Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 19:53   #1
BHPian

Ride Comfort - Wheelbase and Seating Position

I and my friend were discussing ride comfort. We all know that a lot of factor go into ride comfort like suspension. However, we were discussing the wheelbase and seating position.

My friend was insisting that irrespective of wheelbase, the position of seating with respect to wheel position makes a lot of difference. We both agreed that a longer wheelbase gives more comfort but the seating position should be as far away from both the wheels. Is this true? what are your thoughts?

Does this mean Sedans give more comfort compared to hatchbacks? Also, does this mean front seats are more comfortable than rear seat as I see that even in longer sedans the rear seat is near the wheels and it is the front seats which are further from the wheels? Which sedans in India have more front seat comfort and which ones have more rear seat comfort?
Old 28th December 2010, 23:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ride Comfort - Wheelbase and Seating Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
.. but the seating position should be as far away from both the wheels. Is this true?

Also, does this mean front seats are more comfortable than rear seat
I don't think so. Our old Amby's rear seats are extremely comfy. Far, far better than its front seats(bucket).

In my Ford IKON too, I find the rear seats more comfortable than the front.

Seating comfort not only depends on suspension, wheel base and distance from wheels. Design of seats(optimum support), fabric used, leg/head/shoulder space and the ergonomics also affect comfort a lot. Sometimes you compromise one parameter to gain more on the other.

That way, a well designed hatch should beat a poorly designed sedan on comfort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks