Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 17:02   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Got Keyless entry & go? Your car could be easy to steal

Saw it earlier. Very scary considering how often I leave my keys in the room just adjoining our garage.

From now on I'll keep them upstairs. Only a matter of time before such gadgets come to India.
Old 30th April 2018, 10:33   #47
Team-BHP Support

Pretty limp statement from BMW

Quote:
BMW admits it is powerless to stop thieves using gadgets which are widely available online from stealing its latest keyless models
  • There has been a surge in thefts by criminals using 'relay boxes' to steal vehicles
  • It works by extending the signal from owners' key fobs from inside their homes
  • Despite the 'regrettable' situation BMW have said that can't take responsibility

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz5E83IuSTV
If I was BMW, I would be revising the systems to allow keyless entry (that is the main convenience) but key based start/stop
Old 12th September 2018, 10:51   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla and McLaren’s keyless entry system flawed, researches could hack and clone key fob in seconds.

Quote:
Belgian University team uncovers serious hacking risk to keyless entry system developed by Pektron
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 14:17   #49
BHPian

Interesting thread, searching since long to find and to post my query !

I came across below YouTuve video, in which a thief is stealing one ultra modern car having key-less entry system, in few minutes with the help of key fob range extender. Though the video is quiet old (Apr 2016), but still want to understand how safe are our cars and is there something we should be doing to prevent this stuffs?

And another video from India itself, though it was just a prank for them. But being a owner of one such modern car with key-less entry system, I am little worried.

Note to moderator: Please feel free to delete the post, if it is inappropriate or if it has been discussed earlier elsewhere. Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 21:17   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla Model S Get Stolen In 30 Seconds,

Old 26th August 2019, 21:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tesla Model S Get Stolen In 30 Seconds,
Tesla already has a security feature where the driver is required to enter a PIN before the car moves. I have enabled been using it. the hope is that it makes driving away like this a little bit harder. If they cannot drive away, with the sentry mode enabled all they can do is " say cheese" to all the cameras.
Old 26th August 2019, 23:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Tesla already has a security feature where the driver is required to enter a PIN before the car moves. I have enabled been using it. the hope is that it makes driving away like this a little bit harder. If they cannot drive away, with the sentry mode enabled all they can do is " say cheese" to all the cameras.
This particular car was a loaner car from Tesla and hence the PIN was not enabled. Looks like the thieves were tracking the loaner and other similar shared cars where they could be sure that the PIN will not be enabled.
Old 17th September 2020, 20:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

Has there been any new deterrent to such a theft? From the manufacturers or third parties?

From my understanding, after the industry switched to rolling codes, a simple code grab wouldn't work. So thieves devised a new devious technique.

The first time the victim presses their key fob, the theft device ( readily available for about Rs 3-4k) "jams" the signal with a pair of cheap radios that send out noise on the two common frequencies used by cars. At the same time, the hacking device listens with a third radio—one that's more finely tuned to pick up the fob's signal than the actual intended receiver—and records the user's wireless code.

When that first signal is jammed and fails to unlock the door, the user naturally tries pressing the button again. On that second press, the theft device is programmed to again jam the signal and record that second code, but also to simultaneously broadcast its first code. That replayed first code unlocks the door, and the user immediately forgets about the failed key press. But the theft device has secretly stored away a second, still-usable code.

So a thief can easily use the second usable code and unlock your car and steal your valuables etc.

There were a few companies that upgraded their systems to use a system of codes that expire over short time periods and thus render a thief's code useless.

The question is, which companies did the required upgrades to expiring codes? And which companies still leave their buyers vulnerable to interception?
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 10:04   #54
BHPian

Bumping up an old Tread, so that folks can share any new suggestions on how to prevent car theft of keyless entry & push-start cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks