Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Santro - Coolant / Radiator related issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
Thanks Amit,

What's the procedure to test the water pump.
A simple way to check is to start the car (when engine is cold, morning time), open the bonnet, open the radiator cap and then rev the engine a little by hand using accelerator cable from engine bay. If you see the coolant level going little bit up and down when increasing and decresing the rpm, it should indicate that water pump is doing the job. Coolant level in the radiator should be full till top.

BTW, how old is your car. If it's 4-5 years old with over 50k km's, it might be a good idea to get the radiator flusing/ cleaning done anyway.

Hope this helps.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
A simple way to check is to start the car (when engine is cold, morning time), open the bonnet, open the radiator cap and then rev the engine a little by hand using accelerator cable from engine bay. If you see the coolant level going little bit up and down when increasing and decresing the rpm, it should indicate that water pump is doing the job. Coolant level in the radiator should be full till top.

BTW, how old is your car. If it's 4-5 years old with over 50k km's, it might be a good idea to get the radiator flusing/ cleaning done anyway.

Hope this helps.
I will try tomorrow and let u know the results
Old 24th June 2011, 12:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I will try tomorrow and let u know the results
Thanks Amit for the tip

i tested the water pump the same method, it passed the test. is it possible the relay that works for the radiator fan may not be working every time.

As this is changed in route from a maruti shop not hundai one.

the raditor was cleaned and poured with new coolant and water during the trip itself.

still dont know the culprit
Old 24th June 2011, 12:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amit for the tip

i tested the water pump the same method, it passed the test. is it possible the relay that works for the radiator fan may not be working every time.

As this is changed in route from a maruti shop not hundai one.

the raditor was cleaned and poured with new coolant and water during the trip itself.

still dont know the culprit
Okay, so the things to check are thermostat valve and radiator fan. I suggest you take the car to a hyundai service centre and ask them to just check for both. Don't ask them to fix but check and then let you know the problem and repair estimate. You can then take a second opinion from a good mechanic and proceed accordingly.

Can you check if the radiator fan in your can turns off even when engine is overheating. Normally what happens is, when the engine temp reaches a certain point, the radiator fan comes on and stays on till the temp drops. So in your car, when the temp needle is above half mark, radiator fan should keep running unless the temp falls. Can you check if the fans turns off even if the temp needle is beyond half mark. that should tell if there is an issue with the fan, relay or related componants. I know this will require you to heat up your car to a point but don't let it go in red zone, shut down the engine before that.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 12:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, so the things to check are thermostat valve and radiator fan. I suggest you take the car to a hyundai service centre and ask them to just check for both. Don't ask them to fix but check and then let you know the problem and repair estimate. You can then take a second opinion from a good mechanic and proceed accordingly.

Can you check if the radiator fan in your can turns off even when engine is overheating. Normally what happens is, when the engine temp reaches a certain point, the radiator fan comes on and stays on till the temp drops. So in your car, when the temp needle is above half mark, radiator fan should keep running unless the temp falls. Can you check if the fans turns off even if the temp needle is beyond half mark. that should tell if there is an issue with the fan, relay or related componants. I know this will require you to heat up your car to a point but don't let it go in red zone, shut down the engine before that.
Amit,

took the car to hyundai service station and they had close inspection found that the radiator is choked and there is no way it can be cleaned with flush.

Changed the complete radiator and flushed the coolant entry and exit points and complete path.

hope this will resolve the issue. thanks AMit again
Old 1st July 2011, 13:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
took the car to hyundai service station and they had close inspection found that the radiator is choked and there is no way it can be cleaned with flush
Hi,

Sorry for not replying earlier. Your issue does seem to be of clogged radiator or a kaput water pump. Since the water pump issue is ruled out, it should be clogged cooling lines.
Quote:
Changed the complete radiator and flushed the coolant entry and exit points and complete path.
Was there really a need for changing the radiator?. IMO, an outside workshop might have been able to un-clog it.
Quote:
hope this will resolve the issue.
Yes, mostly this will resolve the issue. If not, then it might be a fan issue. How many fans does the car have?. Or is it one fan with several speeds?. If so, the higher speeds might not be working, making thermostat the culprit.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Amit,

took the car to hyundai service station and they had close inspection found that the radiator is choked and there is no way it can be cleaned with flush.

hope this will resolve the issue. thanks AMit again
Glad to hear that the problem is resolved. Keep an eye on the temp guage for a few days just to be sure.

As dhanushs mentioned, I think a good roadside mechanic should have been able to clean the old radiator. Unless it had other issues (like leakage etc) it was not needed to be replaced. Service Centres have a liking towards replacement (gives them more revenue in less time). If you don't mind sharing, how much did it cost (part+labor)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
How many fans does the car have?. Or is it one fan with several speeds?. If so, the higher speeds might not be working, making thermostat the culprit.
dhanushs - santro comes with a single fan but two speeds. High speed comes gets activated if the coolant temp hits critical mark which normally should not happen in an otherwise fine car. To check for the fan I recommended a method in above posts. Last thing we want is the problem to remain due to faulty fan or relays etc in which case radiator change is futile.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 1st July 2011 at 14:12.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to hear that the problem is resolved. Keep an eye on the temp guage for a few days just to be sure.

As dhanushs mentioned, I think a good roadside mechanic should have been able to clean the old radiator. Unless it had other issues (like leakage etc) it was not needed to be replaced. Service Centres have a liking towards replacement (gives them more revenue in less time). If you don't mind sharing, how much did it cost (part+labor)?

dhanushs - santro comes with a single fan but two speeds. High speed comes gets activated if the coolant temp hits critical mark which normally should not happen in an otherwise fine car. To check for the fan I recommended a method in above posts. Last thing we want is the problem to remain due to faulty fan or relays etc in which case radiator change is futile.
Sure why not. this forum is all about sharing what you know.
this cost 3600 + 400 labor for the radiator replacement. there are other charges like coolant and other stuff like cleaning of a water accumulation in the front fender and taxes and VAT
svpatra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 07:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have an 8 year old Santro Xing AT, sparingly used. It usually remains parked on the front porch. A few days ago I noticed that there was a small spot of coolant on the floor underneath the car after having driven the car for around 30 km. Not wishing to take any chances, I kept it parked until I could find the time to do something about it.
It so happens , today I do have some time on hand, but before I take it to HMP, Delhi I thought to poke around a bit myself after doing some research on the forum here in TBHP.
Opened the bonnet, to carry out a few checks before starting engine.
a) Coolant tank is on Full
b) Opened radiator cap, water+coolant mix was visible inside. Tried to top up with some tap water - but was not really necessary as it became brim-full by just pouring a few cc.
c) Visually inspected the hoses (as far as I could see without detaching anything) - No obvious leaks.
d) No coolant leak inside the cabin.
e) No engine temperature increase when the car went on the 30 km run prior to being parked.

While I can't rule out a leakage on the hose joints, I am suspecting it to be a water pump gasket/seal issue.

I will keep you posted as to what happens.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Update: It seems the hose connecting the radiator to the engine block is leaking at the engine block end. Small leak - and it can't be seen before putting it up on the ramp.
Old 4th August 2011, 19:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back from HMP. Parts changed:
1. Hose: Water Inlet
2. Gasket: W/Inlet Fitting
3. Fitting: Coolant Inlet

Parts + Labour =Rs 1237.

Taking a page out of Edd China's Wheeler Dealers I went ahead and asked the workshop manager - why he did not change out all the cooling system hoses as they are all 8 years old now - and bound to give out sooner than later. He gave me a breezy "Hum Hain Na" which leaves me feeling:

Hopefully, I'll be lucky enough to spot the next spill/drip when it happens.

This leak had almost gone unnoticed, and it was only by accident that I spotted it (it was a green spot of about 3 cm diameter and just about to dry up the day I saw it). Guess I can count myself lucky that it got caught in time otherwise things could have been worse...

I must put a reminder on the mobile phone - to check level in radiator once every 2 weeks.
Old 13th January 2012, 13:48   #27
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am back with the same issue, again in a traffic congested areas the cars shows again overheating. The needle crossed little below ¾ of temp meter. There was noise started like connector rod knocking.
after crossing some meters where I got some space for parking , I saw the fan started and temp became slowing down but not to the actual usual position.
Is there a possibility that thermo start is not responding on time or any other issue. Please consider the temp in delhi in winter. And temp needle depends on the coolant temp not the engine temp. that’s my understanding.
In the previous check the radiator, coolant, a connector to the engine ( rubber one ) and the relay was changed

Thanks
Srinivas

Last edited by svpatra : 13th January 2012 at 14:02. Reason: it was not addressed correctly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks