Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 19:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Lancer SLX 2002 Model Electrical Problem

@Pramod: Thank you, I went to the Electrician, he also suggested the same, not to try to find the fault in the existing wiring, but to change the whole wiring setup. Couldnt do it today because i went there late. Told to give it in the morning, so that he can take time and do the proper work.

Also in my car, only the last equation is happening, i think its little weak in equations...

And regarding the Steering wheel, i will not repeat it, i.e., will not turn the steering wheel in engine off condition. Sorry for that mistake. Thank you all for your support & advice.
Old 18th January 2011, 21:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Promod, does the GLXI come with fog lamps as standard? I want to add foglamps to my GLi. I am pretty sure it muct be possible to do so.

the loom is present in all the lancers, most of them have the provisions in the bumpers only one doesn't. I will post the wiring looms pic tomorrow if you want, so you can see yourself if your car has an option.

Pramod
Old 19th January 2011, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hey Hari got your cars issues sorted out? BTW today i got the 140k service done, i have a small electrical issue with the car as well, the music system reboots if the volume goes above 21. i will fix it myself tomorrow.

Pramod
Old 19th January 2011, 22:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hari, IIRC you got some ICE installed in your Lancer after the purchase? Did this issue crop up before or after that? I would recommend Thomas Uncle for electrical diagnosis, he is pretty good at it. Steering noises :- a) During full lock condition and engine running b) Noise when accelerating hard from a standstill, means trouble. If the noise is coming in standstill, don't think there is anything abnormal. BTW noise coming in standstill is only when turned to one side or both sides?

Spike

PS- Welcome to the club
Old 21st January 2011, 13:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Hey Hari got your cars issues sorted out? BTW today i got the 140k service done, i have a small electrical issue with the car as well, the music system reboots if the volume goes above 21. i will fix it myself tomorrow.

Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hari, IIRC you got some ICE installed in your Lancer after the purchase? Did this issue crop up before or after that? I would recommend Thomas Uncle for electrical diagnosis, he is pretty good at it. Steering noises :- a) During full lock condition and engine running b) Noise when accelerating hard from a standstill, means trouble. If the noise is coming in standstill, don't think there is anything abnormal. BTW noise coming in standstill is only when turned to one side or both sides?

Spike

PS- Welcome to the club
@Pramod: I couldnt go to the electrician, i may do it tomorrow. But the lights are working fine now, with the same rating of fuse. And there was huge road vibrations being passed on to the vehicle during the run. I checked it and found that air pressure was too low at 19. Now filled air and its running fine...

@Spike: I didnt check it before the ICE installation . So i am not sure about it. Ayway will get the whole setup checked tomorrow. There is no steering noise. Its only a small whining sound during acceleration, its not from the steering. Something similar to the whinig sound that we manytimes hear from Indica.
Old 21st January 2011, 16:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Indicas are notorious for belt loosening noises. Are you sure if it is a whining noise or a belt hissing noise? The noise disappears once you cross a particular speed, am I right?

Spike
Old 21st January 2011, 20:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a belt issue, does that come every time you speedup or only when you turn on the ac and speedup? It can be a regular belt or AC belt depending on your issue. Just needs tightening.

Pramod
Old 21st January 2011, 23:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Indicas are notorious for belt loosening noises. Are you sure if it is a whining noise or a belt hissing noise? The noise disappears once you cross a particular speed, am I right?

Spike
@Spike: I am not able to identify it, yea, it dissapears above 20kmph
We will have a TD tomorrow together, so that you can identify the issue..

Quote:
Sounds like a belt issue, does that come every time you speedup or only when you turn on the ac and speedup? It can be a regular belt or AC belt depending on your issue. Just needs tightening.

Pramod
I havent driven it with the AC off recently, will try it tomorrow, may be together with Spike, and let you know.
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

^ No issues, will do a TD tomorrow.

Spike
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:21   #25
BHPian

Your parking lights not working is because the wires that go to your right hand control stalk has probably melted. This is one common problem with the lancer. Try turning your headlights on with your key out of the ignition switch and leave the door open. If there is a beeping sound, then it's something else. If you cannot hear the beeping sound with the door open and the headlights on, it is the wire that goes to the indicator stalk that is faulty.
Do *not* mess around with the main wiring harness.

The kat-kat sound probably has something to do with the steering damper. Remove the damper, put some good quality grease into the damper cavity and replace the damper spring. Do *not* put a duplicate damper which is made of plastic. The original damper is made of aluminium.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 16th February 2011, 02:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:

No it works something like this.

Head light on = Head light on + Parking lamps on + Tail lights on + Instrument cluster on

Parking lights on = Parking lamps on + Tail lights on + Instrument cluster on

Fog Lamps on = Fog lamps + Parking lamps on + Tail lights on + Instrument cluster on
Pramod
Yep, that's how it works on my SLX 2001 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Promod, does the GLXI come with fog lamps as standard? I want to add foglamps to my GLi. I am pretty sure it muct be possible to do so.
I don't think GLX came with fog lamps but it is easy to install since the bumpers have indentation for fog lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikr View Post
Its only a small whining sound during acceleration, its not from the steering. Something similar to the whinig sound that we manytimes hear from Indica.
just my 2 cents on this ...
The GLX came with stock 175-80/R13 tyres on steel rims.
The same profile for SLX too but with alloys.
I wonder if the previous owner replaced the 13" with 14" / 15" alloys and lower profile tyres. The larger footprint of the tyre puts additional stress on the steering and may cause the kat-kat-kat.

Also, fatter tyres may rub against the inner side of the plastic splasher / torn splasher touching the tyre, may sounds like a whine and at higher speeds this noise gets masked by the normal tyre noise.

--------------------------
Chewbacca
Old 17th February 2011, 19:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Its a Kat kat sound, with a low squeak too.
Check

1. Power steering oil level,
2. Check for Front shock u get small bearing near the apron u can see them only after opening the shick.
3. for the lighting it purely switch issue, I had the same probs in my lancer thats y, change the switch if u feel its expensive try to ask a mech for a switch swap to check the same.
Old 23rd March 2011, 00:03   #28
BHPian

Sorry Guys for not replying for quite long,

Got all my issues sorted out. Took the vehicle to Mahindra First Choice Services. I liked the whole set up. They are taking care of the vehicle in a decent way. No harsh drivings, use proper tools, genuine spare parts etc..

Coming to my issues, the power steering belt was loose. He tightened and tourqued it so its working fine now. Regarding the fog lamp, the switch had melted inside , dont know how it happened. I had to wait for one week to get the new switch. After getting the switch, it was replaced and the whole wiring was checked. Wiring was found OK but the head light combination switch is showing signs of melting too. But the lighting systems are working fine now with new fog lamp switch. The work shop guy is telling that i can continue using the same combination switch as it can be costly to replace and existing one seems to work fine except for the melty looks inside. He quoted some where around 4000 for new combination switch(from one of his vendor, and told me to enquire in mumabi or pune where i may get cheaper options).

So what do you guys feel? Should i change the combination switch also. If yes, is the Rs 4000 reasonable for that?

Also during the basic checks on the vehicle, it was found that the drive shaft oil seal was broken and the gear oil had leaked out. Replaced that too.

By the way did some ICE upgrades too. GOt a pioneer 2 DIn HU, along with the JBL 4 Channel Amp and JBL Bass tube. So now enjoying my ride.

Thanks and Regards,

Harikrishnan
Old 23rd March 2011, 04:28   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. i have a small electrical issue with the car as well, the music system reboots if the volume goes above 21. i will fix it myself tomorrow.

Pramod
The update may be late, but I had a similar issue in my IKON. Traced to a loose ICE fuse.

Quote:
So what do you guys feel? Should i change the combination switch also. If yes, is the Rs 4000 reasonable for that?
I believe the 'combination' should mean the whole unit, if so, yes, it might cost that much. Even my 800's combination switch costs ~1500.

Quote:
GOt a pioneer 2 DIn HU, along with the JBL 4 Channel Amp and JBL Bass tube.

If its OK, could you please elaborate on the tech spec, and prices?. Also, how is bass tube different from a stand alone sub?(for the ears)

Because I'm looking for a bass tube/subwoofer myself.

Last edited by dhanushs : 23rd March 2011 at 04:31.
Old 27th November 2015, 23:16   #30
BANNED

My lancer did not came with fog lamp as it is glx version.
Can some one post picture of wiring connecting fog lamps. as i have already purchased fog lamp assembly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks