Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 00:30   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Art of taking Speed Breakers(humps) without scraping the belly.

Speed Breakers - A reality we Indians, are forced to face. How do we tackle them?.

Recently, I had to travel a bit in my friends Lancer, and with 5 people on board, I noticed that the car scraped almost all the speed breakers available.
The age old technique of approaching the speed breaker at an angle did show a difference, but as we were not in a position to try it out without the approach angle we could not be sure if it 'did' make a difference.

So.. what exactly is the correct method of approaching/getting through a speed breaker without scraping the underbelly?.

I for one, have found the 'angled' approach effective on some occasions. Meaning, front right or left tire takes it 1st, and then the other front tire, and then the other tires follow.

Are there any other methods?. Are they different for different cars?. Like, an average GC and max GC varies?.

Experts please share your thoughts.

@Mods, on searching I did not find a dedicated thread, and hence this one. Please feel free to move/merge to appropriate section/thread.

Last edited by dhanushs : 29th December 2010 at 00:32.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 09:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Art of taking Speed Breakers(humps) without scraping the belly.

My way of dealing with these scrapy speedbreakers is I let the vehicle speed remain and apply breaks just before the speed breaker and then release the breaks and let it roll over the speed breakers with the momentum it carries.

The key here is you should apply breaks just before the speed breaker not to dead slow speed. The vehicle should have enough momentum/speed to roll over the speed breakers.

By this method I manage to dodge 90% of speed breakers without scraping which I would have anyway scraped if I was dead slow.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 10:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
The key here is you should apply breaks just before the speed breaker not to dead slow speed. The vehicle should have enough momentum/speed to roll over the speed breakers.

By this method I manage to dodge 90% of speed breakers without scraping which I would have anyway scraped if I was dead slow.
I don't think this is true.
If you hit a speed breaker dead slow , then I don't think you can avoid hitting the same speed breaker at any speed faster than dead slow ...

Logic: when you are traveling faster and hit a hump the momentum of the car against the obstruction pushes the body closer to the ground, than when you are dead slow.

here I am talking about the Bangalore style speed breakers which are a wide with a steep climb and drop around a foot and a half from start to end of the speed breaker, and to best experience this the car has to be loaded with 4-5 people.

Last edited by Fillmore : 29th December 2010 at 10:10.
Fillmore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 10:14   #4
BHPian

Dhanushs-I follow the method adopted by you and i find it the most effective one. Please do not suddenly jam breaks at a Hump-you will have your Boot where your rear seats should be!!! i have seen it a No. of times
Old 29th December 2010, 10:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

RemingtonSteele ; this works if you are driving down fast to a dip.

These are from my experience; DONT take it as a global rule or so.
For SUV, just accelerate more
For Bullet, stand on foot peg.

Last edited by jkdas : 29th December 2010 at 10:45.
jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 10:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

I adopt what is called one wheel at a time approach same as the one detailed by dhanushS. take the car at an angle one wheel at a time over the hump and you will make it without hurting the car underbelly. Again it all depends on the car. A Car like City or Civic will scrape (What ever method you adopt) at some of our speedbreakers which are very unscientifically designed.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 10:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I don't think this is true.
If you hit a speed breaker dead slow , then I don't think you can avoid hitting the same speed breaker at any speed faster than dead slow ...
I have experienced it working for me 90% of the times. I am not sure what kind of speed breakers Bangalore has, but this method works very well and effectively when there are multiple humps kind of speed breakers (multiple rows of speed breakers).
Other than this method, for single large humps (may be Bangalore kinds) the angle approach is the only best way to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
RemingtonSteele ; this works if you are driving down fast to a dip.
I agree, rather I make sure this is thats the way it is on known roads/speed breakers.

Finally the disclaimer, speed breakers come in different shapes and sizes (curtsey various roads dept. agencies in various geographies), so one can know different the approaches to deal with it and apply the best what suits to your conditions, bottom line is don't get you bottom scraped

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 29th December 2010 at 11:03.
Old 29th December 2010, 11:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Though one wheel at a time is tried and tested but I seldom get the luxury of doing so in a crowded area. I just have to close my eyes and hope and pray for my Lancer's skirts. With full load, I don't expect anything. Another method is to approach the breakers as slowly as possibly to make minimal suspension activity.
Old 29th December 2010, 11:22   #9
BHPian

Hey,

I guess to take one wheel at a time is the best bet, but as discussed here, we seldom get to do that. The speed breakers where I live are useless humps on the roads as you already have enough potholes to limit the speed

Jokes apart, I try to take it slow and sweet and hope for the best!!
Old 29th December 2010, 11:25   #10
BHPian

Would increasing the tyre pressure by a few psi help? Especially when the car is fully loaded?
Old 29th December 2010, 11:26   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The best way is indeed, the angled approach. Tackle the speedbreaker one wheel at a time.

Picture from Timeline studios:
Name:  tiltapproach.png
Views: 70968
Size:  23.1 KB

Also, if you drive a car with over 50,000 kms on the clock, check the suspension; it might have gone soft & sagging.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 11:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

^^ Aren't you causing unnecessary inconvenience to fellow road users by turning your car to 45 degrees, just to tackle a speed breaker ?

Is the approach really practical for city driving ?

- Our govt should insist on some speed breaker certifications for cars, just like ARAI certifications.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 11:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

+1
The entry angle should be 45 degrees to the speed-breaker.
Old 29th December 2010, 11:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Instead of car at 45 degrees, I wish all the speed breakers are at 45 degrees to the road.
msdivy is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 12:18   #15
BANNED

I do not go 45 degrees but more like 30 degrees or so. Also, many speed breakers are local jobs and may not be equally high. Also, many tend to get reduced in parts by time and usage. So find the lowest part. Also, often you will find the sides not given the treatment. So try and drive from the side.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks