Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 11:06   #1
BHPian

Lancer SLX 2002 Model Electrical Problem

Hello BHPians,
I have purchased a 2002 November Lancer SLX. It has clocked 92000 Km on odo. The car looks and feels pretty good. But now i am facing some small problems in the electrical section. The Low beam head lamp fuse is blowing again and again. Also the parking lamp, instrument cluster ilumination, tail lamp, no.plate ilumination etc are getting switched on only when i switch on the Fog lamp. What can be the problem?? Some experts on this topic, please help me.
Also, what all things should i check for any repairs or replacements.

MODS: I found some topics on used lancer, but they were mainly on modification and accessories. If the post is repeat, please direct me to the proper location.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lancer SLX 2002 Model Electrical Problem

Seems to be an electrical lose connection or shorting with the lighting circuit. The two problems you mentioned seems to have some relation.

Suggest you to take to a competent electrician and do a thorough check up of lighting circuit. Start with the park light/fog light issue first and you might be able to identify the issue there itself.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems to be an electrical lose connection or shorting with the lighting circuit. The two problems you mentioned seems to have some relation.

Suggest you to take to a competent electrician and do a thorough check up of lighting circuit. Start with the park light/fog light issue first and you might be able to identify the issue there itself.
Thank you Jagguji,
I will get it checked with the electrician.

One more problem i noticed just now. The steering is making some noise when i turn it with the vehicle in standstill condition with ignition off. Its not there once the vehicle is moving. Is it ok, or is there some problem with the steering mechanism.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

What kind of noise, is it squeaking or kat kat sound?
Old 18th January 2011, 11:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
What kind of noise, is it squeaking or kat kat sound?
Its a Kat kat sound, with a low squeak too.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikr View Post
Its a Kat kat sound, with a low squeak too.
If I understand correctly, you are trying to turn the steering of a power steering car in stand still w/o starting the car. So do you get this sound even when the engine is on, car in stands till? If no, then it's okay. Steering of PS cars is meant to be turned with steering pump in operation (i.e. starting the engine). Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by amit1234singla : 18th January 2011 at 12:34.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
If I understand correctly, you are trying to turn the steering of a power steering car in stand still w/o starting the car. So do you get this sound even when the engine is on, car in stands till? If no, then it's okay. Steering of PS cars is meant to be turned with steering pump in operation (i.e. starting the engine). Just my 2 cents!
Me too felt the same, just wanted to confirm it.
Old 18th January 2011, 13:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

boss, there is no issue with the fog lamp switch, its designed to act that way. the instrument cluster lights up when you switch on the fogs its normal. If you want it not to do it wire it with a separate switch and make sure you connect a relay. Regarding the fuse does this happen when the fogs are on or just the low beam keeps on blowing its fuse? As per the sound while turning the steering, is it a whine? Does it happen during full lock? if yes the belt is slipping a new belt will solve the problem but only temporarily, its a design flaw only thing dont keep it in that position for long else the pump will go kaput. Let me know if you have any more questions, i would be able to answer any question about a lancer. 10 Years of ownership has been quite knowledgeable with this beautiful machine.

Pramod
Old 18th January 2011, 14:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
boss, there is no issue with the fog lamp switch, its designed to act that way. the instrument cluster lights up when you switch on the fogs its normal. If you want it not to do it wire it with a separate switch and make sure you connect a relay. Regarding the fuse does this happen when the fogs are on or just the low beam keeps on blowing its fuse? As per the sound while turning the steering, is it a whine? Does it happen during full lock? if yes the belt is slipping a new belt will solve the problem but only temporarily, its a design flaw only thing dont keep it in that position for long else the pump will go kaput. Let me know if you have any more questions, i would be able to answer any question about a lancer. 10 Years of ownership has been quite knowledgeable with this beautiful machine.

Pramod
@Pramod. Thanks dear, actually i have read all your posts on lancer, so know about your expertise. By the way i am also from "God's Own Country", now based at Nasik.

Coming to topic, isnt it supposed for the instrument cluster illumination lamps to turn on when we turn on the parking lamp? And the parking lamp is turned on only when Fog lamp is on. It was not the same when i got it. It happened all of a sudden when i was driving yesterday night. In between the drive, all the lights went blank. I tried switching on and switching off again and again, but nothing happened. Finally when i switched on the Fog lamp, everything came back to life except the lowbeam head lamp.

Regarding the Steering, there is no whining sound. It was a small kat kat when i tried turning the wheel to show the tyre profile to my friend (without switching on the ignition). It gives no sound while running.

But there is a small whining when i accelerate from first gear, it dissapears the moment speed crosses 20kmph. What should be causing it.

Thanks...

Last edited by harikr : 18th January 2011 at 15:08.
Old 18th January 2011, 15:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Hari you are correct there is an issue. Tail lights, number plates and instrument clusters should work along with park and head lights. The fog lights will work separate once the main light switch is ON.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to topic, isnt it supposed for the instrument cluster illumination lamps to turn on when we turn on the parking lamp?
True and when the head lamp comes on and when u turn on the fog lamp.

Quote:
And the parking lamp is turned on only when Fog lamp is on.
No it works something like this.

Head light on = Head light on + Parking lamps on + Tail lights on + Instrument cluster on

Parking lights on = Parking lamps on + Tail lights on + Instrument cluster on

Fog Lamps on = Fog lamps + Parking lamps on + Tail lights on + Instrument cluster on

Quote:
It was not the same when i got it. It happened all of a sudden when i was driving yesterday night. In between the drive, all the lights went blank. I tried switching on and switching off again and again, but nothing happened. Finally when i switched on the Fog lamp, everything came back to life except the lowbeam head lamp.
Thats because of as jaggu pointed out a problem with the Head light wiring. Get the head light loom replaced if needed, i dont know about your car but some of the used examples have a lot of splicing done on their wiring so it would be difficult to do a fix which can guarantee a peace of mind, also check the fuse if its of the right rating

Quote:
But there is a small whining when i accelerate from first gear, it dissapears the moment speed crosses 20kmph. What should be causing it.

Thanks...
Get the gearbox oil replaced during your next service. Also get your suspension re torqued.

Quote:
Hari you are correct there is an issue. Tail lights, number plates and instrument clusters should work along with park and head lights. The fog lights will work separate once the main light switch is ON.
Jaggu in lancer the equation is slightly different, you cannot just drive with the fogs without lighting the parking lamp .

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 18th January 2011 at 17:17.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:24   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the Steering, there is no whining sound. It was a small kat kat when i tried turning the wheel to show the tyre profile to my friend (without switching on the ignition). It gives no sound while running.
FYI, Power Steering Mechanisms should NOT be used when the engine(power assist) is not running.

If in a desperate situation, like while push starting, try to avoid the stress on the steering by steering when the wheels are rolling.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Promod, does the GLXI come with fog lamps as standard? I want to add foglamps to my GLi. I am pretty sure it muct be possible to do so.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:40   #14
BHPian

@harikr
minor "kat-kat" sound comin while the engine is off is normal nothin to worry about it will come in the minor play area of steering.
you can reduce the noise if its troubling you by lubricating the universal joint which connects the steering column to the steering rack. Its places near the foot pedals.

and never you should turn the steering with engine off. Do it only under emergency. Operating PS under engine off condition results in stress on steering rack and power steering pump.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:44   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Jaggu in lancer the equation is slightly different, you cannot just drive with the fogs without lighting the parking lamp .

Pramod
That is what i also mentioned right? Not only lancer, most OE fogs will switch ON only once you switch the main light cluster switch also ON.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks