Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2015, 21:39   #31
BHPian

Re: Clutch change done - How to check?

This thread looks apt for my query. I got the clutch changed in my Santro Xing today. Clutch plate, pressure plate, bearings and cable were replaced at 1.14 Lakh KMs.

Now the clutch is butter smooth. But I am not able to digest it. Is it because I had been driving a very very hard clutch in last few months in bumper to bumper Delhi - Gurgaon traffic? You see people are uncomfortable both ways - when clutch was hard and now when it is butter smooth. It feels almost non-existent.

Is it normal to have a so so soft clutch after replacement? Has anybody experienced something similar?
Old 10th October 2015, 23:02   #32
Team-BHP Support

I think it is just the new parts, esp the release bearing and pressure plates giving you a pleasant experience. Unless there is a slip (raise in rpm without speed increase), don't bother about this. This is how it should be

Also do check if there is excessive free play of the cable, clutch actuation would be when pedal fully depressed only), if so reducing it will give a better feel.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th October 2015 at 23:03.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 23:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post

Is it normal to have a so so soft clutch after replacement? Has anybody experienced something similar?
Yes, new clutch is quite smooth. It will become a bit hard after a few days of usage.I have changed clutch twice in my 87000 Km run Innova.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 13:31   #34
BHPian

I took the car out this morning to test the clutch. Clutch is soft but it is working nice and fine. No slippage.

With handbrake on, I put the car in first gear and released the clutch (all on purpose). The engine stalled immediately. So I believe all is well. I also checked reverse gear and no problem there too.

In fact gear shifting has become much better. Earlier, I used to get the feeling that gears were not shifting properly. Used to get the feeling that gears were getting locked (hope I am using the correct word) - especially the reverse gear. For now, this problem is gone too.

Guess, its all about getting used to this new buttery clutch and the lovely experience. By the time I will get used to it, it would become harder ...

There is another thing that is now on my mind and disturbing me. Along with clutch, I also got timing belt changed but the FNG guy said timing tensioner is fine and didn't change it. People on this forum are now telling me I must have got the tensioner replaced. I had also asked the Hyundai Genuine Spare parts guy (from whom I bought all the stuff) if it must be changed with timing belt but he said its not necessary. So, I am confused now. Of course I am not going to get the car opened up again until next service in 6-8 months but people have now put me in quandry. I hope nothing goes wrong until next service.
Old 14th October 2015, 20:47   #35
BHPian

Its been 5 days since change of clutch. The drive has become smoother.
One week prior to that changed the engine oil to semi synthetic HP neo synth. Initially didnt the feel the difference but now the car is running smooth.
Dont know if it is magic of clutch change alone or engine oil change is now showing its effect but I am loving it.

With little foot press on accelerator the car runs at quite a speed unlike earlier. Gear shifting is buttery now. My left foot and back are a lot more relaxed after clutch change. I dont know but I am feeling steering a little lighter than before. Why? Any ideas? Or is it all in my mind again! :sly:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks