Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 00:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Starting issues with my Estilo.

I did go thro the starting issues of various people mine seems to be a peculiar problem.

Few days back I had issues with my car, which would start correctly when started from idle, but when its started in between the drive (for e.g. starting after the signal goes Green) then it was stammering to start.
But everytime it was started after around half an hour idling it always was good.

But from today the car woefully just refuses to start. This is really saddening. Cos I am helpless I need to know if I should approach a battery professional or a service center, additionally since the car is not starting at all I am not sure how I will be taking the car to the service center :'(.

My question:
1. How do I confirm if the problem is with the battery power or with the ignition coil.
2. Is the battery professional good enough to judge if the problem is with ignition coil or battery? Cos I have a battery shop near my house.
3. How can I make sure that the battery professional doesnt take me for a ride and sell me a battery when the prob might actually be with the ignition coil.
4. Does less petrol also cause such starting issues. (as its almost near red mark) I am not able to take my car to fill the petrol even.

Please help:

Few vital stats about my car:
Model year - 2007
Version - Zen Estilo Vxi
Kms rum - around 40000 kms
Usage - Used only during the weekends atleast thrice in a month, with around 1000 kms per month.
Old 10th January 2011, 00:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Starting issues with my Estilo.

What made you think the starting issue is due to ignition coil?.

... However, I think its a battery problem, and it can be easily diagnosed by your friendly neighborhood battery shop.

Well, as a first step, I would suggest to remove your battery take it to the nearby shop and ask him to charge it completely. If there is a battery problem he can diagnose it. This should work.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
What made you think the starting issue is due to ignition coil?.

... However, I think its a battery problem, and it can be easily diagnosed by your friendly neighborhood battery shop.

Well, as a first step, I would suggest to remove your battery take it to the nearby shop and ask him to charge it completely. If there is a battery problem he can diagnose it. This should work.
hi Dhanishs,

Thanks for the suggestion, the reason I was thinking it was with ignition coil is because, its started creating problem all of a sudden.
I mean till yday the car was starting with the first time cranking itself, anyway thanks for the suggestion, will remove the battery and get it checked.

Can we charge this battery itself, is that possible. ??
Old 10th January 2011, 11:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
hi Dhanishs,

Thanks for the suggestion, the reason I was thinking it was with ignition coil is because, its started creating problem all of a sudden.
I mean till yday the car was starting with the first time cranking itself, anyway thanks for the suggestion, will remove the battery and get it checked.

xingamazon, yes the battery shop guys can charge the battery itself. But before that ask them to check the volts. If the car was used a day or two before, it should be fully charged unless there is a problem with the battery. I would suspect battery issue if the car is not cranking or cranking at slow speed. So when you try to start the car what happens, does the starter motor trun the engine but not start? Does cranking happen slowly (which can indicate weak battery). If cranking is normal then battery should be okay. Problem can also be due to bad petrol (I mean very bad). Did you fill before parking the car when last used? Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 10th January 2011 at 11:15.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Amit to answer your question, When I crank the car, I only get a click-click sound after which there is no more reaction from the car.
I will try to remove the battery out and get the volts checks. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
@Amit to answer your question, When I crank the car, I only get a click-click sound after which there is no more reaction from the car.
I will try to remove the battery out and get the volts checks. Thanks for the suggestion.
Then it's a battery (most likely) or starter motor problem. You should be able to jump or push start the car, if you want to take it out for a check-up. I won't recommend push start though.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:45   #7
BHPian

I guess, its the solenoid switch/contact in the starting motor acting up.
Did you face any issues with the bendix slipping earlier?
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2011, 12:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the battery can be charged 'out' of the car.

Also,
1. How old is the battery?
2. In case you find it difficult to take the battery to the battery shop, just to get a 'crank'ing charge in it, you can also use the Inverter of your home, if you have one.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:08   #9
BHPian

I also point out to inspect your fuel pump / relay as well. On one occassion on my previous Maruti car, I have faced similar issue and the diagnosis was done by a good mechanic - he could spot the issue was that the relay was acting up, changed the relay of the fuel pump and the issue resolved!

Sometime the fuel adulteration could cause the issue - if it is your entire fuel line including the pump must be cleaned / repalced.

Otherwise startup motor - pls ask the mechanic to inspect it!

