Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 13:25   #16
BHPian

Re: What is this? On the Hood? EDIT - Fuel Injectors for Blowers

Thanks a lot for so much of information.

Any chance of using supercharger and turbocharger at the same time?

Which one is powerful? Supercharger? or Turbocharger?

Thanks and Regards
Old 10th February 2011, 13:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
Thanks a lot for so much of information.

Any chance of using supercharger and turbocharger at the same time?

Which one is powerful? Supercharger? or Turbocharger?

Thanks and Regards
There are threads already for this question and have been linked in previous posts .

Quote:
Oh yes, size does matter! Hotrods have never caught on (and probably never will) in a country obsessed with "kitna deti hai?" , and these modifications are meant to take power output into a different league altogether.
however, this link proves otherwise , in particular to the roots type blower models as seen in the picture. a quote from the site says

"Roots superchargers are usually large and sit on top of the engine. They are popular in muscle cars and hot rods because they stick out of the hood of the car. However, they are the least efficient supercharger for two reasons: They add more weight to the vehicle and they move air in discrete bursts instead of in a smooth and continuous flow" .

The link is a good read muditgrover, should answer your doubts as well. Read up on "twin-chargers" for your query

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 10th February 2011 at 13:44.
Old 10th February 2011, 13:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
Any chance of using supercharger and turbocharger at the same time? Which one is powerful? Supercharger? or Turbocharger?
Theoretically yes. Both can be used together either in series or parallel. Practically, it will be difficult to integrate the two. For this intermediate, NRVs and intercoolers will be needed. It is always better to have multiple stages in the same unit.

Turbocharger takes energy from the waste exhaust gases, so improves overall efficiency. On the downside, due to lack of positive drive, large compression ratios can't be achieved. Therefore this is not as powerful as a supercharger which has a belt or chain drive. Supercharger reduces the overall efficiency but if we are opting to supercharge our engines do we really care about efficiency or milage
Old 10th February 2011, 13:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Excuse me to reignite this thread! I first of all thank all those who have corrected my definition for a super and a turbo charger.

1. I forgot to write the word "compress" while explaining turbo chargers.
2. I did not want to confuse Little grover by giving him too much information at once and wanted him to do a search in TBHP by himself once given the lead on super and turbochargers.

anyways, all that is solved and explained now, let me close my statement here.

Again, thank you guys for correcting my mistakes. I shall be watchful anymore!
Old 10th February 2011, 18:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Theoretically yes. Both can be used together either in series or parallel. Practically, it will be difficult to integrate the two. For this intermediate, NRVs and intercoolers will be needed. It is always better to have multiple stages in the same unit.
Supercharging and turbocharging at the same time is quite possible and has been done for decades now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
On the downside, due to lack of positive drive, large compression ratios can't be achieved. Therefore this is not as powerful as a supercharger which has a belt or chain drive.
That makes no sense as you can make equal amounts of power with less boost if you are running higher compression. The only problem, if you can call it that, is the fact that tuning timing becomes a bit more critical. Comparing superchargers to turbochargers is like comparing apples and oranges.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks