Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:38   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gautam Sen launches "The Car Design" Book

High Points:

- Gautam Sen has launched "The Car Design" book in India.

- Such a comprehensive publication on automotive design is a first in the country.

- The coffee-table book encapsulates the history of car design and how it has changed over the decades, the coachbuilders – scalpel wielders- who shaped the automobile and the star designers who played a significant role in automotive design. Also included are 50 of the most beautiful cars from the beginning of the automobile era, and 50 of the most fascinating concept cars through time.

- 140 pages and almost 400 photographs, many never published before.

- About Gautam Sen : Gautam Sen founded India’s first newsstand car magazine, Indian Auto, in 1986. In 1993, Sen moved to the Business India Group, and helped launch Auto India, which became India’s best-selling car magazine. Back in the driver’s seat at Auto India since 2007, Sen also launched the Indian editions of Germany’s auto motor und sport and the BBC’s TopGear magazine. Sen has also consulted in the areas of design for several carmakers in India and Europe having worked with – or knowing personally – many of the designers featured in the book.

Gautam Sen launches "The Car Design" Book-pic1.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Gautam Sen launches "The Car Design" Book

>>>

GTO,

Thank you for sharing this with all of us.
A (book) review from the team-bhp experts will be in order here.

If team-bhp can do car reviews ( and so well!) why not venture into book reviews of books on various aspects of the automobile.

Also, I hope there are comparisons by team-bhp between cars which target the same market segment ( in terms of customer requirements/needs, price range, perhaps) which will enable us to have a reasonably objective analysis of the strengths and weaknesses for potential car buyers, and potential scope for improvement/range extension for the OEMs too.

Regards, drive safe
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is a good stuff.
Many years back, I was wondering (and people within my circle had no clue and no goolge that time )how one would become a product/auto designer and it was an article by Gautam Sen in AutoIndia which provided me the required insights. Even with the modest print quality, the magazine was of really high quality.
Gentleman is of very high caliber
Old 5th February 2011, 19:20   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Thank you for sharing this with all of us.
A (book) review from the team-bhp experts will be in order here.
Hmmm. I'd put one up myself but reading material on car design doesn't interest me much.

Quote:
If team-bhp can do car reviews ( and so well!) why not venture into book reviews of books on various aspects of the automobile.
Not official reviews, but we have something on similar lines:

Must read books for BHPians

Your top 5 books and what you reading now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Gentleman is of very high caliber
Wholeheartedly agreed. Another veteran worth a mention is the highly regarded, and respected Murad Ali Baig. Thorough gentleman if I ever met one.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Car Design book is a very informative entertaining book offering a lot to everyone.
I am basically a vintage and classic car guy, and it is very interesting to see such cars from a designers point of view, explaining the design, the philosophy, the thoughts and the features, either trend setting or unique. There are pictures of vintage and classic cars we know exist here in India.
Then there are many of these so called futuristic designs evolved in the 1970's when I was in the age of growing up with Matchbox toys by Leslie. Many of these conceptuallised cars did come out as models and toys to be played with and I still have some of them.
And then there are the latest designs, the Ferrari's, Lambos and the likes which enthrall todays younger generation.
The book covers the cars, the designers, and the styling houses in such great detail.
Finally, the design of the book itself is superb, sleek, suave, and keeping with the subject.
This should not be solely considered as a technical book, it gives so much information other than technical to interest those who are not deep into technical aspects.
This book is recommendable to any car enthusiast. I have my copy in my shelf.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 23rd February 2011 at 10:59.

Most Viewed