Battery issue - is your head light / horn / other electricals working fine? Then it shouldnt be a battery issue.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

First check the battery and battery terminals. See if they are clean and tight. Second check the battery condition through a good battery shop. If its low on charge give it for charging, but if cells have gone bad, replace the battery.
Old 10th January 2011, 14:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Jaggu/ Narayan/ Dhanushs

Thanks for the suggestion. My battery is as old as my car 2007 yr make.
So I am guessing its also old enough to be replaced.

So here are the steps I am going to follow to based on opinions provided.
1. First will clean up the battery place and the terminals. and try starting.
2. If step 1 fails, will try removing the battery and taking it to the local battery person.
3. If step 2 fails, will ask the mechanic to come and personally check the battery and the start up motor.

My only concern is the fuel is near the Red line I am just scared the fuel quality as mentioned by Narayan might be the issue.

But anyway will follow the steps mentioned above first to rule out any chances of battery issue, will come to the fuel quality later.
I am also contemplating getting a liter of petrol and pouring it into Fuel tank in case if it might help. Just to make sure any dirt is flushed out, but that incase if the step 1-3 fails.

Thanks for keeping my fear to a lower levels.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Jaggu/ Narayan/ Dhanushs

Thanks for the suggestion. My battery is as old as my car 2007 yr make.
So I am guessing its also old enough to be replaced.

So here are the steps I am going to follow to based on opinions provided.
1. First will clean up the battery place and the terminals. and try starting.
2. If step 1 fails, will try removing the battery and taking it to the local battery person.
3. If step 2 fails, will ask the mechanic to come and personally check the battery and the start up motor.

My only concern is the fuel is near the Red line I am just scared the fuel quality as mentioned by Narayan might be the issue.

But anyway will follow the steps mentioned above first to rule out any chances of battery issue, will come to the fuel quality later.
I am also contemplating getting a liter of petrol and pouring it into Fuel tank in case if it might help. Just to make sure any dirt is flushed out, but that incase if the step 1-3 fails.

Thanks for keeping my fear to a lower levels.
Pouring a litre of fuel will not help. To flush out dirt, you would need to clean the entire fuel assembly i.e. fuel tank, fuel line etc. Pouring fuel would just mean the dirt accumulates in the tank.

The first thing is to clean the battery terminals. Also, as a quick diagnostic test, you could place another battery (same charge) in place of yours and try. If it works fine, the problem lies with the battery. If not, it could be a problem with the starter motor.

One question : Is the problem surfacing ONLY when the fuel is on/below the red line? If yes, the problem definitely lies with the fuel assembly. I've faced a similar problem with my Corsa when it was lying idle, without any shelter for a yr. Solution would be to change the entire fuel assembly.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:21   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Xing,

Why not call The Batmobile. They'll give you a jump start and run a quick diagnosis on your battery. It's free too

Quote:
I am also contemplating getting a liter of petrol and pouring it into Fuel tank in case if it might help.
You are over-reacting. Get a jump start first, then have your battery & starting system checked up.
Old 12th January 2011, 15:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

People the starting issue is solved. Thanks a lot for the advise. In fact it ended up with peaceful note.

I used google to find the number of nearby MASS number and the person came to our home within half an hour with the spare battery.
Meanwhile, when he was talking about the problem, I mentioned what all could have gone wrong. Basically I mentioned, whatever was listed in this thread. He was startled with my know how. (thanks to TBHP for that).

Can someone throw light on response of this kind of other manufacturers' service center. Are they equally effieient like Maruti.

Anyway, the car started perfectly with the spare battery, then he drove it to his service station and replaced the battery (Amaron) and returned the car back. I dint want to charge the battery and reuse it, after the trauma I had with an old battery. Moreover it was only INR 3500.

End note:
A new Amaron battery for replacement : INR 3500
Peace of mind owing to service center coming to home and making service: Priceless.

P.S @GTO:
The numbers that you mentioned did not have any response at all. I tried day-before-yesterday for around 8-10 times. Guess they might have stopped the service.

Last edited by xingamazon : 12th January 2011 at 15:22.
Old 12th January 2011, 17:20   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can someone throw light on response of this kind of other manufacturers' service center. Are they equally effieient like Maruti.
Most manufacturers run these services through their dealers so it all depends on the dealer.

When my car wouldn't start after a year of being idle, the Chevrolet showroom guys came, tried to jump-start and revive the battery and when they couldn't, towed it to the service station.

About Bat Mobile, I've had a very good experience and one where they didn't show up. It all depends on the proximity of the Bat Mobile van to your place. When they do show up, they are pretty good though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks