Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 20:21   #1
BHPian

Fiat Linea air-con conks off right after delivery

To the mods: I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place. Please do move this thread to wherever it should actually be.

We took delivery of our new Fiat Linea Emotion MJD on Monday. Though the promised time of delivery was 3 pm, delivery was delayed by 2 hours. Soon after driving out, we filled up from the pump right next to the dealer's. On restarting the car, we discovered that the AC blower had stopped working. Took the car back to the dealer immediately, but because the service personnel had left, we were asked to return the next morning. On our way home - about 3 kms from the dealer's - the AC blower was found to be working intermittently, going on and off on its own. The same persisted the next morning too, when we took the car for puja to the nearby temples.
We made the following observations:
- The blower seemed to go off by itself sometimes. But on other occasions, it goes off while using the horn or engaging the clutch.
- The AC was cooling very effectively whenever the blower was working. Nothing seemed amiss with the compressor.
- The blower stays off for variable periods of time. It then turns on by itself.
- The blower may or may not work when the ACC is initially turned on.
- The blower speed as indicated on the display does on change when the blower stops functioning.

Took the car back to the dealer at 9:30 am and was told that it should be ready by 12 or 1, at the latest. They said they believed it to be a clogged filter (in a new car?! ).

When the car was not returned by 2, dad called up the Assistant Sales Manager who had attended to us in the morn. The response was quite impolite. He spoke as if he were doing us a favour, getting the issue sorted out. We then called up Fiat's customer service number, and the lady who picked up, though she was polite, was helpless. Moreover, we had left all the car's documents in the glove box, and also hadn't received a receipt when the car was taken in, so we didn't know the chasis number at that particular moment. We also posted a complaint on Fiat India's website. Anyway, neither the call nor the complaint has been followed up by Fiat India so far. So much for customer service!

The car wasn't returned even by 5, and we made another call, this time to the sales executive who we had dealt with. He said the car has been repaired, and he'll bring it to our house immediately. 5:30 and he still hadn't come. (It is only a five minute drive). Called him again, and this time he said he was on his way. We waited another half hour before taking an auto to the dealer's (Our other car also had developed a small issue the same day. Murphy's Law?)
At the dealer's dad gave the Assistant Sales Manager a real dressing down for his earlier response over the phone.
We were led to the chief's cabin, where the showroon owner apologized to us, and we were introduced to the Fiat sales head, who was also very apologetic for the bitter experience.

The car was returned, with the issue sorted out. It has spent its entire first day of ownership at the workshop.

Yesterday, the sales head and our sales executive came to our house and apologized again for the trouble.

Over the last two days (yesterday, and until 3 pm today), the ACC functioned fine. I was driving back home from college, when the problem resurfaced. Had driven for about 100 kms after it was returned from the workshop. Took the car back to the dealer, and this time, I'm glad to say the response was more befitting. They attended to the car immediately, and the Service Manager has assured us the needful will be done and that the car will be returned to us by noon tomorrow.
However, we are now aware of a few things:
- The technicians are presently clueless about what the issue is.
- The ECU apparently does not return any error.
- The dealer is awaiting advice from Fiat before starting repairs.

This is how the matter presently stands.
Need advice on what needs to be done next.
Should we take up the issue directly with Fiat? If so, whom should we contact?
Old 6th January 2011, 20:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea AC Issue. From Day 1 - Advice Needed!

Congrats on your new Linea!. Sorry to hear the hardship you went through on the first day of ownership.

From the description of the problem, it looks like an issue with one of the following:
1. Defective control module of the climate control.
2. A loose contact, possibly from the fuse box. (most likely)

I don't think TASS would be competent to handle this, though a good electrician can troubleshoot the issue. They are doing the right thing by getting support from FIAT.

Keep posted.

Regards,
Bejoy
Old 6th January 2011, 21:55   #3
BHPian

Congratulations on owning the beauty!

You should immediately shoot a mail to mangesh.kodalkar@fiapl.com,service@fiapl.com

I am sure that you will get over the initial bad experience and enjoy the pleasure of driving this awesome machine for a very long time to come
Old 6th January 2011, 22:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Who is this dealership and where is it?

Attrition levels of capable technicians at all vehicle dealerships are at an all time high due to lot of brands and their opening of centres even in smaller towns.

Keep us posted of the developments.
Old 6th January 2011, 23:19   #5
BHPian

We sorry to know about the problems you are facing with your Linea. Did you show it with Hyson Motors, Trichur. That works manager in Hyson is a total useless I feel. I have never seen him walking in the shop floor. But I very much feel that you should send mail to Mangesh and see what he has to say. I feel this should be a minor problem that Hyson guys are unable to diagnose. I would suggest you to wait for reply from FIAT and also post this in their Customer care on the website. May be post it a couple of times again and again.
I am abroad now and would come home next week. As soon as I arrive I shall send u a PM & we can meet.
Old 7th January 2011, 06:47   #6
BHPian

Thank you for the response, everyone.
As advised, I have sent emails to Mr Mangesh Kodalkar (mangesh.kodalkar@fiapl.com,service@fiapl.com).
Will keep you posted on the developments.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:15   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Linea air-con conks off right after delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Soon after driving out, we filled up from the pump right next to the dealer's. On restarting the car, we discovered that the AC blower had stopped working.
Fiat did a "118NE" on you. In March 1992, we drove out of Bombay Cycle & Motors in our shining white 118NE. While waiting for a U-turn at the signal next to the showroom, the air-con conked off . Drove back to BCMA and the gate was closed. Watchman says "Lunchtime, you will have to wait".

Speak to no other than Fiat the company, tell them in no uncertain terms that you will NOT accept an unreliable new car and they had better do everything they can to make up. Buying a new car is a special experience, problems can ruin it. On the one hand, Fiat is hardly selling any cars. And on the other, they aren't able to produce reliable, niggle-free cars for the few customers who are buying Fiats! What goes first? The chicken or the egg?

I hope this matter is sorted out to your satisfaction. And yes, do take that extended warranty coverage too. A must with all European cars.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

The AIRCON problems have become known issues with lineas and puntos and technicians at TASS are ill equipped to solve it. Whats the root cause?
Old 7th January 2011, 15:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your car. Hope the AC issue will be sorted out. Sometimes technicians will be clueless about strange problems, cant blame them !!

Last edited by srishiva : 7th January 2011 at 15:43.
Old 7th January 2011, 18:43   #10
BHPian

I've got the car back with the issue resolved, hopefully permanently.

The trouble apparently was a faulty relay, a pin of which was misaligned. This was intermittently cutting of power supply to the blowers.
Mr. Sreekant, the showroom manager called me up at 10 in the morn and said the issue had been taken care of, and that they would return the car after running some more checks to confirm that the trouble was over. They did offer to bring the car over to my college (about 15 kms away) if I so wished, but I felt it'd be better if I went to the dealer to fetch it.
Got there by 4, and the car had been kept ready. The service personnel who had attended to the car took me on a short drive to assure me that the problem was indeed over.
Also, my email to Mr. Mangesh Kodalkar did elicit a prompt reply, assuring me that they were in touch with the dealer, Hyson Motors Thrissur, and that the needful was being done.

Anyway, as they say, all is well that ends well. We are hoping to put this initial niggle behind us, and enjoy the times to come with the car.

Fiat sales are on a downward spiral, and I believe they should be doing at least the following to improve their brand image:
- Step up their quality control
- Offer better service support, and if possible open Fiat-only dealerships

Thank you again, everyone, for your concern and advice.
GTO, we have opted for the 50 month warranty package. But looking at Fiat's sales figures, one does wonder if they are going to survive that long.
Old 7th January 2011, 22:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
I've got the car back with the issue resolved, hopefully permanently.

The trouble apparently was a faulty relay, a pin of which was misaligned. This was intermittently cutting of power supply to the blowers.
What a relief??? Like I said yesterday, it could be some minor problem only and anyway it is sorted out now. Very nice to know that there was response from Mr.Mangesh and that should have moved things quickly. Even I had once send mail to top brass in FIAT for some issue and the showroom was later showing a totally different dealing afterwards.
So where are you from Thrissur and which college were you mentioning earlier. I m from Chettupuzha, Trichur (Near Ayanthole).
Old 7th January 2011, 22:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The AIRCON problems have become known issues with lineas and puntos and technicians at TASS are ill equipped to solve it. Whats the root cause?
Same here boss our Linea six months old had problems relating AC, it never used to cool as good as honda which we are owning and the dealer Concord Motors was not good at explaing the method to adjust the cooling,flow of air,directions of flow , and too many adjustments in AC.
In the end they asked us to bring the car to their workshop so that they can se if anything is wrong in the AC.Nowadays we use the AC adjustments to basik and not using all those elaborated adjustments of flow under seats, backside vent etc etc.
These jokers at FIAT dont know much about their own product,we have started living with whatever basik adj,told to us.

Last edited by Amartya : 8th January 2011 at 01:54. Reason: Fixed quoted post.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have no idea on what the problem could be, but things cropping up on day 1, is very disheartening and really scares the hell out of you

One a day when you should be driving around with an equatorial smile, the last thing you want is a visit back to the garage

Anyways, pray the problem is over now. Enjoy it as much as you can
Old 8th January 2011, 00:22   #14
BHPian

one-77 - Congrats on your new Linea and sorry to hear AC conking off on day 1. I know how it would have been to you when a newly purchased car failing in between.

Its high time Fiat concentrates on these niggles if they think serious about growing in India.

Good this has been resolved now, please post us with your ownership report.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fiat did a "118NE" on you. In March 1992, we drove out of Bombay Cycle & Motors in our shining white 118NE. While waiting for a U-turn at the signal next to the showroom, the air-con conked off . Drove back to BCMA and the gate was closed. Watchman says "Lunchtime, you will have to wait".

Speak to no other than Fiat the company, tell them in no uncertain terms that you will NOT accept an unreliable new car and they had better do everything they can to make up. Buying a new car is a special experience, problems can ruin it. On the one hand, Fiat is hardly selling any cars. And on the other, they aren't able to produce reliable, niggle-free cars for the few customers who are buying Fiats! What goes first? The chicken or the egg?

I hope this matter is sorted out to your satisfaction. And yes, do take that extended warranty coverage too. A must with all European cars.
Doesn't the Linea share most of its components including the aircon with the manza? So this should have been a easy fix for the tata based on their knowledge on the manza

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks