Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 18:47   #1
BHPian

i10 disc Brakes

Dealer : Trident Hyundai, Yashwanthpur

I gave my i10 for regular service on 27th of Jan with a complaint that there is slight screeching noise coming from the brakes. The SA said it is fixed and delivered the car. I checked the next day and the screech was still present. The SA picked up the car once again on 30th and said there was a tiny pebble which was causing the noise. I accepted it and did not drive the car for a couple of days.
Later when I checked around the 4th the screech was still present and I did not get a chance to call the SA. Over the next week, the noise became very evident and finally I called them again and complained. The car was picked up again and the SA calls me and tells me that the discs have to be replaced (the car has done 8000 odd kms).
Now comes the interesting part, he also says that the warranty has expired on the 1st Feb and so I have to pay for the same.

I need some advice here. I don't mind paying if I have to but since the car was given for service with a problem when the car was under warranty and not fixed, is that a common ploy A.S.S's use to push the date so that car is out of warranty? Should I claim that since I gave the car for service in warranty period and the problem was not fixed, I should be covered under warranty?

The SA also suggests I go for an extended warranty (even though the brakes are not covered under extended warranty), the service manager promises a 'good deal' on the discs.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2011 at 14:59. Reason: Thanks! Adding dealer name to the opening post
Old 16th February 2011, 19:07   #2
BHPian

Re: i10 disc Brakes

I hate to say it but I think you've been had. A disc change after 8k kms - absolute crap. The screech could have been caused by worn out pads (for that too 8k kms is very less).

You can of course fight because they will have the km logged in when you gave the car for service and if the discs were worn out they should surely have been spotted after you pointed out the problem. Whether or not anything comes out of it is another matter though. Maybe they will take care of the problem if you create a scene. If not I suggest that you get a second opinion from a good independent garage. Even if it is the discs then sometimes a plane buffing job can do the trick (costs only around 200 bucks) rather than replacing entire discs.
Old 16th February 2011, 19:20   #3
BHPian

Exactly my point, I am just wondering if it is a ploy to get an extended warranty or for the parts.
Of course I am going to create a scene and I will be talking with the Service manager personally to see if the SA is trying to pull a fast one.

Does a scratch on discs warrant a replacement is the question.
Old 16th February 2011, 19:26   #4
BHPian

^^ Like I said before - a scratch at best requires buffing only. If the discs have enough strength (are thick enough) then a buffing job will do the trick. However you must still find out why the discs got scratched in the first place. If it was because of worn out pads then get the pads changed first.
Old 16th February 2011, 19:29   #5
BHPian

As I said, I was told the discs were scratched because of a pebble that got stuck. I am not sure how a pebble can get stuck and scratch the discs.
Again, as per the SA, the possibility of this happening is very remote.
Old 16th February 2011, 23:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I am not sure how a pebble can get stuck and scratch the discs.
Sometimes, it happens. Its the A.S.S procedure, to replace the disc if its scratched. Buffing is not there in their 'books'.

Take it to a good workshop and get it done. Should solve the problem.

btw, regarding the extended warranty, I suggest, you go for it.
Old 17th February 2011, 03:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Scratch on the disk will not cause screeching noise.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had the same issue with my i20. The problem persisted inspite of the workshop( Om Hyundai, Junagadh) having changed the front brake pads thrice( within one year), set of front brake discs once(All under warranty). Like you too, I was told the that a small pebble might have gotten into the discs causing the sound and "cut".
Picture below is from my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2091054

In January this year, I got the same issue sorted out from another (much better) Hyundai workshop. The brake noise hasn't come back since.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 17th February 2011 at 08:18. Reason: For inserting link
Old 17th February 2011, 09:46   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Patron : Firstly, please share the name of the dealer & the service advisor. Let other BHPians also know who this errant dealer / SA is. Plus, company officials frequent our forum on a daily basis for feedback. Reporting on such instances greatly helps improve overall service standards.

Your service advisor has played games with you, plain and simple. Not only did he avoid fixing the problem the first time, he shrewdly waited until your warranty period was over to tell you what the real issue is. Take it up with Hyundai and back your earlier visit (and the fact that you had reported the problem) with documentary evidence.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:16   #10
BHPian

A disc change at 8k kms is way to early, can you post a pic of the discs?. The discs can be cut on the lathe for 200~400 bucks to resurface them. Please check the brake pads to ensure that its not the brake pad wear indicator making the screeching sound.

I still can't imagine how a pebble can get stuck between the disc and the pads. And if the SA informed you about it on the 30, how can you have the same problem on 4th. Have a talk with the higher officials and give them a piece of your mind. In the meanwhile get the brakes checked at another service center.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:18   #11
BHPian

Thanks all for the replies. Some additional info:
Service Dealer: Trident Hyundai, Yashwanthpur

Update: This morning I was told that 'something' has been done to make sure the sound doesn't resurface. I will be receiving the vehicle today. Will have to see what is done. But still insists on replacing the disc. I will get the Ext. Warranty first and then tackle this.

Cheers
Old 27th October 2012, 12:06   #12
BANNED

I have Micra diesel which has run 13000 kms in 4.5 months. From the last fews days, while braking a squeeling/screetching noise is coming. I sent to the car to the workshop and they cleaned the brake pads. The noise returned the next day, I again took the car to the nissan workshop and the SA told me that the caliper might be the problem and said he would forward a complaint to Nissan and if the caliper is faulty, it would be replaced under warranty. I was also told that if the brake pads and discs need to be replaced, I would have to pay for them myself. Is what is he saying right? Why doesnt he find out if the caliper OR pads are the culprit? Are discs need to be replaced too if the pads are worn out? Pls suggest what to do ASAP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks