Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 17:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Daylight robbery by Hyundai: Santro drive axle costs 22.5K!!!

33K KM is not much to warrant drive shaft failure. This happened due to boot tearing, lubricnt escaping and mud getting in causing failure.

BTW let me ask a doubt. Is the replacement imported or indegenous? The price appears too high. An Alto shaft assy costs less than 3.5K.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

SS-T, the SA specifically said drive shafts are different for AT & MT.

Didn't we have a thread (2-3 years old) that had the part costs for all the cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
33K KM is not much to warrant drive shaft failure. This happened due to boot tearing, lubricnt escaping and mud getting in causing failure.
It has suffered 20K of Manipal roads, that's a major abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
BTW let me ask a doubt. Is the replacement imported or indegenous? The price appears too high. An Alto shaft assy costs less than 3.5K.
They are getting it from Chennai. Does the Alto shaft assembly (3.5) include CV joint?

The Scorpio CV joint costs 40K, so I was not entirely shocked when I heard 22.5K for the Santro CV joint.

Now many of you have got drive shaft + CV for less than 10K, even 3.5K?

Is there somebody here who replaced a Santro drive shaft assembly? How much did it cost?

Last edited by Samurai : 10th January 2011 at 17:21.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:24   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
SS-T, the SA specifically said drive shafts are different for AT & MT.
Look up your courier guy's phone number, and send the (Santro's drive-)shaft across ASAP. You'll have it back by the end of the week. That's the best I can do to help!
Quote:
Didn't we have a thread (2-3 years old) that had the part costs for all the cars?
Didn't see a mention of Santro A/T driveshaft being changed anywhere, and ACM doesn't list driveshaft prices in its annual price comparo.
Quote:
The Accent petrol driveshaft (of which the CV joint is an included part) was @8k at HASS but @4k for genuine parts outside. But the CRDi's driveshaft was @18k at HASS but 8k outside. The 22.5k for a Santro A/T driveshaft therefore sounds fantastically bloated - maybe that's intentional by Hyundai because of the extremely few numbers of Santro A/T sold till now. Repair/refurbishment is definitely your best option.

Just to give you an idea of what is usually done (I leave it to the guy who fixes a dozen or more everyday!):

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 10th January 2011 at 17:36.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SS-T,
They are getting it from Chennai. Does the Alto shaft assembly (3.5) include CV joint?
Yes the cost for Alto included the CV joint. I replaced it (LHS) at an A.S.S. Cost is still lesser outside
Old 10th January 2011, 23:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

check with oem manufacturer. like GKN, Delphi etc for the shaft. BTW who makes shaft for hyundai.?

I doubt it would cost 22.5k. As it looks like a normal CV joints. Call another Hyundai authorized for price.

-K

PS:i had made a thread specifically for that. I guess you missed it, as shaft failure is mostly attributed to neglected torn rubber boot.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ntainance.html

Last edited by SirAlec : 10th January 2011 at 23:52.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:54   #21
BHPian

@samurai
price of 22.5k is way high even the AT drive shafts for my OHC AT didnt cost that much even though they were original Honda sourced form outside.

Better get the price checked.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Axle, drive shaft and CV joints are not too different between a AT and MT which would cause an order of magnitude difference in price. I have changed drive shaft on my Swift Diesel recently and was charged 3500 + labour (240 rs.).only CV joint should be cheaper.
Old 11th January 2011, 18:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Axle, drive shaft and CV joints are not too different between a AT and MT which would cause an order of magnitude difference in price. I have changed drive shaft on my Swift Diesel recently and was charged 3500 + labour (240 rs.).only CV joint should be cheaper.
The joints would be the same but the length of the shafts could be different. Markup possibly higher because A/T parts are slow moving and sit for long time raising inventory costs.
Old 11th January 2011, 21:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If they are not, you can have the CV joints refurbished ten times over for that price, including freight charges if you send them over to Delhi to let my guy do the job! I'm sure there are good places in B'lore which will do the refurbishment for @1500-2000 INR per CV joint. And trust me, refurbished joints, if done well, last and perform as well as originals.
Could you please share Address/contact info for your Delhi guy? I wanted to get an old driveshaft refurbished the next time I go to Delhi so that I keep one handy as a spare.
Old 12th January 2011, 15:18   #25
Team-BHP Support

SS-T, thanks for the offer, but I can't send the drive shaft to Delhi and wait. The car is needed on a daily basis to ferry my son to school and therapy.

Also, I have already paid 15K advance for ordering the part. So that damage is already done. I don't have time to get into long negotiations since I'll be driving back to Manipal this weekend and my wife needs a working car. Wish I could have bought the drive axle somewhere outside, but getting an AT version at short notice will not be possible.

However, after looking at various comments, I have come to realise that Hyundai is committing daylight robbery by charging 22.5K for a drive axle kit. If Alto can run on 3.5K drive axle, there is not reason why Santro drive axle should cost 22.5K or even above 10K.

Today I called the SA in Trident Hyundai and asked why the Santro drive axle should cost 22.5K as compared to Alto drive axle at 3.5K, he couldn't answer. Anyway, it is Hyundai which has fixed the price, I can't blame that on the SA.

I'll also email Hyundai officials protesting the insane price of the item.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th January 2011 at 15:30.
Old 12th January 2011, 16:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Daylight robbery by Hyundai: Santro drive axle costs 22.5K!!!

Any idea how much this will cost for M/T? Of late my Santro is also making the same sounds when turning right. I thought it must be the suspension bushings. Now I should run back and check my vehicle's underside

Samurai san, please update if you get any feedback from Hyundai
Old 12th January 2011, 19:57   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, did you try getting a quote from an after-market chap at all? Once your car crosses a certain age (read = out of warranty), you should definitely consider an independent garage for large repairs. Hyundai does have some obscenely priced parts. I remember Kbk_75 paying over 40K for his Getz' master cylinder (IIRC). Extends to other manufacturers as well though; Honda wanted 18 K for an OHC fuel pump that costs 4K outside.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:11   #28
Team-BHP Support

GTO, I generally use independent garage for the Santro back in Manipal. But in Bangalore, I am yet to identify one. This one came out of the blue.

Mallumowgli, please get it done in an independent garage. If I was not short of time, I would have started looking for an alternative. But with an automatic, I'll have to get robbed this time.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But with an automatic, I'll have to get robbed this time.
For future reference, you can drive around with that problem for a while while you shop around. The CVJ still has a lot of time to go before it totally fails.

Trick is to only feather the throttle when the steering is fully turned. You can nail it in a straight line and then coast as you turn.

PS: You learn all these techniques is US colleges where everyone drives old junkers. I know a guy who drove with kat kat for years. (he did clean the CVJ and replace the boot but not the assy)

Last edited by Mpower : 12th January 2011 at 21:02.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I have already paid 15K advance for ordering the part. So that damage is already done. ......

However, after looking at various comments, I have come to realise that Hyundai is committing daylight robbery by charging 22.5K for a drive axle kit. If Alto can run on 3.5K drive axle, there is not reason why Santro drive axle should cost 22.5K or even above 10K.
Sam, please explain this to me. You had a problem, you went to A.S.S and you got quoted a price, you did not think twice about referring to anyone or forum, you paid the advance and got yourself a deal. After all this, you start a thread and read the comments and you want to call this daylight robbery ? In what way is this DL robbery ? I am sorry I am totally stumped here. This morning the title of this thread was different.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks