Team-BHP - 07 Civic refuses to start
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   07 Civic refuses to start (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/95463-07-civic-refuses-start.html)

Let me give you a brief background first
This is March 2007 Civic, which has run only 139xx kms till date(It's not pre owned) It's just not run much due to the other cars in the house
I would have to sheepishly admit that it's not been serviced at regular intervals
A rat had once cut into the wires, which eventually led to the O2 sensor being replaced at a cost of 15k little less than a year ago! now in between, the MUL light has started glowing again, and this morning, When my dad wanted it to take it out, It just refused to start! The ignition lights are coming on, but it's refusing to crank up! The driver had mentioned starting trouble a few days ago, but didn't end up it taking it too seriously. Any idea if it could be starter problem or battery problem? or anything else could be the culprit
Before you guys flame me for not maintaining the car properly, I'm still studying, and I don't have much of a say in car maintainence just yet(waiting for a year!)
Have called the magnum honda guys, They're charging Rs600/- as breakdown charges? Isn't that quite a bit?
Will keep you guys updated

Is it cranking?

Serious question - 2020

Quote:

Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak (Post 2216771)
...Any idea if it could be starter problem or battery problem? or anything else could be the culprit...Have called the magnum honda guys, They're charging Rs600/- as breakdown charges? Isn't that quite a bit?

Raghav - based on what you mentioned, it can be due to many different possibilities. Some of the possible reasons can be battery, starter motor, wire cuts, Fuel cut by ECU etc. Battery and starter motor can possibly be ruled out if the starter motor is turning the engine at a normal speed when you try to start. But again too many possibilities here. If honda is asking for 600 for towing to workshop then I think it's resonable. If you have time, you can get it towed by arranging a hired towing vehicle. I suggest you get a thorough service done along with getting this issue fixed.

@binz, Nope, it isn't cranking, It just goes on till where the cockpit lights up, but nothing beyond that
@amit They're not towing the vehicle, they're bringing someone to my place to inspect and fix the problem(the car didn't start at home itself)
I don't think it's a wire cut either because it was working fine till yesterday, but will get it inspected either way, waiting for the technician to arrive. Yes will surely get the vehicle serviced on a priority

If the engine is cranking it is not battery. If it is not then get battery checked. Does the horn work or head lights come on bright? In any case on four years the battery life is questionable.

Only once this is ruled out start thinking of next possibilities.

Seem's like a battery problem. Time to get it charged and give it a try or jump start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak (Post 2216800)
Nope, it isn't cranking, It just goes on till where the cockpit lights up, but nothing beyond that..

Okay, so if you are getting click, click sound when trying to srart and nothing else happens, it's a battery issue. If this is the case, may be you can relax a bit!

Something similar had happened to my Baleno. I thought it was the battery, got it checked. No issues. Turned out to be a 'jammed' starter motor.

It was taken apart, cleaned, lubricated and all was well.

Could be a battery problem.

By the way, have you tried "Dhakka" starting your car.

I had a carb zen and we used to do it when the battery would go off.

@SRK
Push start in MPFi cars dont work if the battery is completely dead that is voltage below 9v as the fuel pump which is electric wont get sufficient power to pump and also the ECU wont get sufficient power to turn ON hence Push Start "Dhaka Start" will not work.

@raghav
is your car manual or automatic transmission?

and you mean to say after turning the key upto ignition position all the lights on the cluster light up and when you turn the key even more to crank it nothing happens right?

well if your car is Automatic try doing this
In Ignition Mode-Press Brake-while keeping the brake pressed-Shift the gear selector from P to N and then try starting.
If the above does not work try Moving the the complete gear shifter from P to S and back again to P.
This resets the ball catch mechanism inside the shifter which opens the circuit which allows the current to reach the starter.
Sometimes it happens that the ball point does not come in contact properly and disconnects the current supply to the starter.
The above system is provided to avoid starting the A/T in any driving gear mode.

@jatin, It's a manual
The technician from magnum honda came, He detected it to be a dead battery because he got it to jump start, he took 600 for the diagnosis, will get it approved with dad in the evening and get it replaced
Thanks for the support guys
Mods, you can close the thread, problem found and will be solved shortly

Update: got the battery changed from exide for 5500/- in exchange for the old battery
Will give it for service this week

Quote:

Originally Posted by jatinpatel (Post 2216959)
@SRK
Push start in MPFi cars dont work if the battery is completely dead that is voltage below 9v as the fuel pump which is electric wont get sufficient power to pump and also the ECU wont get sufficient power to turn ON hence Push Start "Dhaka Start" will not work.

mode.

aah. the push start very well works with cars having MPFI. even if the battery is totally dead you can push start the car. i have done this 3-4 times when my battery drained out completely due to my mistake of keeping the headlights on.