Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 14:18   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: only Un-lock or phsically open the doors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Which type ? Physically opening the door, or just using the remote to un-lock the doors ?

FYI, my Sumo has a factory fitted remote + engine immoblizer. Immobilizer kicks in after a preset period of using the remote to unlock the doors. The door itself does not have to be opened physcially. The remote does not automatically lock the doors (in situations where the doors are unlocked but the doors are not opened).
Physical door opening
Old 20th March 2011, 21:17   #62
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari 2.2 stolen this morning (DL3C A Y 4878) [immobilizer beaten?!]

here is an update the car is untraceable and the insurance has paid up, the immobilizer in a hyundai and a tata car can be disabled in under 10 seconds by a knowledgeable theif even if the code has been changed, and the key does not need to be duplicated., i will not share the details here

DO NOT RELY ON THE IMMOBILIZER get a GEAR LOCK
Old 20th March 2011, 22:42   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari 2.2 stolen this morning (DL3C A Y 4878) [immobilizer beaten?!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
here is an update the car is untraceable and the insurance has paid up, the immobilizer in a hyundai and a tata car can be disabled in under 10 seconds by a knowledgeable theif even if the code has been changed, and the key does not need to be duplicated., i will not share the details here
DO NOT RELY ON THE IMMOBILIZER get a GEAR LOCK
whatcanthisbe - Sad to read the happening.I am sure a company like Tata Motors needs to wake up from its slumber and take notice. If these immobilisers are a farce then why do we need to pay such huge premiums for these devices? We should then rely more on time tested devices like steering and gear locks.
Tata needs to introspect. This kind of slip-shod technology by Tata needs all the adverse publicity so that innocents are not fooled into thinking that their motor vehicle is safely parked, when they blissfully go away leaving the machine behind !
Old 13th May 2011, 22:42   #64
BHPian

Tata Safari - Stolen too easily. How?

The conduct My close friend took his year old black Safari LX (CH01 AC 2452) to Mumbai to visit his brother. He had parked the vehicle inside the building compound at 11.30am on 12 May. The same night at 02.30am some persons coolly entered the vehicle & drove off. There was no alarm & they entered the vehicle with a key (as seen by the watchman).
There's no iota of doubt that some insider was involved (watchmen, maintenance persons etc.). The Police said that SUVs are usually taken to Nepal via UP/Bihar & there's a 10% chance of getting the Safari back.

Some questions

1. The vehicle was fitted with an anti theft alarm system, so how was the system surpassed?
2. The keys, both original & duplicate were with the owner so which keys did the thugs use to open the car, without setting off the alarm? Are such 'master keys' in existence?

I know that this is an oft discussed topic but car lovers can understand the pain that one feels on losing a prized possession to such thugs. The insurance can never cover the memories that one shares with the vehicle.

So can we brainstorm & come down to the basic (not necessarily expensive) accessories required to safeguard our vehicles?

Also I would be grateful for any information regarding the Safari
Old 13th May 2011, 22:51   #65
BHPian

Re: Safari - Unique theft

A similar case happened with one of my friend. He had a red getz. He reached home at 2.30am parked his car outside his shop and at 4.30am when his guy came to wash his car the car was not there. This car was fitted with an autocop and that car could be easily noticed. Red getz with lenso alloys and few stickers here and there. It also had a magnaflow exhaust. And the biggest thing that his watchman always used to sit next to the car but used to sleep at night as usual. This happened 3 years ago and the cops still havent traced it yet.
Old 14th May 2011, 01:51   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to know about the theft.

I'm not an expert in terms of locking systems. But seen some of the videos in you-tube. Thief used to break the indicators / parking lights (which flickers when the security alarm energizes) & short circuit the wires and then break the locks / glass to open the door. When the security system energizes, the fuse gets blown as indicator wires were shorted.

I am not sure to what extent this is possible.
Old 14th May 2011, 02:01   #67
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad and I hope these thieves are caught soon and get severely punished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Sad to know about the theft.

I'm not an expert in terms of locking systems. But seen some of the videos in you-tube. Thief used to break the indicators / parking lights (which flickers when the security alarm energizes) & short circuit the wires and then break the locks / glass to open the door. When the security system energizes, the fuse gets blown as indicator wires were shorted.

I am not sure to what extent this is possible.
I read about the exact same thing in one of the post by another TBHPian (raj or someone) whose Scorpio was attempted to be stolen(but they couldn't due to the new iCats kind of system). So if this is the case then can't the installers not connect the Indicator lights to the security alarm system? The side indicator lights are too easy to remove and short circuit.
Old 14th May 2011, 04:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Very sad to hear that, I hope he is able to reocevr his Safari.

As to how & why it got stolen so easily, please read This Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 06:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Team,

Doesn't the safari come with immobilizer, similar to Maruti Cars ?

Here is an excerpt of how the technology works.

Maruti cars are equipped with iCAT - Intelligent Computerized Anti-theft System - essentially a device which communicates with the ECU (electronic Control Unit) of the car to disable the ignition and render the car immobilized if you fail to use the factory supplied keys. Your car keys use a RFID (Radio Frequency Identification Device) which transmits a unique factory assigned code to the key fob of the car which in turn, enables the ECU. Any other key or locally made key will not have the RFID and the unique code which will disable the ECU.

I presume similar technology is used by all the car manufacturers.

I would like to know more about the master keys mentioned in the opening post. Do such keys exist ?, if so how would thieves manage to get them ?
Old 14th May 2011, 09:29   #70
Team-BHP Support

Sigh! Yet another theft, but sad ending.

Unfortunately, thieves are always managing to be a step ahead the policing devices.

For starters, one SHOULD have a gear-lock in place and engage it EVERY time one parks the vehicle; be it the office block, home or public roads.

This is just to delay the process; doubt gear locks can theft altogether.

Manufacturers should come up with fool proof GPS devices really soon. I wouldn't mind paying a premium for it at all.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 11:05   #71
BANNED

Sorry to hear the plight of the OP.

I use the Umbrella handle steering lock everytime I park my Gypsy. I hope that is as safe as a gear lock.

--Ragul
Old 14th May 2011, 11:36   #72
BANNED

Like someone said, they would have short circuited an indicator and disconnected the wire to the siren by pulling it out using a wire or a long hook from beneath the front wheel well, then would have made a duplicate key from the passenger/bootlid side and opened the vehicle before driving off.

Sad to hear about the loss but I guess it is time all manufacturers provided built in chips with the key, a GPS tracking system and all owners installed as many deterrents as possible like gear and steering locks.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 01:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

how would short circuiting help steal a car with immobilizer? the engine shouldn't start unless it can detect the right key in the car.
Old 16th May 2011, 07:39   #74
BHPian

The Safari comes with an old fashioned regular key which is pretty easy to make with a Minda remote locking and imobilizer. I learnt that the hard way when I lost my key set visiting Delhi and other set being in Jaipur. Called the local key guy and a Minda executive who came and opened the car in 5 mins and also made a new remote. They said that the 2.2 has a better locking system but still they managed to unlock mine in 5 mins. I've been looking at a better security system since then and can't find one.

Does anyone know any other options?

Cheers
Old 16th May 2011, 09:38   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharsethi View Post
The Safari comes with an old fashioned regular key which is pretty easy to make with a Minda remote locking and imobilizer. I learnt that the hard way when I lost my key set visiting Delhi and other set being in Jaipur. Called the local key guy and a Minda executive who came and opened the car in 5 mins and also made a new remote. They said that the 2.2 has a better locking system but still they managed to unlock mine in 5 mins. I've been looking at a better security system since then and can't find one.

Does anyone know any other options?

Cheers
1. Check out this link. It is a GPS/GPRS based tracking system. It may answer your queries.
automatic vehicle location,automobile gps tracking,car gps systems,car tracking system,car tracking systems,cheap vehicle tracking,covert gps tracking,fleet gps,fleet management,fleet management companies,fleet management company
2. The company's contact no is 9958256908. Based in Pune & New Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks