Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 13:58   #46
BHPian

Re: 2 Weeks old Hyundai i10 engulfed in smoke!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post

Update as of today - KUN has come forward to provide 15% discount on the overall bill. No word from Hyundai yet. I have asked him to wait till Saturday so that I can accompany him to service station and take a look at the damage, will try to take some snaps.

Can someone confirm me on why we need to change the fly wheel when the damage is only to clutch??
Fly wheel will not need to be changed unless damaged (which is unlikely in this case). Cluth, pressure plate and release bearing needs to be changed. I think HASS also included flywheel in the approval from customer so that there are no arguments later on if they find it to be damaged. They can only inspect it after opening the clutch. I think it's better to settle the issue with 15% discount (or full labor cost waiver) and move on. W/o fly wheel replacement the cost will anyway not be much. It was worth fighting if it was sure that there are no driving mistakes. Just my views.
Old 20th January 2011, 20:27   #47
BHPian

People who buy Marutis and Hyundais and Tatas plenty on them will be first time drivers / learners. I am sure many of them dont even know what is clutch - forget about the correct clutch usage.

SO - the issue reported here is common? I dont think so.

But still I hear lot of cases where clutch wear out less than 1000 KMS - and blame/question comes onto 'driving style'. I am really getting suspecious with this.

With this particular issue - I feel like Hyundai got the written message that the owner was used to automatics and pretty new to the manual cars - immediately the finger was pointed was towards driving style. Why not it can be a manufacturing issue?

Last edited by narayanang76 : 20th January 2011 at 20:28. Reason: spell check
Old 20th January 2011, 21:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
With this particular issue - I feel like Hyundai got the written message that the owner was used to automatics and pretty new to the manual cars - immediately the finger was pointed was towards driving style. Why not it can be a manufacturing issue?
Correct me if wrong.

Lets assume its manufacturing defect for the sake of arguing. Now, when the clutch behaves in that way, then it has to give out enough smell before even start to smoke. Agreed?

As many pointed out here, before smoking, there should have been definitely clutch burn smell.

So, even those people initially not aware of "perfect" driving, can smell and stop the vehicle under suspicious situation due to the smell.

Here it was not the case.

And hence, this can also be put under that category of negligence driving by manufacturer. Right?
Old 21st January 2011, 18:54   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Vehicle details:

Date of delivery: 01Jan2011
Registration No: TN-0x-xx-1189
Hyundai report request no: 01676
VIN no: MALAM51BLAM766601
Registered in the name: Rajalingam S
Dealer: Kun Hyundai
Taken to : Ambattur service center , Chennai.
MODEL NAME : i10 Epsilon
FUEL TYPE : PETROL
TRANSMISSION : 5 SPEED MANUAL
PRODUCTION DATE : 29.10.2010
COLOR : Sleek Silver
ENGINE NO: G4HGAM154431

I wonder is this car was used before giving the delivery to the customer as the owner says its been delivered to him on 1st Jan 2011. So in the Month of November and December what was the status of this car??!
Old 21st January 2011, 20:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Even I recollect seeing the video of the Ferrari where a guy messed up the car with just about 5 minutes of hard and extreme driving, and that too under a controlled race track.

So the point is, it is nothing to do with 100, 1000, 10000 or more kms. Under improper driving conditions, it can get spoilt. Not just the clutch, but a host of features

Guys, remember one thing. These are mechanical devices and things work fine, if everything functions in tandem. I almost fried my clutch once, because i was driving up a steep rough terrain meant for an SUV, and straining in first gear. Soon, i got the burning metal smell and as soon as i reached the top, the whole clutch bay was smoking out. This happend on a teambhp drive. Had smoke for the rest of the way also. But after normal driving, had no problems after that.

So, it is also to do with stress. Many times you wlould have noticed, if you are trying to reverse your car over a slope, first gear engaged, flooring it, the car keeps sliding forward, one grinds the car again. Very sure you will get the smell soon

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 21st January 2011 at 20:49.
Old 22nd January 2011, 02:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
MODEL NAME : i10 Epsilon
FUEL TYPE : PETROL
TRANSMISSION : 5 SPEED MANUAL
PRODUCTION DATE : 29.10.2010
COLOR : Sleek Silver
ENGINE NO: G4HGAM154431

I wonder is this car was used before giving the delivery to the customer as the owner says its been delivered to him on 1st Jan 2011. So in the Month of November and December what was the status of this car??!
Vehicle was booked during 2nd week of December and delivery was taken in January 01, 2011. I guess it should have been lying in dealer yard till then (perception).

Last edited by camchennai : 22nd January 2011 at 02:15.
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:47   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Vehicle was booked during 2nd week of December and delivery was taken in January 01, 2011. I guess it should have been lying in dealer yard till then (perception).
Ok, When your friend received the call from the dealer saying that the vehicle has been reached from factory?. or it was readily available with the dealer?

Is your friend was particular on the delivery date (1.1.11)?

As per the info available , the vehicle was with dealer since 30th October '10.
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Many times you wlould have noticed, if you are trying to reverse your car over a slope, first gear engaged, flooring it, the car keeps sliding forward, one grinds the car again. Very sure you will get the smell soon
I don't get this. A typo, I suppose.

Quote:
Even if the mfg date was 29/10, we can't assume it was lying with the dealer from 30th onwards. Must have been lying in the factory yard for a while too. I suppose they will despatch stock on a FIFO basis from the factory.

Again the dealers will try to sell every color of your choice on a FIFO basis too, unles the stock pertains to the previous year and you refuse to touch it.

BTW it is very simple to disconnect the odo in the current crop of cars.
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

^LOL. My bad. Looks more like a typo in the membrane ;-)

Actually meant, it can happen either ways. Reversing up a slope or even trying to go up a very steep one and straining hard in first gear to overcome obstacles
Old 24th January 2011, 06:18   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Ok, When your friend received the call from the dealer saying that the vehicle has been reached from factory?. or it was readily available with the dealer?

Is your friend was particular on the delivery date (1.1.11)?

As per the info available , the vehicle was with dealer since 30th October '10.
There were 4 colors for this model available at the time of booking; they were stocks readily available with the dealer.

He was not particular on it, since it was a weekend he took delivery on that day.
Old 25th January 2011, 23:16   #56
BHPian

Update :-

My friend paid 4600/- for repair and KUN delivered the car at his home. KUN Hyundai gave 15% discount on the overall bill amount.
I and another member planned to visit the service center and check the status of the clutch plate however my friend doesn't wants to create any chaos and wants to pay the amount. So I left it to him. Moreover there was no response from Hyundai.

Thanks everyone for your suggestion and feedback.

Mods - We can close this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks