Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 16:01   #1
BANNED

Swift Service - Brakes and Water Pump Drive Belt Question

I own a Swift Petrol VXI-ABS. It's done around 50000 kms.

I was going through the handbook and found 2 things which aren't repeated in all services.

These are the entries from the handbook.

1) Engine Section
------------------
Water Pump Drive Belt (Tension, Wear) - the handbook calls for replacing this at 60000 kms. I was wondering if this needs to be unconditionally replaced at 60000 kms or only if something is wrong. And how much does replacing this cost?

2) Brakes Section
-----------------
Master cylinder/Wheel cylinder/Calliper(Oil leakage, Bootcut). The handbook says to replace this every 40000 kms. Again is this unconditional or only if something is wrong? I had my brakes cleaned at both the 40000 km & 50000 km service, but the service guys didn't tell me anything about this.
I don't remember this being done during my 40000 km service. However, I am getting my brake pads changed next weekend, so if this is required, I can get it done then. Any idea what this work involves & how much will it cost? Is this related to only front or also relevant to the back?

Mods, if there is some other thread where this can be merged, please do so.
Old 13th February 2011, 18:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Swift Service - Brakes and Water Pump Drive Belt Question

Both should be regarded as wear and tear items and periodically checked. In both cases, the trade-off is reduced reliability of operation.

That is, if you can bear the consequences of failure of the component, plus any side-effects, you can let it run till it breaks, or you can pre-empt it by proactive replacement at a defined interval befroe such failure occurs.

Your choice.
Old 13th February 2011, 19:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get both the parts thoroughly inspected and replaced only if necessary. The service manual is based on the expected lifetime of a given part. Your manual information means that the water pump belt is expected to last at least 60K kms. When reaching this interval, the belt should be inspected. If there are signs of wear or the tension is less than prescribed, you may have to replace it. If it's perfectly fine, there's no reason to replace it.

Master cylinder and brake calipers, in my opinion, do not need to be replaced unless they have been damaged. Master cylinder is the main reservoir for the brake fluid, while the brake calipers on the front wheels house the brake pads. Both of them are not wear and tear items and should last you for the lifetime of the vehicle. So I suggest you double check what the manual says about them. It could be that the brake oil has been clubbed together along with these items, and the replacement part is about the brake oil.

If it's really about brake oil, you can get the same inspected and replaced. Again, unless the oil has been contaminated, there would be no compelling reason to replace it. But you should know that after you have crossed the 40000 mark, the oil will start to degrade in its properties. Use the 40K mark to check for its quality and thereafter keep checking it at every 5K or so.

honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2011, 20:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I own a Swift Petrol VXI-ABS. It's done around 50000 kms.

I was going through the handbook and found 2 things which aren't repeated in all services.

These are the entries from the handbook.

1) Engine Section
------------------
Water Pump Drive Belt (Tension, Wear) - the handbook calls for replacing this at 60000 kms. I was wondering if this needs to be unconditionally replaced at 60000 kms or only if something is wrong. And how much does replacing this cost?

2) Brakes Section
-----------------
Master cylinder/Wheel cylinder/Calliper(Oil leakage, Bootcut). The handbook says to replace this every 40000 kms. Again is this unconditional or only if something is wrong? I had my brakes cleaned at both the 40000 km & 50000 km service, but the service guys didn't tell me anything about this.
I don't remember this being done during my 40000 km service. However, I am getting my brake pads changed next weekend, so if this is required, I can get it done then. Any idea what this work involves & how much will it cost? Is this related to only front or also relevant to the back?

Mods, if there is some other thread where this can be merged, please do so.
Get the belt checked for cracks. The belt won't cost a lot IMO, but if it breaks it will cause the engine to overheat and may damage it.

The Master Cylinder has a good life, just get it inspected. The master cylinder is a very vital component of the braking system.

Is the car still running 1st pair of brake pads?
Old 13th February 2011, 22:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

Belt i would recommend replacement, really worth it. Brake inspect and then replace, usually the pads are the ones that are replaced.
Old 13th February 2011, 23:27   #6
BHPian

For all those suggesting that the master cylinder is a lifetime component, please be aware that IT IS NOT.

The chance of brake failure increases as the rubber seals harden with age. For example, Japanese domestic market cars are REQUIRED BY LAW to get all rubber parts, including the master cylinders, replaced EVERY three years, in order to be certified to be safe for road use there.

Having said that, as long as the brake fluid is changed every two yeras, master cylinders can last several years before change should be considered to ensure safe braking.
Old 14th February 2011, 09:39   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
Get the belt checked for cracks.
Is this something I can do on my own - checking, I mean. Or should I just ask the service people to check it at the 60000 km service?
Quote:
The belt won't cost a lot IMO, but if it breaks it will cause the engine to overheat and may damage it.
Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how much it will cost?
Quote:
The Master Cylinder has a good life, just get it inspected. The master cylinder is a very vital component of the braking system.

Is the car still running 1st pair of brake pads?
Yes, 1st set of brake pads. Will be changing it in a week or two. Does anyone know what is the OEM brand of pads which come with the Swift Petrol?
Old 14th February 2011, 11:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

Water pump belt replace at 60k, even if its not cracked. As i said its a silly part which can give lot of trouble if it fails. Max cost would be 1000 bucks for them plus 200 bucks of labor. But trust me worth it. Brake pad brand i have no idea, though new ones are improved and does not make that irritating krr sound when damp.

EDIT belt is only 200 bucks according to this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...icelist-4.html

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th February 2011 at 11:05.
Old 14th February 2011, 11:10   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Water pump belt replace at 60k, even if its not cracked. As i said its a silly part which can give lot of trouble if it fails. Max cost would be 1000 bucks for them plus 200 bucks of labor. But trust me worth it. Brake pad brand i have no idea, though new ones are improved and does not make that irritating krr sound when damp.

EDIT belt is only 200 bucks according to this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...icelist-4.html
Ok. Will replace belt at 60000 km if it's only Rs. 200.
Old 14th February 2011, 11:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, 1st set of brake pads. Will be changing it in a week or two. Does anyone know what is the OEM brand of pads which come with the Swift Petrol?
The OEM pads for the Swift are TVS Girling. I'll advice you to get the disc cut on a lathe (depending on the wear). It'll improve braking and ensure that the brake pad has full contact on the disc when the brakes are applied.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:10   #11
BANNED

Quote:
The OEM pads for the Swift are TVS Girling. I'll advice you to get the disc cut on a lathe (depending on the wear). It'll improve braking and ensure that the brake pad has full contact on the disc when the brakes are applied.
No scratches or cuts on the disc. Had my brakes cleaned a month back. I don't think disc cutting is required in this case, right?
I was told that disc cutting would be required only if I have worn the brakes badly (not replacing in time?) & the disc has scratches, cuts. I am not expert, though, so I will let others clarify this.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

belt shouldnt be more than 400 bucks, add labour around 200 bucks(not so intensive).
Master cylinder may set you back approximately 2k+ with labor.
not entirely sure.
you can call up a MASS, and ask them over the fone for availability, prices and included labor.
they do provide that information if you know exactly what you want replaced.
will put you in the ballpark range, then you can see....
cheerios!

PS: dont try and get the cylinder "fixed".Even if its a slight issue, change it.
If there is a failure on the road, it will render the car 110% immovable. i dont know about the swift, but the brake oil serves both the brakes and the clutch(fiesta, im talking about).When it blows, and leaks you lose braking, AND you wont be shift into gears or neutral.

EDIT:Same fluid reservoir for brakes and clutch, so the above is applicable.

Last edited by mayankk : 14th February 2011 at 13:06.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
No scratches or cuts on the disc. Had my brakes cleaned a month back. I don't think disc cutting is required in this case, right?
I was told that disc cutting would be required only if I have worn the brakes badly (not replacing in time?) & the disc has scratches, cuts. I am not expert, though, so I will let others clarify this.
The brake discs can get slightly warped with usage. I was a spirited driver and my first set of brakes only lasted for 15K kms. If the discs are uneven the brake pedal will start vibrating every time you use the brakes (Till they wear out according to the shape of the discs, I hope you get the drift).
For the moment only change the brake pads as advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
belt shouldnt be more than 400 bucks, add labour around 200 bucks(not so intensive).
Master cylinder may set you back approximately 2k+ with labor.
not entirely sure.
you can call up a MASS, and ask them over the fone for availability, prices and included labor.
they do provide that information if you know exactly what you want replaced.
will put you in the ballpark range, then you can see....
cheerios!

PS: dont try and get the cylinder "fixed".Even if its a slight issue, change it.
If there is a failure on the road, it will render the car 110% immovable. i dont know about the swift, but the brake oil serves both the brakes and the clutch(fiesta, im talking about).When it blows, and leaks you lose braking, AND you wont be shift into gears or neutral.

EDIT:Same fluid reservoir for brakes and clutch, so the above is applicable.
The Swift Petrol has a cable clutch so it is not related to the master cylinder.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The brake discs can get slightly warped with usage. I was a spirited driver and my first set of brakes only lasted for 15K kms. If the discs are uneven the brake pedal will start vibrating every time you use the brakes (Till they wear out according to the shape of the discs, I hope you get the drift).
For the moment only change the brake pads as advised.

The Swift Petrol has a cable clutch so it is not related to the master cylinder.

My bad.
He's right for the petrol, though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks