calculator - using absolute pressure

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks