Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2006, 16:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

They said they were cleaning the pump, filter and stuff. They asked my for some serial number that comes with the spare key of the car so that they can open some 'box' and check the car.

And each time i ask them 'what the prob is' they keep tellin me that they are checking the car or just add another prob to the list.
Old 5th January 2006, 17:48   #32
Team-BHP Support

Boss, you know wot? I strongly suspect that those morons are learning on the job... and ur car is the guinea pig they got for free. Ask them or rather force them to confess and u may just find that they have never handled anything more severe than routine service and stuff like that. They themselves have no idea of what they are doing. Uhuh... Just get outta that place. Immediately.
Old 5th January 2006, 17:48   #33
BANNED

Hey Karthik,

I really feel sorry for you. They are just giving you a lot of crap. The point is that they do not know where to start and where to end hence they just gave you an estimate including all the possible parts in the fuel chain.

Dont know much about diesel cars but as Rtech said a faulty MAP sensor could cause the problem. The fuel pump should be fine if the car starts but then again it may have become weak(clogged) due to gumming/tarring.

I would advise you to get the car out of there asap.

Viper
Old 5th January 2006, 18:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sounds as if the garage are taking advantage of your circumstances to try and screw you for as much money as they can.

I would get a second opinion.
Old 5th January 2006, 18:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hey Karthik...
Sorry for your car.....
Now u dont even have a second option as they have opened everything....
Just a suggestion
As u have to leave the car for some time Take care of your other things Car audio , strobes etc or they will make another mess for u....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Guys the pump that he used is one of the best known in Trivandrum - I make it a point to refill ONLY from that pump when I am in Trivandrum myself. I cant believe this - Pure for Sure should be renamed Poor for Sure!

Karthik used xtra mile of IOC.... Pure for sure is of BP....
I think in terms of fuel quality IOC pumps sukkkk...But pure IOC fuel are the best.....
Old 5th January 2006, 18:32   #36
Team-BHP Support

Karthik247,

I'm with everyone on the "this sounds fishy".

What i cant seem to understand is how "bad fuel" can cause a relay to fail???!
If i had to take a shot in the dark i would guess it the other way around!, ie that a relay failed and they blamed that on "bad fuel".

Do YOU have a sample of the fuel? If you do get it analyzed (i have no idea where or how), if not, see if they still have that bottle of fuel and pick it up from them (without giving them a second chance to add kerosene to it ...who knows what service stations are capable of!)

I'm with Rtech, sounds like it could very well be a sensor/electrical problem that is confusing them. (Bad fuel causing the ECU to fail just shouldnt happen. Im not saying its impossible, but is shouldnt be happening!)

Get your car TOWED to another service station. Put in a note to manually check all the sensors/relays/wiring because sometimes those diagnostics computers dont pick up everything.

cya
R
Old 5th January 2006, 18:42   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
And what is a relay?
A relay is part of an electrical circuit.
In simple terms, it uses a very small current to switch on/off the circuit for a much larger current.

For a better explaination, How Stuff Works - Relays

cya
R
Old 5th January 2006, 18:59   #38
BHPian

hey karthik ... i am really aghast at what the mechs at Skoda have done to you ... please get your car out of the garage as they have decided to make you a Bakra .. i am sure about that ... bad fuel will not do all the damage they are claiming .. something else must be wrong with your car ... get your car checked at the other garage fast ...
Old 5th January 2006, 19:19   #39
BANNED

Wow! Really sorry to hear about what has happened with you, Karthik... That too at the start of the year. I hope and pray all turns out to be good for you and please, my friend, do listen to our fellow Team-BHPians and get a second opinion as something seems really weird about this whole Skoda workshop episode. Wishing you all the best!
Old 5th January 2006, 19:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

1.8 lac estimate is way too much

Hi Karthik,

You mentioned that the mechanics tested your turbo on another car..well..that more than anything else points to the fact that they know pretty little. i just hope the other car is running fine now!!

I think the service guys are taking you for a toss. 1.8 lacs is just way too much for bad fuel.
- bad fuel should not hurt any mechanical parts. If at all it does then it might be because the ECU sends signals that are way out of range. But aren't ECUs usually programmed with a built in safe mode?
- sensor damage might be a possibility as most of the sensors now are semiconductors and the harmful chemicals in adulterated fuel poison them.
- Is it possible that your injectors might be damaged?

Testing the fuel might be a good idea provided the service center ain't cheap enough to adulterate it themselves. Perhaps shooting off a letter to Autocar India helpline and Skoda India might be a good idea too.

Well bad news for all the porsches, mercs and bmws freewheeling down to this part of the world i guess.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 5th January 2006, 20:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Well, i think i'll just wait till 2moro and see and all other probs they'll comd up with. Right now I'm don't think i'll be able to get the car out of there that soon cuz they removed the engine frm the bay and are cleanin it or whatever. They said they did store the adulterated fuel, but i also have know idea where to get it tested and all. Well, for now i'll try to get my car outta there asap and then think abt the rest of the stuff...there's nutin more i could do.
Old 5th January 2006, 20:19   #42
BANNED

Hey Karthik,

They removed the engine :WTF: looks like you are really screwed big time now.

Viper
Old 5th January 2006, 20:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

[SIZE=2]Bad fuel is an excuse for not paying warranty. They are trying to sweep the dirt under the carpet. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Usually when the mechanic dosent know *** is wrong, he will start ripping out parts and replacing them with new ones. You need to bypass the dealer and talk straight to Skoda. [/SIZE]
Old 5th January 2006, 21:07   #44
BHPian

I agree with everyone. Looks like they are taking you for a ride. Ask them for a full diagnostic report and a clear explanation of the problem.

Bad fuel can clog systems but i am sure the car is not so badly designed to cost a 1.8lakh repair. Something is definitely fishy. My guess is they do not know what the problem is and they are taking you for a ride.

GET THE CAR OUT OF THAT GARAGE!!! Try contacting someone from the Skoda regional office and maybe magazines like autocar.

Guys.. pls help out... Does anyone have any contacts?
Old 5th January 2006, 21:47   #45
Team-BHP Support

Are you sure it was not something simple as a loose turbo hose causing a loss of power and excess fuel to run in?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed